Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

AUS Road trip from Melbourne to Cairns -- how much time?

Cheryn

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Tags: australia, road trip
  • Added on: April 24th, 2011
I'm wondering how to plan for a great road trip that isn't rushing it... I want to start in Melbourne and drive north up the coast to Cairns. How many weeks should I plan to do this?

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 24th, 2011
Are you intending to stop anywhere specific on the way? I'd probably allow 2-3 weeks and visit Canberra, Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Sunshine Coast etc etc. When you get to Cairns, I'd spend a few days there and visit Malanda, Port Douglas etc. Are you from Melbourne? Because I'd spend a few days there too!

Ankitjha

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2011
hey,

If you are starting your trip from Melbourne then go to Sydney ,Brisbane, Port Douglas and then go to Cairns.
As it will give you a chance to see many wonderful and beautiful creations of the world.

Enjoy the traveling. :D

Ankit Jha

Aliantraveler

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 26th, 2011
Need more details on your route and plans. I mean, you can drive directly from Melbourne to Sydney in a day, but you could also spend weeks getting there by meandering along the coast and in the Alpine country.

Brooke vs. the World

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 27th, 2011
Hi Cheryn,

I would give it *at least* a month if you don't want to be rushed, but it all depends on how many stops you want to make. There are so many great places to stop off along the way. I did a Cairns to Sydney road trip last year that was 16 days, but it was VERY rushed (heaps of driving!) and we skipped a lot.

You can read my post about it to get ideas: http://www.australiablog.com/planning-a-trip/16-day-itinerary-cairns-to-sydney.html

So, you could easily double that, especially when going further on to Melbourne.
Brooke vs. the World - Travel Blog | WhyGo Australia - Australia Travel Guide | @brookeschoenman - Tweet Me

Philip_P

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 28th, 2011
I agree with Brooke that it would be rushed if you took less than a month. If you going to include seeing anything of Melbourne and Sydney, I think 6 - 8 weeks would be better. I would also suggest you look into visiting Cape Tribulation from Cairns. It would be easier to make recommendations if we knew what your interests were and how long you can allow for the trip.
Check out the Whitsunday Islands when you visit Queensland, Australia

partymarty4870

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 20th, 2011
Definately at least a month. If you were do the drive straight only stopping to eat and sleep it would take 5-6 days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel