Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Anyone been to Memphis?

Hanz

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 27th, 2011
Hey, has anyone been to Memphis? How accessible is it to non-drivers? Any recommendations for places to stay/things to see/ good tour operators that go there?

Thanks

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 27th, 2011
I was a little girl when I went there with my family, but I remember taking a trolley lots of places when in the downtown area.

Graceland is out of the way, and in the not so nicest area, but I'd image there are ways to get there from the CBD.
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

Bideshi

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2011
Well, Memphis has a concentration of things to do within walking distance downtown. You can go to the Mud Island Park http://www.mudisland.com/ or walk along Beale Street http://www.bealestreetonline.com/ or take a paddleboat cruise on the Mississippi River http://www.memphisriverboats.net/cruises.html. Graceland does look like it's probably a bit more than walking distance, but I'd imagine the tourist information could get you on a bus or something without too much trouble. Hope that helps!

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 26th, 2011
Yes we had a few days there as part of our 3 months in the US. We travelled by bus from St Louis to Memphis, the coach travel was no problem but we had to put up with a gang of youths who were racists, wouldn't allow us to sit next to them so we ended up sitting next to the toilet which stunk.
Memphis is a small town and you can easily walk around, everyone goes to Beale Street. It as lots of cafe/beer/music places and interesting to have a look around. Had a day visiting Graceland which is well worth the visit but expensive, we stayed in a motel within walking distance which was al right it had a pool so we could cool off of an evening. I guess it depends on your tastes but the food is really not to my liking, everything is deep fat fried YUK.

Return to USA & Canada Travel