Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

4 days in Israel - What to do?

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: israel, tel aviv, jerusalem
  • Added on: April 29th, 2011
I will be visiting Israel for four full days, Wednesday to Saturday. Arrival at TLV is actually at 23:30 Tuesday with departure 08:00 Sunday. This is my first visit to .il .
With some of the sites around Jerusalem having thousands of years of history and lots to see and do in Tel Aviv, and just about every part of the country within driving distance, I was wondering what would be a reasonable schedule.

Four days will not do justice but will be enough to get a taste of the country. I am traveling adventure style, and the more I see and do in a short time the better. With a long flight home, I can get a good sleep on the way home :).

I was thinking to rent a car in TLV to gain mobility and avoid waiting on public transit, but I am not sure how the parking situation is. Any thoughts?

Should I get a hotel in Jerusalem and drive from there to Tel Aviv? Or the other way around? Does anyone have a recommendation for a hotel?

Thanks

yongmorgan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 2nd, 2011
Tel Aviv is very attractive city of Israel and it offers great nightlife, top class shopping and fabulous beaches. Along with this there are many ancient and wonderful sites surrounding this city like Jerusalem, Dead Sea, Bethlehem, Tiberias. You can rent a car there so as to make best use of time during the trip. Within the city you may face parking problems however driving to the surrounding areas is very easy and convenient. For car rental try to book as early as possible so as to get good deals.

DanaK

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
Might be too late for you, but just in case it isn't, do not get a car in Tel Aviv!
Driving in Tel Aviv is hell and parking is impossible. Get a car only if you want to travel outside of Tel Aviv. In the town itself, you're much better off renting a bicycle or even walking. If you want to be transported and don't want to deal with buses (although they are generally not too bad and are air conditioned) then you can take shared taxis (moniyot sheirut) along some important bus routes for the same price as the bus but they will drop you off and pick you up anywhere along the route. Normal taxis are also not that expensive. All in all, much better than driving a car!

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 29th, 2011
Don't bother with a car. Bus service between and within towns is reliable, fast, and reasonably priced. Jerusalem will take up as much time as you want to give it. Take a bus to Ein Geddis for a free float in the Dead Sea. Tel Aviv...meh. It was okay. Jerusalem was way, WAY more interesting.

excuse the dust

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 31st, 2011
Bideshi wrote:Don't bother with a car. Bus service between and within towns is reliable, fast, and reasonably priced. Jerusalem will take up as much time as you want to give it. Take a bus to Ein Geddis for a free float in the Dead Sea. Tel Aviv...meh. It was okay. Jerusalem was way, WAY more interesting.

I second the Dead Sea. Don't forget to have some sort of water shoes, though. The floor is all pebbles and rocks. Your feet will thank you.

Return to Middle East Travel