Discuss a good book to read on a trip or movies that make you long to be on the road. Share your recommendations for music - both your old favorites and the new ones you discovered overseas. Brag about run-ins with the hottest upcoming bands.

Actors "faking" accents for movies: the good, bad and ugly

Pirri

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 26th, 2008
I have to put in a complaint about Americans in particular trying the Australian accent. I have yet to hear a Yank who can do the accent properly with out making us sound like where either Kiwi's, South Africans, English or some painful Americanised combination of the lot. I'd have to say that the only foreigners I have heard do our accent properly, apart form the Kiwis is the British and the only ones I can think of is Helena Bonham Carter and Kate Winslet in separate movies that I can't think of. Daniel Radcliffe did a pretty good job of it in December Boys but there were aspect of the British there.

So some of the worst Aussie accents
* Point Brake for so many reasons other than the accents but particularly the cop on the beach at the end. He didn't even make an effort.
* Meryl Streep in Evil Angels (painful)
* and lets not forget Mad Max 1 which was dubbed for American audience because it was thought they would have trouble understanding the Australian accent. (What the...?)

* But the truly worst I heard is form the 1963 John Wayne Movie "Donovan's Reef" where the Australian Navy arrives for some shore leave and you wouldn't have picked it if they hadn't have told you and rolled out every Australia cliche known to man from convict jokes to waltzing Matilda, but there were 3 or 4 main Australian: one had a horridly bastardised Irish accent, and the others were Americans with what sounded like some pretty severe speech impediments any accent was indistinguishable.

Hideo

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2010
The numerous minor characters in Braveheart attempting a Scottish accent.

Either they were all from Northern Ireland and just used their own accents, or the actors were trying and failing with their Scottosh accents, or the producers just thought that accent was close enough to Scottish and let it go.

Truly painful.
The Never Ending Tour - short tales from my travels http://www.theneverendingtour.blogspot.com/

My Japan World Cup Blog http://japan.worldcupblog.org/

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step."

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2011
I recently spoke with some friends who say Russel Crowe in the newest robin hood is laughable. His accent travels from one country to the next throughout the whole film.

Anyone else seen it?
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

Previous

Return to Travel-Related Books, Music & Movies