Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

A Map For Saturday

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 2nd, 2010
Hi all,

I am thinking about buying A Map for Saturday. Has anyone seen it yet? How is it?

I cant seen to get it on NetFlix or at any other place besides their website. Anyway, before I drop $20, I was just looking for a quick movie review from any backpackers that might have seen it.

Thanks.

www.amapforsaturday.com
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I watched it and all of the extras that were on the DVD. It was good. I didn't want to spend the $20 either since I am putting all of my stuff into storage (leaving in ten days) but I did go ahead and order it. I liked the extras because it showed what happened to some of the people. I was a little disappointed because the trailer is so awesome but it was good. I would give it a B+.

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I live in New York and was able to find a copy of the dvd at the public library here. Might be worth looking into before making the purchase...
Europe travels
South America to SE Asia travels

St0ne

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

I thought it was good, it focuses mostly on other travelers rather than locals but it will certainly get you in the mood.

AmazingJulesVerne

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

I own it -- think it is a great movie and have watched it several times.
:D

LisaLu

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2010
I saw the end of "A Map for Saturday" on MTV (when it first came on), but noticed right away that it didn't repeat (which is weird, because MTV repeats EVERYTHING)! Anwway, I finally caved in & bought! My husband and I love it & we like watching it when it seems like we may never get to our departure date. We're still in the process of saving & should be heading on our RTW in a year and a half.

Anyway, it definitely keeps us motivated!!!
Our Blog: http://wallagrams.wordpress.com/
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
-anonymous-

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2010
I liked A Map for Saturday.

It’s a film that, like its director, goes its own way. Its narrative is assembled around the experience and the cast of characters, focusing on each character’s personal growth and emotional experience as vagabonds. Locales serve as backdrops and never as subjects.

As a fellow traveller, however, I would have appreciated a more expansive look at the destinations and the cultures therein. It seems that this was an opportunity missed, and some of the scenes come off as somewhat myopic.

If you're interested, you can check out our full review here.

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2010
I bought it. $20 hopefully well spent. Thanks for the advice all.

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2010
It's worth it—can't wait to hear what you think!

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2010
Kate and Dan wrote:I liked A Map for Saturday.

It’s a film that, like its director, goes its own way. Its narrative is assembled around the experience and the cast of characters, focusing on each character’s personal growth and emotional experience as vagabonds. Locales serve as backdrops and never as subjects.

As a fellow traveller, however, I would have appreciated a more expansive look at the destinations and the cultures therein. It seems that this was an opportunity missed, and some of the scenes come off as somewhat myopic.

I agree with this. It would have been nice if he would have put more focus on the locals, destinations, and cultures. But then, the director probably wanted to focus more on the travelers themselves, although I did hope that he would delve in deeper in understanding why some people want to do this.

But despite all that, it is very inspiring. Let me just say this -- I watched this on TV right after I arrived from a trip to Australia/NZ, and I just wanted to grab my backpack full of dirty laundry and head straight back to the airport. :D
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2010
I watched it this weekend and loved it. I felt that he hit all of the marks of long term round the world travel. I found myself totally relating to almost every part of his experience. It really got me excited for January 2011.

You know, I cant really knock him for not getting into the cultures and destinations. I think that topic has been done time and again, and just isn't what this movie was meant to be about. I thought the movie was about how long term round the world backpacking affects people and what they go through. What type of people do it and how it changes you. To me, the travel lifestyle is an aspect that might be brushed upon or addressed by other travel films and docs, but AMFS focuses on it and hits all the main points.

I wouldnt say this movie has changed my life, rather it made me really appreciate places I have been and the travel opportunities I have had... and the ones I am about to have.

Thanks all for the reviews and advice.

Darcy Perkins

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 23rd, 2010
Personally, it was okay, but not great. Let's say I'm glad it was a gift and the $20 wasn't mine.

C-and-C

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 24th, 2010
Just got around to watching this after picking it up from my local library. Given the low budget and self-documentation, I was pretty impressed with the documentary and felt it gave an authentic and accurate impression of solo life on the road. I agree with Travel Droppings that it did a great job of focusing on the travel lifestyle, which is what I was hoping it would do.

What I enjoyed most were the interviews of other travelers, specifically the parts where they talked about what their friends and family thought of their long-term traveling. We're a rare breed out there (especially American travelers) so it was nice to have the validation in our choice of traveling...
Europe travels
South America to SE Asia travels

Skylab

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 24th, 2010
Very much worth a watch. He's new one 'One Day in Africa' is just as good as well. Highly recommend it. I have full reviews on AOB.
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 22nd, 2010
I think the DVD was meant more to expose what life as a backpacker is like. Not so much the destination as the journey.

Next

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies