With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss this huge and diverse continent.

Africa Recommendations and Raves

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 10th, 2005
This is a new thread full of Africa information. It is to be used for Africa-specific tips, advice and recommendations ONLY. As a content-rich thread, we do not want any back-and-forth or questions. Please direct all questions via Private Messages (Click on "Go" in the left hand corner, select "My Space" and then "Private Messages") to the poster. You can also issue a PM by clicker on the poster's name and selecting "Private Message". Any post that does not contribute relevant information will be deleted. Examples include: responses to previous posts in the thread and questions. The information can be on any city, region or country in Africa. Enjoy!

Jillian

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2005
I highly recommend:

Tanzania:

The Selous Game Reserve -- the animals I've seen in other game parks seem tame compared to the animals in Selous.

Kenya:

Hell's Gate National Park -- nothing quite like walking or riding a mountain bike through a game park.

Flamingo Camp -- a great place to stay on Lake Elementeita, near lake Nakuru. Probably the most helpful staff and some of the best food I've had in Africa. A little pricey, but worth it. (And the lake is beautiful too.)
Jill's African Adventure: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/jill/

Elis

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 13th, 2005
Don't forget about West Africa either. Senegal is a great place, I can only recommend it. I've also heard very good things about Gambia and Mali. For anybody who wants to go to Africa for people and culture more than safari, head west.

JeremyNYC

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 14th, 2005
I'll pick three, in no particular order:
- The Dogon Country, in Mali. It's a 30-mile-long cliff with villages up the sides of it, and you can do a five-day walking tour. They're still using a five-day week there. There are other tourists out on the route for sure, but it's still a pretty amazing thing.

- Victoria Falls. It's sort of a no brainer. It really doesn't matter how touristy the place is, though thanks to Mugabe's insane policies, the tourism's taken a huge nose dive on the Zim side. This place is just so effin spectacular. And if you can afford it, do the 15-minute helicopter ride over the falls. You won't regret it.

- The Eastern Highlands, in Zimbabwe. Pushed up against the border with Mozambique, this place is just surreal. People in the area are probably REALLY poor, now, so check with folks to make sure it's safe to be out there now, but it's really a fabulous place. [Lots of broken links there. Sorry.]

Caroline Cowan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 21st, 2005
Mozambique. The southern part is getting quite busy but it's still not overrun by tourists. The north is spectacular, nobody around, wonderful friendly mozambicans and lots of new places to discover. Beware - if you are driving - it is tough going - but an experience you'll never ever forget.

Zim is still fantastic even though they have a dodgy president - it doesn't make the country any less beautiful or the people any less human and at Vic Falls it's a short walk to the border post over to Zambia.

Egypt - just for the history and heritage.

Malawi - the friendly country. There may be no sea and no safaris but the beaches along Lake Malawi are amazing. This is one of the most relaxed and relaxing spots in Africa. And when you're there be sure to pick up a boa game ( and get someone to teach you - it helps pass the many relaxing hours doing otherwise nothing)

Lekianada

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 14th, 2005
Mauritius - beaches, food, friendly people.

Madagascar - lemurs and taboos. If you have the chance and speak a little French it's an incerdincredible adventure.

Morocco- watching the moon reflect off the building and fountains in Marrakech.

Cape Verde- dancing passada all night in make shift night clubs in Santo Antoã or drinking ponche de coco listening to mournas in Mindelo.
Shooting a picture is recognizing an event and at the very instant...It is a matter of putting your brain, your eye and your heart in the same line of sight. It is a way of life.- Henri Cartier-Bresson

F1

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 10th, 2005
I highly recommend a visit to South Africa.

Check out the site http://www.sa-venues.com for more detail. In particular, have a look at Cape Town and The Garden Route.

GCStanat

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 18th, 2005
On our recent RTW trip we passed through Uganda, Tanzania, South Africa (Cape Town only), and Morocco. We've posted useful info about all these places (except Morocco, which we haven't gotten to yet) on our site:

Uganda low down (quick summary, including advice regarding gorilla trekking, etc.)

Other Uganda entries

Tanzania low down (quick summary, including safari advice, park descriptions, etc.)

