Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Am I being realistic ? work, budget & couchsurfing questions

dimz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 19th, 2010
I'll be heading to Australia in July. Once my ticket is paid I'll have about 30.000€ (euros), which is about 40.000$ (american dollars). My working holiday visa enables me to stay over there for 12 months (extended to 24 if I work for the same employer during 3 months in some specific regions)

I'd like to see the whole country and take my time to do that. I'm roughly counting on 100$ a day, as mentionned in Lonely Planet Australia last edition. I'll be sleeping in hostels and eventually do some couch surfing.

In order to keep my budget up, I'm willing to do some work in Australia. If possible, I'd like to settle down in a remote location (I'm up for some quietness :) ) and find a job for some time (3 to 6 months). I read a lot about how easy it is to find work in Australia but am wondering if this is really the case? I have no experience as a farmworker, neither as a worker in a pub or in a bar. Over here, I'm working in IT.

So, are my plans realistic, considering my budget and my work intentions ? Also, are there any recommended places to settle down and find a job for a while ? Has anyone experience with couch surfing, and how was your experience about it ?
"Open-mindedness is a process of listening and considering--of muting your compulsion to judge what is right and wrong, good and bad, proper and improper, and having tolerance and patience to try to see things as they are." Rolf Potts

Bellbird

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 22nd, 2010
$100/day should be just fine. Regarding work, the popular one for tourists is fruit picking:
http://www.outback-australia-travel-sec ... ralia.html
http://www.fruitpicking.org/
Hope those help. I think it depends a lot on the seasons though.

Bars might be a bit harder to find work in as there are a lot of rules and regulations like RSA licenses (Responsible Service of Alcohol) but those aren't compulsory so smaller bars might be happy to hire you.

Not sure if that was useful at all! But it sounds like you've done your homework and should have a great trip!
MP3 Walking Tours: Sydney Tours

dimz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2010
Thanks for the input. I didn't know fruitpicking.org, I will check it out. Fruitpicking is something I really wanna do. On the harvest trail site, there's also a complete guide about best seasons for each type of fruit. I'm not so sure about bars and pubs, altough, I think it can be a great experience :-)
"Open-mindedness is a process of listening and considering--of muting your compulsion to judge what is right and wrong, good and bad, proper and improper, and having tolerance and patience to try to see things as they are." Rolf Potts

wandergurl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2010
I had this massively long reply for you and then my computer hung and it disappeared!

I think $100 a day is reasonable. What part of IT are you in? You might be able to do contract based helpdesk work, or at least customer service technical assistance over the phone, if you're ok with that. Try checking out http://www.seek.com.au. Those jobs pay more than the average bar/cafe work.

Would probably suggest working in a bigger city first, then saving extra money and going to those remote locations that you are interested in. You might also try going to "smaller" cities - maybe the 2nd largest city in a state. Its also possible that the regional areas that are looking for migrants in certain fields (IT is one of them) may have contract jobs for work holiday visas as well.

I am a couch surfer. Australia, especially the bigger cities (Syd, Melb & Bris) have a lot of demand for couches, and most people prefer visitors for a few days only. Its a pretty active group, so even if you just want to meet people, they have meetings almost every week - I haven't gone in a while - so you meet other travellers as well as locals, and I would recommend it. It also helps if you go to gatherings, meet people and that way they can vouch for you when you eventually do need a couch somewhere else.

I think you appear to have planned this well, so you should be fine :)

dimz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 30th, 2010
@Wandergurl: I'd have loved to read your massively long mail. Damn computers, right :)

As a matter of fact I'm in the support/technical part of I.T. Have done some help-desk work too, so I guess I might fit pretty well in those positions :) Thanks for the link, will check it out.

I'm excited about the whole couch-surfing thing, I think this an excellent way to meet locals and other travelers as you mention which is why I want to travel in the first place. I've already contacted some people, and the main impression is that most of the times people are very friendly and open-minded.

Thanks for your advice, and if something else pops in, I'd be glad to hear about it :)

Two months till I'm heading to Oz, starting to count the days...

wandergurl

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 1st, 2010
no worries! feel free to message if you have any other questions and i will try my best to answer them!

