Shortcuts to the top content-heavy, interesting, enlightening or just all-around-awesome threads.

A question we've probably all asked ourselves in the past...

MPags

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 14th, 2006
I never met Kinga, and quite honestly was unfamiliar with her until learning about her passing, which came all too soon.

The kind words expressing condolances and the effect she had on others paint a touching depiction of her legacy and how she will be remembered.

How she will be remembered. That last bit got me thinking. Her death brings the reality of our own limited lifespan into relief. The day will come for all of us, though hopefully not before our time.

As I mull this sobering fact over, I can't help but wonder, "how will I be remembered when I go?" Or maybe stated better in a more proactive light, "how do I want to be remembered?"

We're the only species on earth with awareness of our own mortality, so I suspect that it is in our nature to ask the question of ourselves. Put more simply, I'm willing to bet that we've all wondered the same thing from time to time.

It's a question that's been bouncing around my head a fair amount these days. The answer, for me anyway, is ethereal and fluid at best, but if I had to make an attempt at concretizing it even slightly, it would be something along the lines of...

I want to be remembered as someone who lived their life to the fullest, and expressed his humanity in the best way he knew how. As someone who, while aware of his limitations, was sucessful in realizing his full potential. As someone who travelled all over and had all sorts of adventures because he understood that life was meant to be embraced, and enjoyed fully, and that there shouldn't be anything left in the end...not something to be endured like a trip to the dentist. As someone who valued the wisdom that other cultured had to offer, others outside the one he grew up in. As someone who valued minor events and small details more than big paychecks, because those are moments that shape you. Finally, as someone who lived his life as he wanted to, not as some one or some society expected him to.

Alright, your turn. How do you want to be remembered? How do you define yourself?
------------------------------
"There are two kinds of people.....those who go out and see the world and those who stay at home and hope it comes to them." -Chainsaw Benny

JessieS

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 15th, 2006
This is a great question, and thinking in these terms - living life in the way that you want to be remembered - is a great idea.

Personally, I'd like to be remembered as a kind person, a good person, who was helpful to others without cheating myself out of the good things in life; a person with lots of friends; a person who wasn't quick to judgment (this is a tough one); and, since I'm not a mom, I'd like to be remembered as the most kick-ass Aunt ever. Smile

Great thread, MPags.
The Official BootsnAll Italy Travel Guide
Are you on Twitter? Follow me!

MPags

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Whew...what a relief!! Glad someone likes it.

I was getting worried that the topic was too sobering.
"There are two kinds of people.....those who go out and see the world and those who stay at home and hope it comes to them." -Chainsaw Benny

Spiralout

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

Mpags, I only just found the thread - don't know how it elluded me. In any event, it's a great question that demands a reasonable amount of consideration.
Please stand by....

JessieS

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

I added it to the Best of the Boards, too, which might help. I hope more people respond, it really is a good question. Smile

MPags

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Spiralout:
Mpags, I only just found the thread - don't know how it elluded me. In any event, it's a great question that demands a reasonable amount of consideration.
Please stand by....

I absolutely agree.....it took me a good day to figure out what I wanted to say, and a few beers to make sure it came out the way I wanted it to.

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

"The value of our lives can only be measured by what we mean to the people in them."

-me Smile

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

you should all listen to travis, he is a smart man. whenever he comes to portland hes always giving me these talks and is quite motivational. thanks!
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

*blush*

You're the sweetest tiff, thanks.

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

Good question. I want to be remembered as a generally good person, with faults, who could have a good time and be a good friend/daughter/etc. Someone who took the advantages given and ran, but kept it all in perspective.*

*Poignant question. I just lost my grandfather last night, so have been thinking more about how I want to remember him than how I might want to be remembered.

travelgirltiff

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

this is kind of a hard question for me to answer. im just getting to know myself at this point, thinking about how i want to be remembered is a bit too far down the road for me. and i have already spent to much time looking to the past and the future for that matter. at this point im concentrating on the now. but a good and interesting question nonetheless. maybe when i get myself figured out id be better prepared to asnwer that question.
The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.”"

salmo99

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I think this question also goes to how we live our life, and living for more than our own gratification... to me, legacy is very important, and takes me out of the self absorbed realm. By legacy, I mean leaving something behind of lasting value for the people who come after me.

Personally--and speaking only for myself--this is how I have elected to live my life. The acid test is this: at the end of my life, can I look back and honestly say "I have left the planet with acts and unique works--a legacy--that will outlive me. I have left it a better place and the net result of my life was a positive."

It sounds simple, but consider how different the world might be more people embraced it. Just my 2 cents worth..

JessieS

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

What's the Native American philosophy about thinking of the seventh generation? Like, not how would our present-day actions affect us, but how will they affect the people who are living seven generations down the road? It's an interesting way to think about what we do now and the impact it has on not just the Earth but the people on it.

Jester

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

I'd like to be remembered as 'still alive'.

As in "Do you guys remember Kevin?"...."Yeah, haven't seen him in a while, but he's still kickin' around somewhere."

SputnikLee

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by JessieS:
What's the Native American philosophy about thinking of the seventh generation? Like, not how would our present-day actions affect us, but how will they affect the people who are living seven generations down the road?

I heard this differently from my grandfather, who emigrated to the US from Italy. 'Six generations build; the seventh destroys.'

Interesting that seven generations should be seen as a watershed by two different cultures.
A life well lived must accept some risk.

Next

Return to Best of the Boards