Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Australian Multiculturalism Becoming A Hot Issue

jackberry

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: January 3rd, 2011
For Australia, culture is probably one of the most important aspects of its national identity. Indeed, the unique Australian culture is what sets it apart from other countries. One of perhaps the most defining aspect of Australian culture is its emphasis on the idea of multiculturalism.

Thus it is not surprising that the land down under is very welcoming of other cultures. In fact, it does put much emphasis on multiculturalism being an integral part of the Australian way of life. Here, multiculturalism runs into almost every aspect, from food, to clothes, to even the kinds of recreational activities that Australians love to try out. read more

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 4th, 2011
Personally, I hate the way the Australian media and government keeps pushing us to be a multicultural society. Germany, Hungary, Tanzania, Cambodia, Argentina etc are not expected to embrace every other culture on earth and forgo their own culture, so why should we??

I have no problems with immigration or Australia's immigration policies.

By all means, immigrants can move to Australia and continue practicing their culture of origin but they (and the media & government) shouldn't everyone else to embrace it and be proud of it (fortunately, most do not expect this). That's their culture, not ours.

Btw, my husband & best friend are both immigrants and both share exactly the same view.

However I'm not sure this is the place to be promoting your blog.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 4th, 2011
LilaBear wrote:Personally, I hate the way the Australian media and government keeps pushing us to be a multicultural society. Germany, Hungary, Tanzania, Cambodia, Argentina etc are not expected to embrace every other culture on earth and forgo their own culture, so why should we??

I have no problems with immigration or Australia's immigration policies.

By all means, immigrants can move to Australia and continue practicing their culture of origin but they (and the media & government) shouldn't everyone else to embrace it and be proud of it (fortunately, most do not expect this). That's their culture, not ours.

Btw, my husband & best friend are both immigrants and both share exactly the same view.

However I'm not sure this is the place to be promoting your blog.

All I can say is this: if Australia didn't embrace immigration you would still be stuck eating British food all the time.

I'll stop there and let the horror of that sink in for a minute.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2011
Just look at what happened in OZ's sister colony Canada where it's no longer "politically correct" to wish anyone "Merry Christmas"! :darthmavis:
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Chebasaz

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 11th, 2011
An enlightened society is a wonderful thing. The problem is that there are plenty of unenlightened people just waiting to take advantage of it. :P

Multiculturalism works as long as everyone's on-board and flexible. The second one group starts saying, "No, our way is the correct way. Our culture is the only culture" then it all falls apart. The others make concessions in the interest of multiculturalism while the hard-liners stay strong. Pretty soon, you have one culture all over again.

Cynic? Who, me? ;)
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

-Rudyard Kipling

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel