What country has the best cuisine? What did you eat that made you sick? What on earth is airline food really made of? Get answers to these burning questions and more in the Food and Travel Forum.

Africa Overland, Foods not to be missed.

Food Pilgrim

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 7th, 2011
Hi all,
I will be joining an overland trip this April from Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe through Botswana, Namibia and on to Capetown, South Africa.
Any suggestions on foods not to be missed?

AsaG

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2011
I wonder if the lack of response to your enquire means that most of us that have travelled to Africa didn’t go there for the food!

Corn is an important stable in the diet in this part of the world, but some of these countries are also very meat orientated, e.g. Namibia. You should definitely try some Game dishes while there. Popular dishes include kudu, springbok, and gemsbok… all delicious. Zebra and Ostrich are also tasty.
Braii is a popular way of cooking (Afrikaans for barbecue / grill). You must also try Biltong (cured meat originated in South Africa). If you like beer, you should try the local beer in each country.

The food in restaurants in the big cities like Cape Town and Windhoek tend to be European in style, and quite bias towards German dishes in Namibia. I am attaching a link to Joe's Beer House in Windhoek, I remember clearly how great it was after few weeks on the road (it is very popular so booking ahead is recommended).

http://namibia.mydestinationinfo.com/en/joes-beer-house

Your trip itinerary sounds great, I am sure you are going to love it (or hate it, there is kind of no other options available where Africa is concerned). My money is on the first option. I wish you a safe journey.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.top-travel-tips.com/

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 22nd, 2011
I certainly found it hard to think of culinary experiences I'd want to repeat.

I was offered termites and grubs and all kinds of weird foods in central Africa. I ate that awful wallpaper paste stuff (manioc). Probably the best odd food I had was crocidile which was well marinated and barbecued in a fancy restaurant.

Oh, the bananas were wonderful - there are so many varieties in Africa. Some that you never see anywhere else, that I know of. For example, I had some tiny bananas that tasted like powdered sugar. And the mangoes are lovely too.

And I agree with AsaG, you should definitely try the local beers. I enjoyed them quite a bit, and I'd pry off the labels and stick them in my diary as a souvenir.

Return to Food & Travel