Research visa restrictions, safety issues and the best way to pick a guide in the Middle East. Learn about the countries beyond the media hype and discover why the people make the place.

Americans safe to travel to Jordan right now?

Harlock

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 20th, 2005
I'm considering my next big photo trip to Jordan. I mainly want to explore Wadi Rum, Petra and roman and other ruins, staying away from big cities.

I went all over Turkey a few years ago and it was a grand thing. It was Post 9/11 but pre-IRAQ-II, and no problems at all. Everyone friendly, secular government, wonderful hospitality.

I have been reading the experiences of travellers to Jordan on here, and they are all very very positive, but they are all somewhat out of date. (2001 or so). I am wondering if anything's changed since then, Jordan being geographically in the center of everything, but seemingly staying out of the fray. I am mainly worried about Islamic extremists targeting American travellers as a way to vent their rage in a personal and direct manner. Are there any documented cases of violence or harrasment in Jordan recently?

Do the Bedouins care about the situation around them, or are they indifferent?

Would it be advisible to have a Jordanian guide accompany me from Amman to the south regions?

I checked the US state department website, and there is no specific travel advisory. But in the general listing for Jordan there are the usual caveats. The ironic thing is that the warnings for Turkey are now a lot worse than Jordan due to the embassy bombings in Istanbul.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

--Mike

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 25th, 2005
Ohh...good questions...I've heard good things about Jordan right now, but I can't tell you from personal experience. A guide would help (esp with the language barrier) but I'm not sure about the rest of it..

amyadrift

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2005
Hey Mike -
I'd love to hear anything that you find out..I'm trying to do some digging around as well to find out about not only Jordan, but Syria as well.
My friend and I (both of us white females) plan to travel overland from Istanbul to Cairo via Syria and Jordan in late June and are debating whether to go it alone or if we might feel more comfortable/safe doing an overland truck tour for this portion of the trip.

One bummer: a visa to get into Syria needs to be arranged in advance from what I can tell and costs $100

-Amy

SuzTours

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2005
Jordan seems to be as safe now as at any time... and a beautiful place to visit and explore. The people are friendly and helpful, but I would suggest a guide, especially to go to Wadi Rum and Petra in the south or Jerash in the north or really any part outside the area around Amman.

And just in case you want to go to Jordan via Israel (and see a bit of Israel in the process), border crossings between Jordan and Israel, while slow and a bit intrusive, are open... the one in the Arava (near Eilat) being the easiest from what I can tell, and you can usually get a visa there on the spot, while to cross at the Allenby Bridge (near Jericho) requires getting a visa in advance.

If you are coming soon, I can recommend a four-day tour going in late March from Israel with a terrific Israeli archaeologist/guide (who will hook up, I believe, with a Jordanian colleague), offered by Archaeological Seminars in Jerusalem. If you are interested, their e-mail address is: office@archesem.com.

suzanne
suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel
http://issuu.com/suztours/docs/spguidecv

Rebec

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 11th, 2005
I will be visiting Israel for the first time next month,Jerusalem is my destination. The one thing I will say to everyone is this, the Guide Suzanne with Suztours has been the MOST helpful person I have ever dealt with, she has not left out one even tiny detail concerning my visit,she has contacted B&B,that will be close to the Family I will be meeting,given advice on what to bring,you name it she has thought of it.
I feel much more at ease with the information she has given me,the media in the US will simply scare you out of visiting that country!!

La Pirata

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 13th, 2005
Life is never safe. Travel is never safe. There are always dangers. But I have NEVER had a problem in regards to safety in the Middle East. Everything bad that's ever happened to me always seems to happen in Spain. Go figure. I definitely don't feel like Jordan posses a threat to Americans. But if you are going south, language could be an issue. Do you speak Arabe? Also, you're getting close to Saudi Arabia, and that is one place that could be threatening to Americans. You can also cross into Jordan through "Palestine"--not really Palestine since it's a strip of land controlled by Israelis on the border.
You know quite well, deep within you, that there is only a single magic, a single power, a single salvation...and that is called loving. Well, then, love your suffering. Do not resist it, do not flee from it. It is your aversion that hurts, nothing else. --H.H.

amyadrift

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 13th, 2005
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I do realize that ANY travel can be unsafe, but obviously there is a bit of extra tension at the moment -- particularly now that the US government is beginning to hassle Iran as well.
We are going in late June, so thanks for mentioning the tour Suzanne, but it doesn't fit in with our timing. If you have any advice about how to find local guides for hire, I'd love to hear it. Since we have just decided on including this region as part of our plan I haven't had the chance to do a lot of research yet -- the books are on their way though...

I've heard wonderful things about Jordan and am less concerned about it than I am Syria . Perhaps a crossing to Jordan via Israel instead of Syria is advisable. I don't have a map or book regarding the region at present so I'm not sure what's possible.
Plenty of research I still need to do!

SuzTours

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2005
Hi amyadrift - getting to Jordan is really not hard - you can fly from many places directly to Amman (there are lots of airline choices including, of course, Royal Jordanian) or you can go overland via Syria (just remember, those two have always had strong "disagreements"...) or you can go via Israel.

I made that suggestion because I live in Israel and happen to think it's really beautiful, friendly and open and everyone is welcome and should come here at least once! AND crossing to Jordan from Israel (and back again) is not that difficult, as long as you're not doing anything illegal or dangerous!

DO read travel books (guides, personal experiences and fiction) to give you a better "feel" and to gain specific and important information, of course. But people are people - and both the Jordanians I've met (along with the Israelis I know) are very friendly and helpful. People in Jordan do speak English, so even if you don't know the local dialect of Arabic, you'll have no problem getting around. It's good to learn a few words - yes, no, thank you, you are welcome, etc. - which will help make you and everyone you meet more comfortable.

As far as Jordanian guides go, I don't know any personally, but I'll ask my friend who is leading the tour I mentioned as he is connected with a group of Israeli and Jordanian guides who have been involved for some time with "cross-border" tourism projects (one day, I hope to be part of that group). I'll post some names or at least some companies and, hopefully, contact information here.

The main thing is to be watchful (yes) but not fearful and to go with an open mind and spirit and just ENJOY everything you see and everyone you meet.

And one more thing - report back! We will all want to hear about your adventure!

suzanne
suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel
http://issuu.com/suztours/docs/spguidecv

amyadrift

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 14th, 2005
Thanks again Suzanne -- I have actually always wanted to go to Israel. It's my travel partner who was/probably still is nervous about Israel.

We'll see . . .

Return to Middle East Travel