Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

A Map For Saturday

zhinnn

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 4th, 2010
It really was interesting to watch. I liked the soundtrack too. I can't think of too much more to say about it. It's about this guy who goes backpacking rtw and meets a bunch of backpackers... Well I watched it four times in a week for SOME reason but I don't know why! :lol:
"And so I too- for how many years- drawn by a cloud wisp wind, have been unable to stop thoughts of rambling." - Matsuo Basho

Arre

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 25th, 2010
I enjoyed it, and I don't blame him at all for not focusing on the destinations. Not everyone's headed the same places he went; the way it was presented, it's relevant for nearly all long-term travelers.

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 5th, 2011
It's good he didn't focus on destinations because there are 1001 documentaries/travel shows on those.

What I liked is that he focused on the process, which was what I was curious about and which is why I bought the DVD.

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2011
K2 wrote:It's good he didn't focus on destinations because there are 1001 documentaries/travel shows on those.

It’s not that I expected the movie to supplant National Geographic, but I think I would have appreciated some of the narrative a little more if it had been wound into the setting a little further.

This isn’t to say it doesnt happen. At one point, the movie turns its attention to post-tsunami Koh Phi Phi in Thailand, and the loosely coordinated efforts of backpackers working aside locals to help restore the island in the absence of any sustained assistance from the Thai government. Here, backpacker and destination are inexorably linked, and the movie fires on all cylinders.

The result is the most compelling five minutes of the entire movie. But that’s a minor criticism, and a tough thing to do when you are faced with vagabonds as subjects.

Previous

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies