With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

A question about Ghana

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 10th, 2011
Very soon I may have the opportunity to go with a university group on a trip to Ghana. I've done my internet research, and it has its interesting elements, but I don't know a lot about it.

Presumably this means it isn't as dangerous as say, the Congo, Somalia, Nigeria, or Algeria, but that's not saying much. I know it has a very high rate of AIDS and some other interesting diseases, but what non-desert African country doesn't? That doesn't scare me so much.

Soi- Has anyone ever been to Ghana? If so, what interesting things are to be found there, what valuable things are to be learned there that are not covered in the google search "Ghana- tourism", and even some worthwhile things that are.

I'm not in the decision stage yet, but if anyone has been there and has something to say about the country, I'm listening.

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 10th, 2011
I have been to Ghana quite a few times...most recently in Jan 2010. Accra has changed a lot over the years, even to the point of now having a mall with a cinema showing the latest films. To me, the top things to do in Ghana are visit the former slave castles (Cape Coast, Elmina...) and eat street food. When in traffic (where you will undoubtably find yourself if you visit Accra) vendors come up to the windows selling donuts, roasted plantains (!), tiger nuts, etc.

This most recent visit, we went to Kakum National Park and did the canopy walk. Definitely an awesome experience to be above the trees on a tiny bridge held together by rope, planks, and chain link fencing. The Volta Region is beautiful and lush too, with the massive Akosombo Dam.

Ghana was the first African nation to gain independence from colonization. There is a Kwame Nkrumah memorial worth visiting. The outdoor part of it is better than the pathetic inside "museum". There is also a great market near there where you can get kente cloth, drums, carvings, etc.

Hope all this helped. Oh, and definitely get typhoid fever vaccine.

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2011
Thanks a lot. Usually I avoid the vaccines, and haven't been gotten yet, but Africa is a whole other kettle of fish.

So I need to go to the travel medicine department here, talk to the organisers of the trip, and see just what they recommend.

I THINK my dpt shots are in order, but still need some others.

Phil in the Blank

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 22nd, 2011
Ghana actually has a low AIDS rate along with almost all of West Africa. It is in Southern and parts of East Africa that you see the higher AIDS rates.

It is one of my favorite countries in the region. Definitely check out the volta region in the east and the beaches around takoradi in the west. Akwidaa is an incredible fishing village with great accommodation nearby (green turtle lodge). As was said above, kakum, cape coast, elmina are some of the bigger attractions and ghana and they are definitely worth a visit. As is Kumasi and I would say Bolgatanga, for a taste of northern village life. Mole is the largest game reserve and while it's possible to see a lot of animals, including elephants, it's not on par with Pendjari in Benin or the game parks of east and southern Africa. Music is incredible. Catch some highlife and palm wine guitar music in Accra. Hiplife is great for dancing. The people are some of the warmest you will meet anywhere.

Take care, Phil
Phil Paoletta
http://philintheblank.net - Traveling West Africa collecting and making music along the way.

Return to Africa Travel