Other Tanzania entries

Cape Town entries

And if you're interested, here's a link to our main galleries page, from which you can go to pix of all of the above: galleries

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me with any questions.

Grace
------
our RTW travel site: www.thirteenmonths.com

acs

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 14th, 2006
I went overland from Capetown to Cairo with African Routes go to http://www.africanroutes.co.za I had a great time but If you want to I think it'd be better to do Cairo to Cape Town. Went through Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan and of Course Egypt.
When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.
Clifton Fadiman (1904 - )

jessiemills

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2006
Cape Town (South Africa) stole my heart. I also recommend the Drakensburg Mountains.
South Africa is an amazing country with many beautiful people and places.
Loved it and I can't wait to return this coming March.

Jim Hunt

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2006
Namibia is one of the most gorgeous, accessible, and affable countries in Africa I've been to. Breaking it down to must see material, choose between the Etosha pans in the Etosha national park, or the Namib desert. Both stunning.

If you're one of those folks who likes their travels a little 'umtamed', try Mozambique. I haven't been there since the fall of 2002, but the group I went with had a great time, and you don't see as many tourists as you do in other sub-Saharan Africa. Try to make it to the Bazaruto Archipelago, the largest island is named Bazaruto. I don't know if it's still there, but there was a lovely little place called Gabriel's that had basic accomodations, better food, and was a 30 second stroll to the beach.

Lastly, try the Garden Route in South Africa. A string of towns along the eastern cape of the country, it's a great road trip while in the country. Knysna, in particular, was my favorite town, especially the old movie house.

Bethie

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2006
MALAWI!!! I spent two months there last summer and it was the best time of my life. It may not have the hot, touristy spots that Kenya has, but that's the beauty of it. It's often overlooked and it feels unspoiled. The Lake is so big I kept thinking I was at the ocean, and the beaches are breathtaking.

For the true African experience, visit the small towns and get to know the people. If they insist on you staying for dinner, which will no doubt be nsima, don't worry about eating food from people with already so little. Before you come, buy some tomatoes and eggs cookies and share these for the dinner. They'll be a rare treat for most families and it will be a dinner you both can enjoy!

Visit Nkhata bay! It may be one of the most touristy spots in Malawi, but that's still not bad. Stay at KUPENJA LODGE. It's in a great location and the it's a non-profit lodge. The owner, Chris, takes the money the lodge makes and helps mountain villages start nurseries and gardens so they can better sustain themselves. If you have a few days, go to some of the villages with him and help out. I promise you'll remember it forever.

For a relaxing break, take the Illala ship to Usisya and stay the night at Usisya Lodge. For 500 Kwacha per person (About $4.50) you get a thatched roof cottage stowed privately between some rocks on the waters edge. The Lodge itself has books and music and hammocks and anything else you could want.

GO TO VWAZA MARSH GAME RESERVE. The more north you go, the more expensive it gets, but you won't regret this place. You sleep in the reserve with the elephants and monkeys (no fences between you) and the people are incredibly friendly (as all Malawians are). If you don't have camping gear (camping is super cheap), there are self-catering chalets for something like $60 a night, and the luxery chalets are a little on the expensive side at $80 a night, but being able to watch elephants walk by two feet from you bedroom window and eating delicious breakfasts on the terrace as monkeys run by and hippos snort makes it more than worth it.

Ron77775

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 6th, 2006
I highly recommend Cape Town, South Africa, Tanzania safaris and Egypt for those wishing to explore Africa. You can have a wonderful experience in Botswana, which is relatively developed and safe and great for safaris, but is also more expensive. Once you're in Africa everything is cheap.

[edited by Slip]

shyrbaby

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 11th, 2006
backpacking in South Africa
The Eastern Cape is the ultimate backpacker destination for the adventurous traveler seeking unmatched natural and cultural diversity. Here you'll find unspoiled beaches with legendary waves, majestic mountain hideaways where hobbits lurk, stark Karoo landscapes that hide ancient rock art and the country's friendliest cities. Welcome to Mandela's homeland, it's time to travel!
www.bullfrogspas.com

secretgarden

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 20th, 2006
Lamu, Kenya
Anywhere in Malwai
Dahab, Egypt

Next

Return to Africa Travel