Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

Another RTW itinerary! Advice needed!

The Tartan Quiff

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 18th, 2012
Hi All, I've been a member here for a while but never posted... So be gentle!

My wife and myself are planning a RTW trip starting Sept 2012. We have a 6 month timescale in mind or whenever the cash runs out, whatever comes first!

Our route... (Subject to change as we haven't booked anything yet)

Train from London to Paris to Berlin to St Petersburg (Stopping in Germany for a week or so)
Then a Trans Siberian train tour (Trans Mongolian) through Russia, Mongolia then Beijing (16days)
From Beijing we are looking at 5/6 day train tour to either Hong Kong or Vietnam (Hanoi) (with stops in China)

This is where I am not sure where to go/how to get there. We eventually want to end up in Oz then New Zealand (at least a month in NZ - We have friends there).

Any suggestions on where to go from HK/Hanoi to spend some time in SE Asia prior to OZ?
Looking for some beach/relax and some adventure if possible. Possibly a GAP adventures tour but only just started looking into that...

Is it easy to book short haul flights on the road between SE Asian countries? How about getting Visas on the move. (I'll have Russia/China/Mongolia sorted prior to travelling)???

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has done a similar trip, any advice, experiences not to be missed??

Cheers
TQ

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Plan 4-7 days in St Petersburg depending on your interest in history.

Also plan a couple stops along the Trans Mongolian route, one around Lake Baikal.

Personally I wasn't impressed with Vietnam so would recommend flying out of Hong Kong to Bangkok, Air Asia has cheap flights everywhere in Asia & are easy to book online.

Once in Bangkok go to the Embassy of Myanmar early in the morning & you can get a visa to the most interesting country in SE Asia the same day. All other countries (except Vietnam which is easy to get on the road) are available on arrival.

After returning from Myanmar, again depending on interests, travel north into Laos, down through Cambodia, back to Thailand where there are lots of places for beach time, then make your way by train/bus to Singapore, fly to Perth from there or Borneo makes a nice, if a bit more expensive side trip, before Singapore.

For what it's worth I wish I had traveled up the west coast from Perth to Broome & not bothered with the expensive Gold Coast. A few days in Tasmania would be cool also.

6 months will fly by 8-)
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Bob R

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Personally, I enjoyed Vietnam quite a bit, Hanoi and some points north. The highlands are quite nice - Sapa is worth a visit despite the growing crowds.

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2012
Thailand is a good place to visit, plenty of beaches for relaxing interesting sites to visit.

I'd recommend the Halong Bay cruise in Vietnam, we did I think 4 nights had a brilliant time met some lovely people. HCMC is a nightmare with six million bikes, I preferred Hanoi as a city to walk around. You can have anything made in Vietnam from clothes to shoes.
Don't forget to shop around for any trips.

We traveled to OZ, did the east coast Cape Tribulation to the Great Ocean road by camper van, a very enjoyable 3 months, the highlight was snorkeling off the Great Barrier Reef, it was the most amazing experience of our trip for me. Sailed on a boat called the Ragamuffin 2 from Port Douglas.
Visas, applications while you are traveling, yes not a problem but just think ahead and have the information where you can purchase one for each of the countries before you leave.
My recollection is that the China Visa is for 30 days from date of issue, you need to check this for all Visas as this is a slip up problem if you don't watch out.
Preparation is the key to round the world travel I think you then don't have any major worries and can totally enjoy the travel.
Finance, make sure you take more than two credit cards, we have just returned from 3 months island hopping in the Caribbean and both our cards (separate accounts) were declined for withdrawals on the same day.
Thank god we had two more debit cards with us as back ups and I just moved funds on the Internet to cover our needs.
This time I took a netbook with me so could do this but when we were on the round the world for 12 months I used Internet cafes but for banking good hotels, you need to be very sure when doing your banking the connection is secure as there are many scams around and most visitors are seem as walking cash machine. Don't flaunt your wealth.

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel