If you're interested in living abroad for any reason or any length of time - from becoming an expat to volunteering or teaching English for a few months - this is the forum to discuss it. Learn about TEFL, Peace Corps, international volunteer organizations and corporate opportunities. Discuss visas, logistics of moving overseas and how to work 'under the table'.

Another TEFL Question...

krisk

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 24th, 2008
After another mind numbing week at work, I started thinking about adventure overseas. I recently completed my MBA, which did get me a raise at work but it's just not working for me. So....I was just researching TEFL certifications and found a company locally - http://www.oxfordseminars.com/ - that has weekend sessions at a local university. It's under a $1000 as well. Has anyone ever heard of them?

Also, if you have taught overseas, where did you teach and how would you rate your experience and why?

Thanks for any comments. Smile
Kristen
http://blogs.BootsnAll.com/kris/

TedKarma

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2008
I joined the Peace Corps shortly after getting my MBA in 1989 and have lived and worked overseas ever since then - almost all of it Teaching English. I worked in Botswana, Korea, Taiwan, Saudi Arabia and Thailand during that time.

Ideally, if you are thinking about working overseas teaching English, it is best to get your TEFL certification (which can be had for about the same price) in or near the country where you would like to work. This will give you a chance to get acclimatized to the culture, make some contacts, and even look for work during the course. But, you WILL be VERY busy during the course so don't plan on doing too much else - it is a good way to get to know your way around your new country/culture.

I would rate my experience a 12 out of 10 - life changing - and well worth every moment of it.
Learn about Teaching English Abroad. Check out TEFL Newbie

Jenfyre

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2008
Hi Kristen,

I took a TEFL course with TEFL Worldwide Prague (www.teflworldwideprague.com). Overall it was a valuable experiene and I think that beacuse it was a continuous 4-week course it really made it easy to grasp all of the concepts and methods of teaching. I had no experience with teaching prior to the course, yet by the end I felt confident to instruct any class size of any skill and ability level.

I am now teaching with one of the largest English teaching schools in Prague and have been working there for over a year now. It all depends on where you want to teach though. However, Prague is a beautiful and magical locale and a great "jumping off" point to teach in other places in Europe which require a year of experience or more.

Hope this helps!

taylor_bacon

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 16th, 2008
My friends took the course from Oxford Seminars and spent the last year teaching in China. I went to visit them and it was great. They recommend the course, and I'm signed up for it this Sept...so it should be pretty good.

John38

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 2nd, 2008
I agree with Tedkarma. Do the cert. in the country you are looking to teach. It is a great way to get your bearings, make the connections, etc. You will be so much better prepared for living in that particular country than if you have just gotten off the plane the day before teaching.

Tyler79

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 7th, 2008
I took Oxford Seminars and it was fine. The teacher will rightly tell you that you'll learn more about teaching English in the first month of working than any course could ever teach. Though, it is very helpful for actually getting your job!

My experience has been great! I'm back on my second year in China.

Return to Living Abroad