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 9th, 2010
Have you joined Hospitality Club (similar to CS but no registration fee). We stayed and met up with many people on our RTW trip. It made for a fantastic time but it's not all plane sailing. You get people who don't turn up or let you down last minute but then on the other hand people who are so generous, pick you up from the airport(China)railway station(USA). The guy in China is always looking for people to teach English in the college where he is head so if you are ever in China drop me a PP and I'll give you his contact details.
Always have a loose plan B just as a back up for accommodation.
Australia is an easy country to travel in, you'll easily get a job fruit picking but the people work 12 hr days and it is back breaking but the monies good I understand. I recon budget wise you have enough.
If you get the chance do snorkle the Great Barrier Reef it is the most amazing thing to do, Sydney and Melbourne are great cities and in general the people and way of life are pretty low key. We travelled the East coast from Queensland to the Great Ocean Road an amazing 3 months travelling in a battered campervan.
Best of Luck and keep safe.
Jean

dimz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 13th, 2010
Hey Jeannie,

I didn't check out hospitality club but will do so. right now I'm looking around in couch-surfing, already got some contacts in Australia. thanks for the china tip, I don't intend to travel there for now, but who knows :) Snorkeling the great barrier reef is definitely on my list!
thanks for the reply!!

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 15th, 2010
dimz wrote:I'll be heading to Australia in July. Once my ticket is paid I'll have about 30.000€ (euros), which is about 40.000$ (american dollars). My working holiday visa enables me to stay over there for 12 months (extended to 24 if I work for the same employer during 3 months in some specific regions)

I'd like to see the whole country and take my time to do that. I'm roughly counting on 100$ a day, as mentionned in Lonely Planet Australia last edition. I'll be sleeping in hostels and eventually do some couch surfing.

In order to keep my budget up, I'm willing to do some work in Australia. If possible, I'd like to settle down in a remote location (I'm up for some quietness :) ) and find a job for some time (3 to 6 months). I read a lot about how easy it is to find work in Australia but am wondering if this is really the case? I have no experience as a farmworker, neither as a worker in a pub or in a bar. Over here, I'm working in IT.

So, are my plans realistic, considering my budget and my work intentions ? Also, are there any recommended places to settle down and find a job for a while ? Has anyone experience with couch surfing, and how was your experience about it ?

You don't have to work for the same employer for 3 months to get a second WHV - you need to have worked for a minimum of 88 days in a specified industry in regional areas. And you don't have to do the 88 days straight either.
The Harvest Trail and Stoned Crow are good websites. To work in a pub, bar or any place where you would be serving or selling alcohol, you will need an RSA Certificate.
You may find it difficult to get work in the IT industry here.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

dimz

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 16th, 2010
Whistler wrote:You don't have to work for the same employer for 3 months to get a second WHV - you need to have worked for a minimum of 88 days in a specified industry in regional areas. And you don't have to do the 88 days straight either.

Wow, that is great news! I didn't realize the 3 months hadn't to be done straight...

Whistler wrote:To work in a pub, bar or any place where you would be serving or selling alcohol, you will need an RSA Certificate.

Thanks, hadn't looked into it yet, I didn't know I get the certificate online.

Thanks for all the infos!! muchos appreciated :)

Ruthiewoods

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 23rd, 2010
One thing that a lot of people don't know about getting a 2nd working holiday visa in Australia is that it is not only working 88 days in a regional area, but it MUST be a region / town that is listed by postcode on the government list. Some of the towns in areas that rely on fruit pickers are NOT listed. So you must check first on the government website if it is your intention to extend your visa.

tvl2

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 27th, 2010
Hey dimz,

Well, as a matter of fact, the mind can learn and unlearn. Having the drive to
adapt and work in order to support your stay is of great importance. The way it
turns out to be, you plan things in an advance manner. However, let us take into account
that not things can go wrong, and for that you should have an alternative plan
so as to avoid any complications. I think you'll do just fine. Best of luck on looking
for your dream place. :)

amalthea

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 20th, 2010
wow! you could live like a backpacking king off $40 grand! I got to Aus with $2,000 in my bank and have been here for almost a year now. Yes, I've gone through one or two worrisome periods, but somehow everything eventually worked itself out. It's really amazing just how easy it is to live in this country without much money at all. If I was to add up all the time I spent working here, it would probably be 3 months solid? I've accumulated less than 7 grand I'm sure. I guess it all depends on how extravagantly you like to live.
You're probably here by now, so this won't make too much difference I'm sure, but the cheapest way to do it is to buy yourself a campervan, that way you don't have to waste money on hostels AND you have your own transportation.
I think most of the backpackers that come here don't have any experience working on farms, I didn't. And the farmers realize this. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding work, as long as you're persistent.
Hope you're having a great time in Aus!

chocomoonstar

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 14th, 2011
you don't have to spend much for your stay here at Australia, however if you loose track of your savings and money, you can just work part-time as a waiter or something. If you're a fan for alcohol, beer, vodka and the likes, you're qualified to work as a bar attendant that a local pub as long as you have a certificate for (RSA) Responsible Service of Alcohol. If not, you can try enrolling online through RSA Online.. goodluck on your career and have fun! :)

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel