Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling in Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

A tramping question from a semi-long term Aucklander

Badly Drawn Girl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 5th, 2006
So here's my dilemma. I'm currently working in Auckland on a WHV (which may be extended if I decide to take a permanent position with the company I'm at) and one of my main must-do things while I'm in New Zealand is lots and lots of tramping. However, as I'm not making the hugest salary in the world, the less time I take off work the better (instead of what most people do, which is live off their savings and do it all in one go). So I was wondering what the best way to approach my trips - should I do a lot of little one-off trips, or are there any major trails that are kind of in the same region that I could easily do back-to-back within a few days of each other? I'm very interested in doing the Milford track, but as I would have to fly into Christchurch and then take a bus out there, if there were any other routes in that area I might consider doing them as well just to minimize my travel costs.

Also, as I don't own a car nor do I even drive (I'm a former New Yorker, lol) are there any tracks that are totally inaccessible by public transit that I should know about?

kyretech

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

All of the Great Walks are accessible by public transit as far as I know. You should look through the DOC website for information on all the tramps in NZ. There is a wealth of information there and it may help in planning some fo your trips.

The Milford, Routeburn, and Kepler are all very close, and the Routeburn (at the least) has sections that you can take for day hikes or shorter trips. I wouldn't do these back to back, but you may be able to do one and then portions of another after a day or two. My personal goal is to hike the Abel Tasman (which I've already done), the Routeburn, Kepler track, Milford track, and Tongariro, plus some of the many other walks across the country. There are alot of smaller hikes in your area, so you should check those out as well.

Where in the World is Saura
It's not the days in your life, but it's the life in your days." --Richard Clark of the Exceptional Children's Assistance Center, Asheville, NC

Aziraphale

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

From Auckland, tripping down to Tongariro is a good weekend trip. It only takes a day (about 6 hours) but you'll need to get to the mountain relatively early. Best to check Intercity for times to get you to Taupo, and if you google bus and tongariro there are a few tours that drop you off at the start and pick you up in the afternoon. So, if you went down Friday night, and caught a night bus back saturday night, you could recover all day Sunday.

Badly Drawn Girl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 6th, 2006
I'm definitely planning to do Tongariro sometime soon - isn't there a "loop" track as well as the crossing though? I checked on the DOC website and the itinerary I found said it took about 2-3 days, which I presume is walking around the whole mountain range. Would I be better off doing the longer trip or is the crossing enough?

Aziraphale

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Had a thought last night, you are probably best to join a Tramping club.

This way you won't have to worry about transport, yay! And you'll get to see heaps of stuff you wouldn't have otherwise found by yourself, AND you'll meet some new peeps.

There are quite a few tracks in the Tongariro park, and the great walk is a few days long. I've done a three day one, but it wasn't a loop, and nowhere near as scenic as the one dayer I did (still really freaking cool though).

Looking at the little map on the DoC site the day walk is from Mangatepopo to Ketetahi and out through Ketetahi hut track.
The three day one I did (it was a while ago, I can't remember exactly) was (I think) from Mangatepopo to Whakapapa out to Waihohonu then onto the state highway (east). It was pretty easy going, 4 hours on the first day, and 6 hours each day on the second two days. Although the end bit was pretty easy, all flat.

Aziraphale

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Okay, it was really ages ago that I did that three day walk (about 13 years). After having a good look at the DoC page, realised it was around Ruapehu not Tongariro.

D'oh.

Badly Drawn Girl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2006
Oh hey, the Auckland tramping club looks right up my alley! Thanks heaps! Looks like this should save me a ton of money on transportation, which was my main worry - plus I'd hate to have to always be going it alone.

Return to Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Islands Travel