Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Asia Warnings

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: May 10th, 2005
This is a new thread of Asia warnings. It is to be used for Asia specific warnings only. Warnings include instances of robbery in a certain part of a city, bad hostel experiences, etc. As a content-rich thread, we do not want any back-and-forth or questions. Please direct all questions via Private Messages (Click on "Go" in the left hand corner, select "My Space" and then "Private Messages") to the poster. You can also issue a PM by clicker on the poster's name and selecting "Private Message". Any post that does not contribute relevant information will be deleted. Examples include: responses to previous posts in the thread and questions. The information can be on any city, region or country in Asia. When reading these experiences, please remember that there are two sides to every story and warnings should be issued sparingly.

Court

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 10th, 2005
Be wary of catching a taxi from BKK airport. The non-metered ones show up in the taxi queue, just like the metered ones. Ask before you climb in.

jcat

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2005
Hi I'm thinking about travelling to Thailand July 10th-Aug 3rd. My friend backed out on the trip and now I seem to be going on my own. I know no one there. Do you have any suggestions? I've done quite a bit of research, but would really like to have someone show me around for at least the first few days so I can get acclamated with how things work there. I fly into Bankok at midnight. Any suggestions or website recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
janice

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 27th, 2005
Well, I recommend Suk11. Great, safe place for a solo traveler and condusive to meeting other travelers. And even if you are determined to stay elsewhere, I recommend their links page which has tons of helpful information.

PhotoChick

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2005
I recommend the airport buses from the BKK airport if you don't want to deal with the taxis. If I remember correctly, it's only 100 baht and there are four different lines, one of which leaves you right down the street from the great Suk 11 which Joe mentioned.

PC
Latest Adventure: Una Moto en Argentina
Check out my RTW blog

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

The metered taxis say something to the effect of "Metered taxi" in enormous letters right on the dang thing.

Why anyone would want to mess around with a dumbass bus after flying in a metal tube for what amounts to 24 hours is beyond me.

Air-conditioned taxi. Door to door service. <$6.00.
What's not to like?

Monkey

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

quote:
Originally posted by Court:
As a content-rich thread, we do not want any back-and-forth or questions. Please direct all questions via Private Messages (Click on "Go" in the left hand corner, select "My Space" and then "Private Messages") to the poster. You can also issue a PM by clicker on the poster's name and selecting "Private Message". Any post that does not contribute relevant information will be deleted. Examples include: responses to previous posts in the thread and questions.

??? no ??? Wink

HeHe You can delete this one as well of course.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing. Only a person who risks is free

Travelling Each Other Mad

Monkey

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

For up to date information on all countries, the FCO website provides clear guidiance and recommendations of places to stay away from (usually due to terroism, or natural disasters). Don't take it too seriously, although for UK citizens if you go to an area they advise against going to, it could invalidate your insurance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, and is nothing. Only a person who risks is free

Travelling Each Other Mad

Bubbha

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 3rd, 2005
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Ehrlich:
The metered taxis say something to the effect of "Metered taxi" in enormous letters right on the dang thing.

Why anyone would want to mess around with a dumbass bus after flying in a metal tube for what amounts to 24 hours is beyond me.

The airport buses are comfortable and convenient. They bring you right to the areas most people want to go to when you arrive in Bangkok.
--
"Qian li zhi xing, shi yu zu xia." - Chinese proverb

tktansy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 5th, 2005
quote:
Originally posted by jcat:
Hi I'm thinking about travelling to Thailand July 10th-Aug 3rd. My friend backed out on the trip and now I seem to be going on my own. I know no one there. Do you have any suggestions? I've done quite a bit of research, but would really like to have someone show me around for at least the first few days so I can get acclamated with how things work there. I fly into Bankok at midnight. Any suggestions or website recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
janice

Hi Janice

How are you doing? Shame about your friend backing out. I am in the same situation & will be arriving in Bangkok on 30th June staying for 3 nights then heading to a beach resort (prob Phuket) for a week to chill then another 6 weeks free to travel. If you fancy sending me a mail when you arrive I can answer any questions you may have & exchange ideas etc. email tktansy@btinternet.com

In the meantime take care & try not to worry too much. I am sure we will find our feet soon enough.

T

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2005
When going to the black market in Ulaan Bataar, Mongolia, don't take a daypack. Just put some money in your pocket, or in a plastic bag. I carried my daypack in front of me, with my hand on it and was being alert and it still got slashed, so the usual carefulness is not enough. I've heard similar stories from others so what happened to me was not an isolated incident. Haven't had any problems anywhere else in UB.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

elisat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 15th, 2005
When Ko Phag Ngan Full Moon Partying - heed the warnings and DON'T take anymore money than you need. I got my bag stolen (with little in it) but I luckily had it reclaimed.

I've met quite a few people that have fallen prey to the motorbike cowboys stealing bags off you in TukTuks in Vietnam as well as parts of Cambodia. This probably extends all over Asia too, so basically, if you go in any Tuk Tuk or on the back of a bike, make sure your bag is REALLY SECURE (ie attached to you in some way - on your lap is NOT secure enough!!!).

When you load your backpacks on buses heading places (especially overnight buses etc) I'd suggest putting as many padlocks on your bag as possible, to prevent people going through it (on most buses there is actual access from the main carriage to the luggage compartment). It hasn't happened to me, but has to a lot of people I know.

I'd just always read up on an area in a travel guide before you go there so you know what the warnings are. Some things are no big deal, but there are loads of ways to waste money if you're not careful (eg. change money before you go into Cambodia rather than at the border where the exchange rate is pants!).

elisat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 15th, 2005
ONE MORE!:

If you're getting the bus from Poi Pet to Siem Reap (horrible journey) just wait for the breakdown! There always seems to be a 'fake' breakdown on the bus, which results in you waiting around for about an hour until they 'fix' it - The idea of course is that you become really sleepy and when you finally arrive at their guesthouse (or the one they've been paid extra to take you to) that you will instantaneously take it, and not bother to find anywhere else. Our whole bus boycotted this since we knew they were bshitting us, but it could be disconcerting if you didn't know it was a hoax in advance!

PMunster

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 22nd, 2005
I will surely be in BKK around the 17th of July, want to meet up for a beer?
~* In The End, There Can Only Be One! *~

elisat

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 28th, 2005
Not sure if that was directed at moi or not, but if it was, alas I'll be heading to New Zealand on the 12th so no can do.. Have a great trip me dears.. Wink

Next

Return to Asia Travel