A forum for members who haven't stopped moving just because they've produced another human being. Share ideas and information, the best and worst places to bring the kids, family travel tips and parenting stories.

Anyone else done a RTW with two little kids

nerokerr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 20th, 2006
$30/day for petrol might be a little low, depending on how far you plan to drive each day. If you average $2.50/gallon, that's 12 gallons a day, in a vehicle that probably gets 10-15 mpg at best, gives you 120-180 miles a day, or 2-3 hours. Well, if you're gonna be here 6 weeks, maybe that is enough... you know your plan better than I... just throwing it out there.

Allen Ambrosino

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2006
You do know the kids are not going to get much out of the experience. I always wonder about adults with small children who want to satisfy their travelling jones without taking into consideration the comfort of the children. Just do a favor and don't put them in danger like the Canadian woman I met while trekking in Nepal who had her 6 month old baby on her back at 5,000-meters because she always dreamed of seeing the Himalayas ...

Small children should be in their neighborhood playing with their friends instead of being taken to museums, enduring long flights and car rides, and essentially being treated as an extra set of luggage when their parents have a travel agenda to satisfy ...

Sorry if this comes across as harsh and I am sure you will disagree, but I can't stand it when adults who have had children put their needs before the needs of their children ...

AaA
www.backpackernation.com

check out the pics from 67 countries and please give me some of your widsom on my blog:)

kidsnall

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2006
Respectfully, how can you say that kids won't get anything from a trip where they get to spend 24/7 with their parents and get to see how people live all over the world? Those of us who have been lucky enough to have been born in the West seem to have a sense of entitlement to our priviliged lifestyle. I want my kids to get a sense of the great big world out there and, hopefully, gain an appreciation for our pampered lives in Canada. At 6 & 7, my kids are definitely old enough to remember and appreciate the experience and young enough to want to spend that much time with Mom & Dad. They'll have plenty of time for bikeriding and neighbourhood games when we get back. Think of the friends they'll make on the road and the unforgettable experiences we'll share as a family.

I appreciate the wise advice given earlier on the forum about balancing the kids' wants and needs with the parents' and making sure they play a role in decision-making. We're certainly planning on leaving the Louvre for another adults-only trip.

Our entire reason for this trip was to reconnect as a family - how can that be putting the adults' needs ahead of the kids?
Carpe diem!

Check out our blog: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kidsnall

Allen Ambrosino

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2006
I understand what you are saying, but here are a few other considerations. Taking an entire year off from school at a very important developmental age is not such a good thing, especially if it either leaves them missing out on some basic, yet vital, education or coming back and being behind everyone in their class. Being with your parents 24-7 when you are in the 1st or 2nd grade is likewise not a positive. They should have a healthy balance of time with you and time with their peers.

A one year trip can be exhausting for adults who choose to embark on such journies. How much more so for children? If you believe, at age six, they need to receive a life lesson about how the other half lives, I obviously cannot dissuade you. Just another one of those 'agree to disagree' scenarios. I wish you all the best of luck. Stay happy and safeSmile

AaA
www.backpackernation.com

check out the pics from 67 countries and please give me some of your widsom on my blog:)

rmeg

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2006
Myself and my Dh and 3 kids are departing for RTW at the end of October. The kids will be aged 10, 5 and 4 when we travel. Please keep me posted about your experience!

I found the Fleming family website invaluable. It goes into incredible detail about what to pack, the children's education on the road, what their kids ate, etc. It really is very useful.

I fully agree with you about getting to spend quality time with your children. Our daily lives are so full and rushed, it will be great to have 24/7 time. Of course you have to put the children's needs first - it would be stupid to suggest otherwise. In my experience, if you find a great playground in a particular location or an interesting cafe that the children like, sometimes you might spend an entire day there and have just as memorable time. I'm not terribly interested in the museum thing myself. I'd rather be where the locals are.

One question to Allen Ambrosino - do you have children?

Allen Ambrosino

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

One answer -- I have a Master's in Elementary Education and taught both kindergarten and 2nd grade for several years ... I am trained in the developmental stages of children unlike most parents ... so while that does not make me an expert, it also does not qualify a "if you don't have kids,you can't talk about ..." stuff either ...

SmileSmile

AaA
www.backpackernation.com

Allen Ambrosino

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

You see, the part that gets me as well is that a parent can think they take care of the educational needs of three children, all in different grades, while on the road ... in real school, you need three different teachers to do this and they need six-to-seven hours a day, five days a week dedicated to the task ...

I would not go into a doctor's office and presume I knew how to take care of a person's injury (because I had gone to the doctor as a patient in the past),but it does seem (in my experience as a teacher) that most parents think they can teach (even though most have no training past the point that they used to be students)...

Gotcha. I disagree, but I understand completely. It is a common affliction of parents I have experienced many times before when they would tell me how to do my job properly!!!

AaA
www.backpackernation.com

rmeg

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

My dear AA, I already knew that you didn't have kids because I have visited your website (and noted how you drank your way around Ireland...Wink) I was just trying to get a rise out of you.

I'm sure you are a great teacher and I take your point about how world travel may not mean as much to small children. I do wonder sometimes if I need my head examined, bringing my lively (i.e.wild) children on such a trip.

However, for me and my children, this is a once-off opportunity that we won't have at any other time and we are taking our chances. The teachers in my children's school are very excited about it all and have been very supportive so far. My 10 year old is looking forward to keeping her own on-the-road blog and she will have her own digital camera while travelling. All of us have looked at websites, watched videos and looked at books together. Plus they will only be away from class for about 2 months, once Halloween and Christmas breaks are factored into the time. Plus, you shouldn't presume that we - the parents - don't have our own educational qualifications.

