Travel writing seems like a dream job: a life on the road, going exotic places, writing whenever you wanted and getting paid for it too! Get tips on how to break into the business, learn more about what it's really like working as a travel writer and get feedback on your own stories.

Aspiring Travel Writers Needed

DTGuruWendy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 7th, 2011
We're looking for aspiring and enthusiastic travel writers and photographers who want to get their work published and start making a name for themselves.

The recently launched DT Guru programme lets you work towards 'Guru status' for a country of your choice by submitting photos and articles on at least six cities in that country.

All those who reach 'Guru status' will receive an exclusive badge to show on your blog or portfolio, proof that your work has been vetted and approved by the editors of Destination-traveler.com and your peers.

It doesn't cost anything to post, and anyone can make a submission! View http://www.destination-traveler.com/dt_gurus.asp for more information or to get started...

Fluffy_bunny

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2011
I notice you do not have a Middle Eastern section on the site. Reasons?
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

DTGuruWendy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 8th, 2011
Hi there - when the site was originally built in 2006, we only included the top destinations for our UK and US audience. However, as you've pointed out, this could do with some revision! We are currently assessing how we can bulk up additional destinations and retain the ease of navigation - where there any countries in particular which you were interested in? Thanks!

Denise Pulis

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

I see, yet another website which wants free content without offering any monetary compensation in return. Yes, everyone offer badges, but can you buy holidays or pay the bills with those?

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

Very limited destinations + a lot of work & cost involved to line the pocket of someone else. :(
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

DTGuruWendy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 9th, 2011
Hi there

Both valid points, and I'm sorry if I didn't explain the concept properly. It's in no way meant to boost the content of the website to a degree that it would contribute to its monetary income. More of a platform for people who have an opinion and like to post it around the web, but aren't always sure where to go with their writing. I had thought it may work, trying to promote the idea to travel writers but you are quite right that anyone who takes their career as a travel writer seriously would def not be offering their services for free. So I shall try another avenue - thanks again for the insight!

Return to Travel Writing