Ask SouthAfricaLogue.com and other SA fans about all the hidden secrets of Cape Town, Jo'burg, shark diving, safaris and many more highlights of South Africa.

Are trains suspended?

Christine and Mike

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: September 24th, 2010
My husband and I are traveling to South Africa tomorrow and were hoping to take a train from Jo'burg to Cape Town sometime this next week. The man in seat 61 says that the long distance trains have been temporarily suspended until further notice (I think that was in August). Does anyone who is in the country have any other info? I tried to get their website to work but things won't load for me (the fare quote, the reservations page). Any help would be greatly appreciated!
http://www.checkingoffeverywhere.com

dopeyzn

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 25th, 2010
I checked seat61 and there is an update as of 10 Sept 2010

"Premier Classe trains are reported as now running as scheduled on the Jo'burg-Durban and Jo'burg-Cape Town routes, and the Jo'burg-Durban Shosholoza Meyl train is also reported as running (it's not clear if this means the tourist class or economy class train). However, no other Shosholoza Meyl tourist or economy trains are running. Prasa & Transet are in talks to end the impasse and find a solution."

All i can suggest is that you give them a call when you get to SA... if the trains aren't working alternative transport (bus, flights, rental car) can be easily organised.

xelA

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 26th, 2010
speaking to a couple south africans i met in London, they said that it is indeed suspended, they didnt specify which one isnt running, but told me a flight would be the better option at this stage.

Christine and Mike

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 29th, 2010
Just as a reference for travelers in the future, YES, the Shosholoza trains from Joberg to Cape Town have been canceled. I was not able to get any info from their site because I was using an old (but still active) site. Here is their current site.

http://shosholoza-meyl.co.za/ make sure the dash is in there- otherwise it will take you to the old site!

I was shocked that out of all the people I asked here, none of them had heard anything about trains being cancelled. These included other travelers, the owner of our hostel, a Flight Center employee, tourist information employee, and travel agent. It took a trip to the actual train station in Pretoria to figure it out, but there it is. :)
http://www.checkingoffeverywhere.com

Return to South Africa Travel