Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Australian cuisine that's perfect for a food lover

jackberry

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 4th, 2010
Actually, am planning to visit Australia. So what are the food that are a must eat for visitors coming here? Can anyone give me a quick list of dishes and food items that I definitely must try out.

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

The locals can correct me on this one, but I couldn't track down much genuine Australian food outside of a kangaroo burger. My couchsurfing host described Australian food much like the choices one would find in the US... only the Asian dishes are more delicious. The yum-cha right across from Paddy's Market in Sydney was quite good, and I indulged in Tim Tams. Never did try a 'roo burger though.

Oh yeah, the beer is stellar. James Boag Premium Lager. Mmm.

Also... if you're only planning a visit there, why is your signature a link to Australian Immigration..? :confuse:

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

larizzle is right. We don't have much in the way of traditional food. Most of what we'd call traditional food is traditional English food. However, some suggestions would be:

-Fish & Chips (traditionally English but damn we can do a good fish and chips. If possible, have your fish and chips in northern Australia somewhere - the fish they use in southern Australia just isn't as good).
-Meat pie (apparently this is almost unheard of in the US?? Again I think it is traditionally english.)
-Kangaroo meat. This is a bit hit and miss. It's easy to cook kangaroo meat badly and make it too tough. But if it's cooked well it's good from what I remember... only had it once several years ago.
-Tim Tams. Absolutely.

Beer-drinkers love our beer too but I hate beer. Just keep in mind Australian beer is much stronger than American beer. Our university campus had an american student killed a few years back when a bunch of american students got into cars much drunker than they realised.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 5th, 2010
Vegemite

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 5th, 2010
Tim-tams!!!

Seriously now, when I was in Oz what I remember doing with my family is taking advantage of all the ethnic Asian cuisine you have all around- we didn't have much experience so one night we did Indian, the next Japanese, then Thai, etc. Even if you've had a bunch of awesome Asian food in your lifetime there's no way this plan wouldn't be awesome. :)

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 7th, 2010
Oh Tim Tams, how I miss thee.

And then you gotta do a "Tim Tam Slam": bite off the opposite diagonal ends at the corner and use it as a straw for your tea, coffee, or hot chocolate. It melts in your mouth if you catch it quick enough!

Send me some while you're there? Puh-lease! ;)
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 7th, 2010
My dad introduced me to Tim Tam Slams with port. I didn't give it a go, ew :-\ and I don't drink tea of coffee. Will have to try it with hot chocolate sometime...

jackberry

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 15th, 2010
larizzle wrote:The locals can correct me on this one, but I couldn't track down much genuine Australian food outside of a kangaroo burger. My couchsurfing host described Australian food much like the choices one would find in the US... only the Asian dishes are more delicious. The yum-cha right across from Paddy's Market in Sydney was quite good, and I indulged in Tim Tams. Never did try a 'roo burger though.

Oh yeah, the beer is stellar. James Boag Premium Lager. Mmm.

Also... if you're only planning a visit there, why is your signature a link to Australian Immigration..? :confuse:

Wow! thanks a lot. And regarding on my link Australian immigration. Well am just happy with they're services, that's why I make them as my signature.

KenLuck

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 17th, 2010
Does anyone have the recipe of Tim Tam?

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Seems to me that I remember the big thing on the menu being a combo platter of Emu, Crocodile, Kangaroo & Camel, sausage platter was fairly reasonable but with cuts of meat was insanely pricey.

Of course the meat pies at bus stops, first time I ever heard of meat pies as finger food though!
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

KenLuck wrote:Does anyone have the recipe of Tim Tam?

I just did a search on Google with not much luck. You can buy them online at aussiefoodshop.com.

Arnott (company that manufactures Tim Tams) sells a very similar product in identical packaging in the USA at World Market stores, and you can order them on their website. They're definitely not as good, however. The biscuit is a little tougher.

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Target also sells a Pepperidge Farm version of Tim Tams. They aren't as good, but they suffice when I'm missing me some Tim Tams!
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

monkeymia

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 18th, 2010
Emu meat is also available, there is an Emu Farm just south of Nowra, NSW that makes Emu meat pies and I tried it there. It is like Kidney but very rich in flavour.
Melanie.

Chinamonty

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 19th, 2010
Australia doesn't really have a traditional cuisine except perhaps what the aborigines ate as bush tucker. Modern Australian food is an amalgam of European and Asian styles using local produce. We tend to take aspects of various cuisines and combine them but we also have some restaurants that are true to their roots and as good as you will get. If you are foodie and not short of a dollar then perhaps a visit to the Rockpool in Sydney or Jaques Reymonds in Melboure would suit you fine. Really you don't have to go to upscale restaurants for good food, there are pleny around , especially in Melbourne. Perth is also becoming renowned for restaurants and of course the other cities are fine too, even regional areas have first class eating. I do a fair bit of cooking myself and I find I have a large Asian bent to my recipes as I lived in China for four years and enjoyed it so much.
people have suggested kangaroo and I encourage you to try it but it needs to be "rested" before serving. I sometime cook it on skewers with peppers and onion and a fruit (like kiwifruit or pineapple). and I leave it to rest and then if it is not quite hot enough I just put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. I do this with blue steaks too and it works well.

sanntick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2010
You can try the half-roasted Camel BBQ. It's good, fleshy and juicy. They roast it in such a way that it's crispy outside and juicy inside.
Great discounts for non profit organizations and people who would love to book their cruises or travel.

Next

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel