Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling in Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Australia to New Zealand .....by boat?

kiwikyles

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: October 16th, 2009
Hi All!

I'm a Kiwi girl currently traveling to New Zealand from London, by myself, and on a bicycle.

I was going to finish this journey to Brisbane but now I've extended my goalposts across the ditch.....to home (which is Christchurch). But how to get from Australia to New Zealand without taking a flight?

I've been going since Anzac Day (April 25) and plan to be with the ANZAC troops in East Timor Anzac Day 2010...so this is still a wee way off. Just putting my feelers out know to see what you all think?!

I've pledged to do this whole journey overland, and not take a single flight at all. Occasionally I take a train, a boat, a bus but hey......it's not you with the sore bum!
But mainly I bike.

Currently I'm in Pakistan and have been presented with a great opportunity to go into Afghanistan - so I'm off to Gunners!

My route is UK>France>Italy>Albania>(Kosovo)>Albania>Macedonia>Greece>Turkey>Iran>Pakistan>India>Nepal>Tibet>China>Laos>Thailand>Malaysia>Singapore>Indonesia>East Timor>Australia>New Zealand!

Blog is on http://www.bugbitten.com/kyles

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....many thanks! :D

uspn

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2009
I can think of at least three options.

1. Ask around at marinas on the east coast of Australia known as departure points for private yachts that may take on "working passengers". (Sydney, Coff's Harbour, Airlie Beach/Whitsundays, Cairns are places with a reasonable chance of finding a vessel, at least during sailing season.)

2. Pay your way through on a freighter. You may have to go through a specialized agent to find a way, though. A good Web site to orient yourself about this option is http://www.cruisepeople.co.uk/col.htm , I think.

3. Get in touch with companies that do Antarctica cruises out of Australia/New Zealand. Part of the expensive deal on these cruises is that during the long boat ride, the passengers are offered interesting lectures. I imagine there may be a vessel or three each year leaving from Australia to Antarctica and stopping off somewhere in New Zealand to resupply and pick up more passengers. If so, you should market yourself as a potential lecturer for the first leg from Australia. That should give you a free ride!

I see these guys have a cruise that leaves from Hobart (there's a boat from Melbourne to Tasmania) and ends up in New Zealand:
http://www.orionexpeditions.com/expedit ... on_heading

Maybe there are other cruise lines that also take on lecturers (or a temporary spinning instructor!) for the crossing of the Tasman Sea, not necessarily Antarctica cruises.

Also, by the time you get to the finishing line, your leg muscles just might allow you to swim across. #8D)

Bjørn
http://bjornfree.com/

Whistler

The Thunder From Downunder Goddess

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 19th, 2009
The only boats that travel between Australia and NZ are cruise ships - all with a hefty price tag.
Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.

MY TRAVEL ALBUMS
MELBOURNE DAILY PHOTO

kiwikyles

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 11th, 2009
Thanks for all of your replies!

I've also been told about a website; www.findacrew.com so will try that too!

Whistler; I sent all my belonging I had acquired in the UK home to New Zealand by seafreight so there MUST be more than just cruise ships that head down that way.

I've also heard there are a lot of prestigious boatbuilders in the Melbourne area that build superyachts which are then sailed over to Auckland in New Zealand so will explore that option too....

Kyles

patricia23

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 26th, 2009
I've never heard of anyone taking a boat between Australia and New Zealand.

kiwikyles

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 27th, 2009
Well I'm pretty determined to do it Patricia and not about to fall at the last hurdle ......so please cross your fingers for me!

I have a bit of a media following back home now so hopefully that builds up some momentum by the time I reach Australia and need to get across 'the ditch'! :lol:
Last edited by kiwikyles on March 2nd, 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 1st, 2009
Ok curiosity has gotten the better of me kiwikyles- how are you gonna get from East Timor to Australia? My understanding was that was the only leg that prevents a person from going overland from London-Sydney which bummed me out as I always wanted to try that!

Fifey

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2009
One of dad's mates travelled from Aus back home to the U.S. on a Russian cargo ship. You should be able to find something, maybe by calling up, or e-mailing shipping companies that travel the route? Chances are you'll be stuck with a dull, unhelpful receptionist, but hey, worth a shot. If you explain your overland adventure it might melt some of their icy hearts.

I was really pumped about going from the U.K. to Norway on a boat but since the last ferry doing that service closed, going on a freighter is probably my last option. Hardly as ambitious as even just your Aus to NZ leg, but still, gotta start somewhere!

Just checking out ya blog. Your trip is amazing, and it's deffo something I'd love to follow. Live vicariously through the lives of others and all that while I save up money for my trip.

kiwikyles

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2010
Hi All,

Well I got a boat after having made it as far as East Timor (and sticking up posters along route).

Now going back to Benoa Harbour in Bali to crew a private yacht heading to Australia and New Zealand. Nearly home!

London, United Kingdom to Christchurch, New Zealand ....BI cycle (odd train or bus)....no plane. This Kiwi bird didn't fly...

Thanks for all your comments and advice...much appreciated!

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 22nd, 2010
kiwikyles, that is awesome and I'm so glad to hear your dream is going to happen! Best of luck while at sea :D

partymarty4870

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 22nd, 2010
Having bummed my way around the Pacific on private boats let me say that it gets easier the more you do it as you'll meet more people and get more experience on yachts. It's that kind of thing.
You'll probably end up like me - saving for your own.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns

Return to Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Islands Travel