Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Asia Warnings

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 20th, 2012
I also found Taipei to be the secnod most boring asian city I have been too, most boring singapore, third boring kuala lumpur. Also, I found that even with what seemed like tens of "english learning schools," absolutely nobody spoke english, both young and especially old. When I visited in 2007, I happened to be with someone who was from Taiwan originally and spoke Chinese fluently, and we had no problem. She left the day before I left and I spent an entire day and night there myself, with very little help from anyone speaking english. I did manage to get around on their bus and amazing train system, but when it came to eating food (I dont eat shellfish or pork), it was virtually impossible to even order food. I resorted to the method commonly used in Japan (point and pray).

My word to the wise, if you visit Taiwan, expect to struggle, be patient and maybe learn a few words in chinese that may help.
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

AnnaMpls

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2012
Eppyboy wrote:My word to the wise, if you visit Taiwan, expect to struggle, be patient and maybe learn a few words in chinese that may help.

Really? I found that MANY people in Taiwan speak English. Or.. ehm... shall I say broken Engrish. ;)

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 29th, 2012
Maybe things have progressed recently...I don't know I had one helluva time there...
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

Bubbha

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2012
North Korea:

It goes without saying that you must not show any disrespect to the ruling Kim family. No criticism, no sarcastic asides, no refusal to bow when asked to do so.

Don't even think of trying to hit on a North Korean woman, even if drunk. Big no-no.

On Air Koryo flights, be aware that they have air cops walking the aisles observing the passengers. Photography is forbidden aboard the flights, and if they see you doing so, they'll demand to look at your camera and may go through the photos, deleting any photo they see fit. They're heavy-handed and frightening dudes.
--
"Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia." - Chinese proverb

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2012
Bubbha wrote:North Korea:

On Air Koryo flights, be aware that they have air cops walking the aisles observing the passengers. Photography is forbidden aboard the flights, and if they see you doing so, they'll demand to look at your camera and may go through the photos, deleting any photo they see fit. They're heavy-handed and frightening dudes.

Bet you don't have to walk shoeless through security or are subjected to nude body scans & pervert patdowns like in the land of the free.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Bubbha

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

busman7 wrote:Bet you don't have to walk shoeless through security or are subjected to nude body scans & pervert patdowns like in the land of the free.

True. They even let you bring water through the security check. And you can smoke in hotel lobbies, too.

FREEDOM!
--

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

How did you get to Visit North Korea? Was it on a guided tour?

Bubbha

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Eppyboy wrote:How did you get to Visit North Korea? Was it on a guided tour?

Yup. Courtesy of Koryo Tours, Beijing.
--

jacinthemilton

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 24th, 2012
In Singapore, be warned that when talking to other people you should take off your sunglasses and pay respect.

dtraveller

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 7th, 2012
In most Asian countries, when eating, talking to someone in authority or talking to elders or even going inside someone's house or premises, always remember to remove your headgear that you are wearing - this shows a great sign of respect to Asian people.

Alarly

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2013
My boss has came from Thailand.. Just one moment, take care of you're a foreigner..

dtraveller

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 7th, 2013
I am actually curious about frequent earthquakes in Japan - as I was informed to be of a normal thing for the locals there. Are earthquakes in Japan part of their everyday life? Or are there just particular places being hit normally by those quakes?

OzzyDesi

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 14th, 2013
In my country, in many parts of northern India, if you are planning to go to remote areas accessible by roads that penetrate deep into the countryside, be at least a group of 3-4 persons. Females should especially think twice going alone or in groups. Things have been going quite bad in northern areas.
"Nature is ever giving. Are we?"... Reach me at http://www.thegreenerpastures.com

greyeyedman

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 14th, 2013
This goes for anywhere in the third world. Take a calculator. An all too common scam on money changing, especially at borders, is the existence of rigged calculators. Know the exchange rate and do the math on your own calculator. Yeh... I know lots of phones have them, but borders are not a place to be pulling out iPhones. A $5 calculator is much better. Another money scam involves ATMs. Crooks have small devices that slide over the card slot and record your info. Folks just figure out that it is an odd designed ATM. If in doubt, go inside the bank to use a lobby ATM. On the subject of debit and credit cards...banks security systems include computer monitoring of transactions to search for identity theft. People that steal credit card info at home often bulk sell it to third world countries. The computers search for sale in unusual locations and in amounts that aren't typical for the account. Call your bank's security department and tell them where you are going, for how long and if possible what you think your average daily withdrawal will be. Also.. if possible have someone at home that you can put on the account. Include their phone number. Bank security departments won't talk to someone not on the account. Finally, get a none 800 number for your bank. Not all small towns have the switching equipment in other countries to access 800 numbers. I was in a country that only had two places from which you can access 800 numbers. The bank had no other numbers on it's website. The best intentions don't always work so have a backup. I used to have WellsFargo. Planning a trip I called their security department. "I'm going on a trip and want you to flag my account so it doesn't get frozen." "Yes sir, that is our sole job at this office. Where are you going?" "Guatemala." Pause... "Uh... sir, where is Guatemala?" "Central America." Longer pause. "Sir, I don't think you understand. You only have to notify us if you are leaving the country." "Central America as in south of Mexico...not Kansas and Nebraska." Long pause. "oh...thank you sir." I was in country two days and they froze my account.

JennyBrow

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2013
By far the most safest place to travel in Asia is Singapore. I have always been reluctant to travel in BKK.

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Travel