Discuss the importance of vaccines, side affects of medications, water-safety worries and health insurance questions. Research malaria meds, cost of medical treatment overseas and other issues related to health on the road.

Anxiety/Depression and travel

aussiegirl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: anxiety, depression, england, scotland
  • Added on: November 21st, 2010
I'd love to take the travelling plunge next year, but I have depression and anxiety (diagnosed). Anyone here travelled while still suffering from this? I probably can't travel *with* people, since I want to visit my boyfriend (who'll be studying in Nottingham) my friend (in Exeter) and my aunt and uncle (in Scotland), and it'd be weird to bring a friend with me for those. Though I'll be visiting with them during the evenings, I'll also need to entertain myself during the day, since they'll have work/uni.

Are there ways to make day trip friends before I leave? (I don't mean tour groups, but day tours would be fine). So, people who would be willing to travel together to go to see some sort of tourist attractions? Can I figure out bus time tables and things like that before I leave? How much should I be prepared to budget for since I'm hoping to go for let's say a month. Any travel tips for people with anxiety/depression? Do you think I can do it? I'm hoping to be improved by the time I go, but right now I still get very stressed/upset about little things. However I really really want to do this, both for my own self development and travel interests (I love travel but I've only done it with family) and because I really really want to see these people.

I posted ages back with all my worries about stuff, and most of those have gone now, at least I've stopped just looking at them as impossibilities, now I'm trying to find ways to actually achieve what I'd like to do.
http://www.notebookinhand.com - for writers, artists, musicians and actors.

yanks26dmb

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 23rd, 2010
Hey aussiegirl....While I don't have depression, I do suffer from anxiety fairly regularly..I was also diagnosed a while back. It's not debilitating, but definitely something I experience when I begin feeling overwhelmed by my circumstances. Personally, the thought of traveling for an extended time and being able to forget about the real world and my worries back home is liberating. Maybe if you look at it from that point of view, you will see that travel can be therapuetic to yoru depression/anxiety.

Also, you could always have friends meet up with you later on in your travels. This may even work better b/c it may be hard to find someone who can take off for as long as you would like. Schedule to meet up with them after you meet with your b/f, etc.

lilycheese

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 30th, 2010
travel can help u get rid of it,but you should have a positive mind in yourself.
dont worry so much,be happy

pyoung

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 1st, 2010
I generally stay in backpackers hostels during my traveling. These hostels have a number of independent travelers and you can easily find a good company for you. In fact it is the best way to explore and enjoy the places when you are on a solo travel. This way you can make new friends and stay in contact with them for future traveling. Traveling has always been an exciting experience for me.

SoloTraveller

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 28th, 2011
I have suffered from anxiety too, had a major panic attack once while is Thailand, ended up in hospital, I'd advise travelling with someone if you think its really going to be a problem, my issues were made worse by being alone a lot of the time, a mistake I don't make these days!

Jeanie99

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 25th, 2011
I don't suffer from depression, I get low sometimes and feel I am in a black hole and find being active and making myself do things makes a big difference.
Would it help if you got the trip organized by that I mean have all the accommodation and flights booked in advance so that you will not have to start trying to find somewhere to stay after a long flight.
Perhaps book a day trips with a group.
Take books with you and keep a diary of the trip.
Book your accommodation in hostels they are a good way of meeting like minded people.
Best of luck and keep safe
Jean

Return to Health and Travel