Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

A good travel insurance provider?

Charlie&Kim

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Tags: travel insurance
  • Added on: May 16th, 2008
Can anyone suggest a good, reliable and inexpensive travel insurance company for a round the world trip?
-thanks for the help

Africaholic

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 16th, 2008
On this site, you can compare many different trip insurance companies and plans (different benefits, etc.)

xoom

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 17th, 2008
world nomads is recommended by a lot of people.
Freedom lies in being bold.

blog: http://sybaritestory.wordpress.com/

RTWadict

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2009
there are some key points to consider:
- 24 Hour support
- toll free phone numbers in popular countries
- do you want it to cover everything or just major incidents
- Will it cover sports that you are interested in doing
- does it include medical evacuation
- Can you extend your policy while outside your resident country.

read the policys details.

heres my story:
After 3 years (12 month policys X 3) on my old policy, the company wanted me in NZ to renew. (i had been there just 3 months proir).
this covered everything, no excess. but it was $1200NZD /yr
Nice policy, was hospitalised w malaria (06), and broke an eardrum (08).. everything worked well..

I changed to World Nomads in Feb. half the price of my old policy, $100 excess.
in that $600/yr savings is enough to self insure (replace) my clothes/camera etc..

I broke my knee in March. The hospital & physio agreed to invoice World Nomads directly (The cashier at the hospital was not keen at all, asked who I was with, and then said ok, because they are great to deal with).

All in costs so far for my treatment will be around $1500 (mri, leg braces, xrays, surgeon consult, physio)
The MRI for a tourist in canada is $1800! (im on a working holiday visa so get the resident price)
I see the surgeon tomorrow for results of the MRI. I expect he will schedule surgery. Which will bump the total cost up by around ~$9k

Its not the small things that matter.... its the big costs that you should care about.

World Nomads support has been fantastic. they call me to see how things are going, which is a first!

Thats my story.. sitting here w crutches by my side, ice on my knee etc.. fun times :lol: .

Travelmatty

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 15th, 2009
I would also recommend World Nomads.

explorer4

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2010
If you are normal with no health conditions STA Travel do some good deals for trips!
If however like me you have a life threatening nut allergy! Insurance can sky rocket, i found opening a gold account with Natwest meant i could cut the cost right down (it offers free insurance if your healthy, but check for how many days in a row and how many times a year! - you can always add money and make changes to the terms though!)...the card also gets you discounts on hotels / attractions / dining around the world!

Hope that helps, Hanna

Bedhead

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2010
I've been pretty happy with Seven Corners, which has a variety of plans. Their service seems to be good--but I've never put it to the test, fortunately.
If you're going to visit Beijing, get some tips from an expat on where to stay, where to eat, and where to have fun.

Timmie

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2010
I thought I'd get travel insurance for this trip and found that World Nomads has 61 as an age limit. I am 65 with absolutely no health conditions. I see a couple of other companies but would appreciate anyone with experience with my situation responding as to one that is reputable. I'm already aware that the cost will be more but would like to at least know if it's an outfit I can count on.
"Whatever you can or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it". Goethe

La Lluvia

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2010
The BootsnAll office staff uses the Patriot International plan for US citizens. Non US persons use the Patriot America plan.

BnA travel insurance

This plan has 5 levels of coverage and will cover travelers over 61 years of age.

PDXnative

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2010
Why doesn't World Nomads offer a 12 month policy? And anyone know if they offer family coverage?
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

Traveller11

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 18th, 2010
PDXnative wrote:Why doesn't World Nomads offer a 12 month policy? And anyone know if they offer family coverage?

It seems to depend on the country of residence. Eg in Australia and UK you can get 14 month policies but only 6 months from the USA.

They do offer Family policies. Usually 2x single price.

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2010
We used World Nomads for our RTW trip they were very good and paid out while we were travelling when I had to have dental work done. Unfortunately I'm too old now to use them so we are insured with Go Travel that insure up to 75 yrs.
Jean

Return to Health and Travel