Discuss long-term and Round the World Travel. Share experiences, tips and encourage others to take the plunge. Help others plan their itineraries and budgets for upcoming epic adventures.

How many travel visas did you require on your RTW?

No votes
33%
2+
67%

Total votes : 3

Anyone requiring multiple prior visas on RTW?

Globe Trekker

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

Tags: visa, india, itinerary
  • Added on: December 3rd, 2008
Hello,
Thought I might combine a couple of related questions in the poll/discussion.

I'll be requiring multiple tourist visas for a planned RTW (including some that require copy of flight itinerary).
1. Wanted to check how one went about doing this when you didn't have the visa for the next country (since you have to start somewhere, right?)

Confused?
Consider scenario...
USA (start)
Country 1 (require visa and flight itinerary)
Country 2 (require visa and flight itinerary)
Country 3 (require visa and flight itinerary)
Country 4 (require visa and flight itinerary)
either USA or India (end)

2. Also, how do you book flights in this case?

Anyone done something similar?
Thought I might check here first.
Thanks,
S

Jeanie99

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 3rd, 2008
If you are travelling for months on end it's not possible to get your Visas before you go so you have to apply on route. Have a list of the countries you travelling to and find out on line what that countries requirements are. Can the Visa be got on entry, do you have to apply before entry, is the Visa from date of issue or can you state a date on application,how many days can you get, can the time be extended, where can you get the Visa from. For example if you are travelling to China and you will be in Vietnam before you enter China apply there just before entry into China. Just make notes and when you have all the information you need on all the countries e-mail yourself to keep for future reference. We did this on our round the world trip. You sometimes have to hang around a few days especially when the countries on holiday.You can purchase through travel agents also this takes out all the hassle of waiting in line at the embassies and you are only charged a nominal amount.
Jean

PhotoChick

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 11th, 2008
What are the countries? I needed so many visas I needed to get extra pages in my passport, just like many people on here I am sure...

Do you need to book all the flights ahead of time? Getting them along the way is SO much cheaper.

PC
Latest Adventure: Una Moto en Argentina
Check out my RTW blog

minerguy

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 11th, 2008
It looks like you have already started your homework on getting the visas you need, but I wanted to mention this site Project Visa to in case you weren't aware of it. If so, maybe it will help someone else.
Traveling by motorcycle to Alaska and beyond at BikeandBoots.com
Come along for the ride!

Emeraldeyes

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 12th, 2008
If you are going for a long trip, I wouldn't get all my visas prior to leaving. Get the first one, and any that require you to apply in your home country. Otherwise, get your visa for the next country on your route, or at least when you are in a major capital that has an embassy for that country. ie: I got my visa for China while in Bangkok, flew to China. While in China, got my visa for Vietnam. Then ended up in Bangkok again to get my visa for India.
Just make sure you allow yourself enough time to get the visa, some can take up to a week, like India.
I think it would be really hard to get all the visas ahead of time if your schedule isn't set in stone, which most RTWs are not.
I also had to get more pages put in my passport, which I did easily while on the road.

My RTW blog is "Melting"

Jeanie99

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 13th, 2008
In England you can apply for a passport with 48 pages, not sure what other countries have. I also understand that you will be able to add pages as you travel from your embassy.
Jean

Globe Trekker

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 13th, 2008
Thanks everyone for your response. (Thanks minerguy, been a regular visitor of ProjectVisa for more than an year now... actually learned about it from soom other bootie post...)

Back to the post and the replies...
My main concern was with regards to some of the common requirements at consulates.
Would really appreciate if those of you that did something like this, can look over the following 2 questions, and let me know if you see any potential problems
(Taking example by Jeanie99 about Vietnam to China)

(assume) currently in Vietnam, need to apply for Chinese visa

1. Would there be a problem for me (an Indian passport holder) to apply for a Chinese visa at an Embassy in Vietnam? since I am not a resident of Vietnam and only here on a Tourist visa to begin with? (would the embassy be curious about what's going on)...
unless the embassy folks (not chinese in particular but in general) don't care?... or is that how it usually works?

2. I also notice that some countries need, proof of itinerary and reservation (which can be managed) but also require proof of onward travel to a country where I am permitted entry.
So, for example, instead of China, my itinerary looks like Vietnam (currently visiting) - New Zealand - China.
NZ being one of the countries I need itinerary and proof of onward travel.

Any ideas on how to manage this scenario? Or if folks have done it before?

Would really appreciate if someone could throw a bone..
Thanks a lot in advance,
cheers,
Shri

Return to Around the World and Vagabonding Travel