As a parent, I fully empathise with the other posters above about spending quality time with their children and what better quality time could you have than travelling the world together. If you read the Fleming family website, you may understand what this means. I have never come across a child who would rather spend more time with their classmates than their parents.

Allen Ambrosino

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I hear you ... it is a cool experience once you get down to it and I wish you guys the best in every respect ... I think perhaps it was the lack of respect the teaching profession receives here in the states that has sent me to law school, which I will be graduating next month ... anyway, a bit of a sore subject, but not sore enough to get in the way of my love and respect for travel ...

More power to y'allSmileSmile The children will definitely have a lot of stories to tell, not only when they return, but forevermore ...

AaA
www.backpackernation.com

jv

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

quote:
… instead of … essentially being treated as an extra set of luggage when their parents have a travel agenda to satisfy …

LOL, I can tell by this quote alone that you don’t have kids.

The OP asked for “advice from anybody who has traveled for such an extended time with little kids.” This apparently doesn’t include you. Any particular reason you feel compelled to chime in with judgmental, negative, and disparaging remarks about a lifestyle decision that doesn’t concern you?

If you’re implying that kids who miss school to travel lose out on opportunities to become sociable and learn to relate to others, then I presume your parents dragged you on quite a few trips when you were young.

To the OP and others who are traveling with kids – good for you! I don’t have specific advice, as my own experience is limited (my son is still young, and our limited experiences are a bit different from what everyone else where will be doing). But so far, so good. It’s a different kind of traveling, of course. No “drinking your way across Ireland,” to be sure. But it’s fun in its own way. The big test will come this summer – six weeks in Europe.

Allen Ambrosino

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
Any particular reason you feel compelled to chime in with judgmental, negative, and disparaging remarks about a lifestyle decision that doesn’t concern you?

Funny. If I agreed or said 'good for you' then my comments would probably be welcome even though I have not, and would not, travel with very small children on an around-the-world trip taking them out of school and away from all of their friends for an extended period of time ...

Sorry. I did not know this was a cheerleading session. Carry on.

AaA
www.backpackernation.com

go girl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Sorry, just gotta jump in here. Allen, I understand your concerns and it does seem as if teachers get no respect these days. I oughta know-I'm subbing right now.

That said, I'm here to reassure all of you that homeschooling can work, and that is what you will be doing on an extended trip with school age kids.

We homeschooled our girls for years, both at home and on the road. I've got to say, it is more difficult to keep up the program when you are traveling, but it can be done. We always got out the school books right after breakfast, and did at least a math worksheet and a spelling worksheet. Allen I can hear you choking, but I swear, even with sometimes months of minimal worksheets, the girls went right into the gifted program at school this year.

The secret is what I call the "learning lifestyle". That is, you read a lot yourself, you read a lot with the kids, they read alot on their own, you have lots of discussions about anything and everything, if something interests someone, they are encouraged to pursue it, library and bookstore trips, museum trips, rtw trips, etc. Every family has their own interests, so would approach it uniquely, but really, unless you park your kids in front of the TV and video games, they are going to learn. I guess we were a combo of worksheets and unschool, but I repeat--they were not behind the least little bit, after 5 years of homeschooling. And they are very healthy emotionally too.
One more point--I am not a very self-disciplined person.

Allen this will probably mean something to you--my 11 yo has almost 1000 AR points--from this school year alone! The whole school is excited.
"Those who dance are considered insane
by those who can't hear the music."
George Carlin

Not the first Travis

Future Expat

Share on Orkut

This is a fascinating discussion....and I don't have kids!

Allen Ambrosino

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I understand what you are saying. There are many people who have success stories using all sorts of different techniques and I'll be the last to say something cannot work. It is just funny out of all the professions that, for example, a parent with no educational training (other than having once been a student) can teach three children, all in different class levels, while traveling the world while it takes a teacher having to go to school for several years and 5-7 hours a day in the classroom environment -- and that is just with one age group, not three at the same time ... every other profession that takes formal training, it would be considered a form of malpractice for one that was not formally trained to undertake the job (i.e. lawyer, doctor, accountant, etc...) ... an example is one who represents himself in court (...fool for a client... applies here)

I know teaching K-6th in one class worked in the days of Little House with Laura Ingalls (dating myself here, but I don't think it is the most effective way in today's day and age ...

Now, if you want to speak on the fact many school districts are poorly run, that is another story. But in that case, I think you move instead of leaving the teaching to parents who are not trained ... they will have their hands full teaching their children the important things about life without being their Alpha and Omega -- home school and recess and everything else ... kids need a balance that cannot be found by home schooling or being isolated from their peers while being shuttled around from country to country ...

Again, just one man's opinion ... SmileSmile

AaA
www.backpackernation.com

geok

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Dejags:
Anybody care to comment on our budget?

The USA: US$250 per day
Fiji: US$100 per day
New Zealand US$150 per day
Australia US$175 per day
China US$100 per day
SE Asia US$80 per day

This is for the four of us. I'll add extra on for internal flights. For the most part I think the baby will be included i.e. he can share a bed or seat. So I am banking on paying for triple rooms etc.

What do you reckon?

From my experience,in Malaysia, Cambodia and Thailand you are going to have money left over.

175 dolllars US a day in Australia? We are going away for a fortnight soon next school holdidays (family of five) and I am allowing all of this. But there is no reason that it shouldn't be enough if you have your mind on the job.
---------------------------------

So far so good.

PreviousNext

Return to Traveling With Children