Life and times of the Caribbean/West Indies. Shake your sarong, drink some coconut juice and figure out the best way to hop from one isle to the next.

3 months in the Caribbean

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 18th, 2010
Thinking of spending 3 months in the winter of 2011 in Caribbean. Never travelled in this part of the world before and looking for recommendations ideas and suggestions, must sees,warnings.
We will be travelling on a budget of £80 a day for the two of us this includes everything, is this realistic.
We are in our 60s used to camping hosteling basic accommodation but expect clean rooms hot water electricity.

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2010
I am from the twin island of Trinidad & Tobago (T&T). Advice I can give is that 80 GBP per day will differ depending on the island in Trinidad the conversion is 9 to 1, the eastern caribbean almost 4 and Jamaica will be the highest amount. However T &T not being one of the more luxury islands like the eastern caribbean has many affordable accomodations for as little as US$20.00 a day and upwards. eastern caribbean is gorgeous but more pricey in general like Jamaica. There aren't many hostels like you can find Europe. What you do get are guest houses which can have any number of arrangements. Christmas in the Caribbean is usually a must have experience no matter where you stay. The best part is usually the food.

If you need any more info just let me know

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2010
You would probably need to scratch The Bahamas from your itinerary (if you were considering them.) I think it'd be pretty tough to stick to your budget here. I think it is possible in theory, but it would hard.

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 21st, 2010
The Bahamas and other US virgin islands and British virgin islands as well. These really do tend to be tourist destinations all of the above either use $US or pounds, not too much of a conversion there. If you are into shopping places like St. Maarten tend to be at least 30% cheaper than the US

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 28th, 2010
It's still gonna be difficult to get accommodation in St Maarten for such a low budget. You might look at Couchsurfing (google it) where people will let you stay in a room in their house for nothing!

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 5th, 2010
Take me with you! LOL. Seriously, consider the D. R. especially Boca Chica if you're a beach freak. Best wishes.

Dr. P.

Return to Caribbean/West Indies Travel