Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Asia Recommendations and Raves

teena22

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 14th, 2010
I think the best part of taking vacation now a days are the packages to which you can save money. I've seen this package to Bangkok a 3 days 2 nights with tours and inclusion of breakfast meals for a very low price. Just do a quick search on google and surely you'll find it. Seems great to have this kind of opportunity to grab.

Christopher01

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 17th, 2010
Oh man! There's so much more Singapore can offer! I shall help you with what you can do in Singapore. Though a SMALL ISLAND, if we care to explore, there is a lot OF TREASURES in this island nation!

NATURE

- Farms in Lim Chu Kang, small countryside of S'pore!
- Treetop walk in KentRidge Park (MUST SEE!)
- Bt Timah Reserve (Monkeys, snakes, BIG SPIDERS, birds!)
- World-renowned zoo (animals in natural, enclosed habitats) and birdpark (with a LARGE NET CAGE with birds flying ALL AROUND!)
- Pulau Ubin, an offshore island belonging to S'pore, for a cycling experience in a tropical environment, plus BOARD WALKS!

SHOPPING

- Bugis street with little shops
- Orchard Road, main shopping district
- Mustafa Centre, 24 HOUR SHOPPING MALL in Little India! CHEAP!
- Neighbourhood malls along ALMOST EVERY TRAIN STATION!
- You can also cross the causeway from Singapore to Johor Bahru, Malaysia to do some shopping in City Sq. The clothes are generally CHEAPER by a bit. Their currency is Ringgit and 1 Singapore Dollar is about 2.30 Ringgit.

FOOD

- Geylang, S'pore's red light district, another sleazy side of S'pore, PLUS lots of good local food! Don't stray into the dark alleys though!
- Food courts in shopping malls with food from many places!
- Bedok interchange food centre (non-air con)

NIGHT LIFE

- Clarke Quay, riverside, with lots of pubs, bars, clubs
- Boat Quay, more of seafood restaurants and small bars
- Zouk
- Butterfactory

PLACES OF INTEREST

- Zoo
-Sentosa Island (beaches)
-Birdpark
- Downtown east, wild wild wet (swimming pool with slides and wave pool)
- Merlion
- Esplanade (arts centre)
- St Andrews's Cathedral (Singapore's oldest church)
- Arab street (some good arabic feel)
- Little India
- AND MANY MORE!

Jennifer Laos

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 3rd, 2010
Laos - especially the north-east.

Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng are the obvious must-sees, but I simply loved Phonsovan and the Plain of Jars. Travelling further east by local bus to Sam Neaua, Vieng Xai and across the Na Maew/Nam Xoi border into Vietnam, was one of the best trips I've ever done! Just getting that little bit further off the popular tourist route is so rewarding; feels that little bit more authentic and challenging and the people are even more fantastic. Would definitely recommend!

sjfalex

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 12th, 2010
Singapore besides the usual tourist attractions, there are many festivals and events all year round!

Mid Autumn Festival http://bit.ly/dlOfTu
Watch Chinese performances and special demonstrations at Kreta Ayer Square.
For traditional goodies and unique finds, visit this bazaar in the heart of Chinatown.

tracytravel

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 13th, 2010
Festival season has begun in India.. Who are all love to enjoy the celebration can visit Mysore (Karnataka State, India) or West Bengal. Dasara has started..

travelclown

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2011
Great cheap accomodation in Yangshuo, China :D

"The Yangshuo Culture House"
http://www.2hostel.com/ Nice rooms, "Wei" the owner is great, and the food is absolutely amazing!! :eating:

Erika Ayala

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2011
If you are an American and you are visiting Asia, the first advice you need to know is 'Be Careful'. Asians see Caucasians or Americans as rich people. So make sure you protect and secure your things when you are traveling around. Put all your things in one bag - camera, phone, wallet, and other valuable items.

One problem you might encounter in Asia is the language barrier. Especially with Chinese, not everyone can understand English. It is important you know someone from the country you are visiting or you have a tourist guide with you.

For festivals, go to the Philippines! There are a lot of famous festivals like Sinulog in Cebu and Maskara Festival in Bacolod. You would surely enjoy these festivals and meet a lot of friendly people in the Philippines. :D
It's for the Kids!! Support Adopt A School

Erika Ayala

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 21st, 2011
PHILIPPINES

If given the chance to travel the world, one country you should try visiting is Philippines. According to some rumors, it is not safe to visit Philippines. However, those are just rumors. With its 7,107 islands, you can do a lot in the Philippines.

Talk about food, they have more than enough delicacies and dishes to satisfy your hunger. Almost in any province you visit, they have their own specialties. From breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, they have Filipino foods that will make your mouth water and your stomach full.

