Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Are there any budget islands left in Thailand?

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 20th, 2011
Ok, I am 42years old and I spend a good chunk of my late 20's and early 30's, in and out of Thailand. In those days, Koh Phangnan, Koh Tao, even Koh Samui, you could live in a hut right on the beach for 200-300 baht a night. And I mean a nice beach!

Flashforward to today and I am keen to go back to Thailand for a month. But WTF! Old the old traveller beaches now have big flash resorts on them, even Koh Tao!

So, are backpackers/travellers still heading to Thailand and if so could you give me a heads up where?

Many thanks!

Don't forget your history
Know your destiny
In the abundance of water
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

klinck

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 21st, 2011
I was in thailand in 2007 and stayed in the south part of Lonely Beach for 250-300 bath for a bungalow next to the water - but it wasn't on a sandy beach.

On Phi phi I stayed in a bungalow in second row or so, for 600 bath..

K2

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 22nd, 2011
Take a look in a Lonely Planet to have a better idea of what prices are like these days.

crazyal

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2011
Often overlooked or ignored is Koh Larn just off Pattaya Beach. If you are looking for a bargain island this has to be it! It is a place to go to when you are too old for all the hoops you have to jump through just to get to Koh Phangan. In Pattaya ordinary baht bus transportation is only 10 baht compared to an "arm and leg" in Phuket!
http://kohlarn.com/index.htm

From Ekamai bus terminal, Bangkok, take a cheap bus to Pattaya, maybe 115 baht for the 2 hour ride. From the Pattaya bus terminal pay 20 baht to get to Walking Street. Walk to Bali Hai pier for the 30 baht ferry ride to Koh Larn. No roving dope sellers, no mushroom shakes, no crowds of drunk teenagers contemplating the full moon! Just being able to get there cheap saves you money! Kinda like outgrowing Khao San Road and choosing a hotel on Sukhumvit or the Siam area in Bangkok so you can also use the Skytrain and connect with the rail link and subway!

If you don't like it, or the cheaper hotels in Pattaya compared to Phuket, it is only a couple hours ride back to Bangkok!
Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2011
Thanks for your replies.....Still feel my question has not been answered though.

Know your destiny
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

clare87

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 8th, 2011
Has everything in Thailand got a lot more expensive or is it just accommodation?

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 8th, 2011
Probably everything getting more expensive... due to falling dollar.

I'm sure this is especially true with regard to beachcomber's original trip he's referencing, 20 years ago... heh

Beachcombers

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 15th, 2011
Well last time was in 2004 and yes I understand the pace of "progress" marches on.

I understand that Koh Samui and KPN is now overrun with concrete resorts.

I was simply asking, if there are any "budget" islands left?

Know your destiny
The fool is thirsty

"Rat race" - Bob Marley

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 15th, 2011
There were a ton of deals to be had on railay when I went during low season. I walked around the loop from the beach back down to the beach and after shopping at different places, one lady rented me a room for no more than 150baht or so. Then after chilling at the small world bar for awhile, the bartenders and other backpackers were more than happy to pass along some free drinks.

I suppose if you time your trip during the low season, you can find deals on several islands.

geok

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 16th, 2011
Recently returned from Koh Lipe. Family of five were eating for 1000 baht a meal. And eating well, Chang, etc. We stayed in air condition comfort for about 3000 baht a night.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, worth considering got the full range of accommodation but probably just past its best. A bit of litter although not to bad and it looks like getting over developed for its size eventually.
---------------------------------

So far so good.

WomanSeeksWorld

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 8th, 2011
Koh Chang is still very cheap and its absolutely stunning - you could easily live off $30 a day staying in a beach guesthouse and eating out every day.
Im an Aussie living in London and have written a guide to help others doing the same.
Follow my adventures on the path to becoming a fully-fledged nomad.

itinerantlondoner

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 12th, 2011
Try the Philippines...much cheaper, much less developed, just as beautiful, and with 7,000 islands it'll take quite a while before they get as built up as the Thai ones. Definitely the most underrated country in South East Asia
Currently on a twelve month RTW trip. Read about my experiences at http://itinerantlondoner.wordpress.com

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2011
itinerantlondoner wrote:Try the Philippines...much cheaper, much less developed, just as beautiful, and with 7,000 islands it'll take quite a while before they get as built up as the Thai ones. Definitely the most underrated country in South East Asia

Too bad it's such a pain to try to get around them by boat & have to fly everywhere. :(
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

djmc

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 13th, 2011
It's kinda the same amount of hassle as getting down to islands in thailand isnt it? In thailand you gotta take a train + boat, or possibly fly + boat (to nearby islands around samui/phuket). And even the philippine islands you can fly to directly seemed to be a lot less developed and touristy compared to Samui/Phuket.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are many islands close to manila similar to koh samet and bangkok. I went to Anilao for diving and it was incredible. Only a relatively short bus ride away from manila (distance is short, traffic makes it far hehe).

Plus, I'm pretty sure cebu pacific is often a lot cheaper for domestic flights than air asia. They have some incredible sales.

yongmorgan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2011
Koh Tao island is somewhat cheaper. Here one can find apartments at rent for around 1500 - 2000 bht per night.

Next

Return to Asia Travel