Talk about travel and culture, Philippines is definitely rich when it comes to that. Go to beautiful beaches like the island of Cebu, Boracay, Pagudpud, Palawan, Mindoro and a lot more. The weather is perfect especially during the months of March, April and May, in short, summer time.
If you're looking for more cultural learning, you can visit various museums within the city and in provinces. The famous Ayala museum is a must-see museum in Manila. Surely, you will learn a lot from how the Philippines rose from downfall and got their independence.

I think in any province you go, you will see special and awesome attractions. Like if you go to Navotas, the wealth of that city is seen through its fishery/fish farm. The city is known to be the fish capital of the country. Therefore, if you are looking for cheap raw fishes, it's the place you should visit.

When you visit various Philippine travel websites, you'll learn that the Philippines is an awesome country to visit with numerous things to do, from day to night. :D
It's for the Kids!! Support Adopt A School

jdee4ad

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2011
I highly recommend traveling to south-east Asia, especially the Philippines. It has many beautiful beaches, like the one in Boracay and in Caramoan, coupled with the Filipino's great culture and hospitality, you have a vacation you will remember forever. :)

PaulBennett

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 5th, 2011
My favourite place in Southeast Asia was Muang Ngoi in Laos. After too many buckets and late nights in Thailand, this place was perfect for lying back in a hammock and chilling out!

It is only accessible by boat from Nong Khiaw, which is about 3 hours north of Luang Prabang. Muang Ngoi is absolutely stunning and very isolated. As you make you way up the river, the scenery is spectacular - green hills and mountains descending straight into the river on either side. Then there is just a small mud bank where you get off to access the village. It is so peaceful, all you can hear is the sound of wildlife, the river running past and the occasional longtail engine spluttering past.

I paid $4 for a double stiltted hut overlooking the river, which cam with a mozzy net and cold water shower. The place has no electricity - only a generator which provides electricity for a few hours in the evenings. It is very back-to-basics but that is part of the appeal. I personally rate Muang Ngoi above somewhere like the 4000 islands as it is more remote and much less touristy.
Paul loves backpacking Southeast Asia and loves to share his stories and experiences with anyone willing to listen!

TJRich

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2011
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Chiang Mai is a great town to visit, especially if you are a backpacker. There are many hostels in the area that cater to the backpackers and with the cheap and excellent food that is all over town, its wonderful place for someone with a limited budget.

There are also almost unlimited this to do and see in the area. Some of my favorites are: The Mae Sae elephant camp, visiting the Buddhist temples (there are approx 300), the zoo, the cultural center, the national park, the night safari, the orchid and butterfly farm, the snake farm, the tiger kingdom, as well as numerous adventure activities like bungee jumping and rafting.

Chiang Mai is definitely worth a visit!
;)
Please visit my blog at http://www.travel-junky.net

caitlin21

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 18th, 2012
I know what you mean! Our travel agent at East-Site Travel encouraged us to detour from the tourist sightseeing of Uzbekistan and check out some of the other stans in Central Asia. We're thrilled we listened to her! The unspoiled nature was so refreshing and so different from the kind of nature trails we are used to. Just the entire experience of ancient roadways and local ambiance was very special. These are the kind of memories you never forget. And it makes you feel as if you have really seen the world, not just certain tourist attractions. If East-Site didn't suggest this to us we would have missed out on one of the most special parts of our trip.

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 23rd, 2012
While, I haven't been to Asia in about 4.5 years, I still have to say that the coast between Hoi An and DeNang is still one of the most incredible places I've been. At the time it was all untouched beach...you could rent a small motorbike in Hoi An for $4 per day, put some gas in and ride. I must have taken it at least 20-30 miles up the coast stopping along the way to check out some sites.

I know if I ever get back there I am sure I will be disappointed as I could see hotels and resorts starting to go up along the coast. In ten years, Vietnam will be what Thailand was 20 years ago and still is today, a tourist haven.

Check out the eastern coastline of Vietnam where the water is crystal clear, extremely warm and way cheaper than Thailand, if you can imagine!
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

starbaby

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 9th, 2012
If you're looking for an adventure and you enjoy eating, you should go to the provinces in the Philippines that has carnivals. I got scared when I rode the ferris wheel because there was no door, only a bar in front of you. It is hard to explain. Just see for your self. ;)

iampunk_reg

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2012
starbaby wrote:If you're looking for an adventure and you enjoy eating, you should go to the provinces in the Philippines that has carnivals. I got scared when I rode the ferris wheel because there was no door, only a bar in front of you. It is hard to explain. Just see for your self. ;)

Yes, I remembered my ferris wheel experience too. Good thing the operator was so patient and good to me since I really got scared. After that scary ride, the tourist guide brought us to Jollibee. i tried their spaghetti. It was so delicious. It is a must try food when you go to the Philippines!

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Travel