Head Down Under and yap about bloody Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Determine the best place to buy a car, how to get a working holiday visa and the best route for travelling the east coast of Oz and around the Kiwi Islands.

Backpacking in Australia

1fungrl

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: November 27th, 2010
I couldn't find anything like this in the search query:) I am headed out to Australia in February of 2011 and I am curious as to whether there are a lot of backpackers there in comparison to traveling in Europe during the summer and staying at hostels. I love meeting new people and hope there will be a lot! I was never alone on the Eurotrip I took in 2006, which was when I got bit by the travel bug in a BAD way. LOL I think I am coming with one friend and even if she bails I'm going! Anyone else going to be there?!

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

You will not be alone! And if you're traveling the east coast, you'll see nothing but other backpackers or people on gap years!
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I will be there with the girlfriend. We arrive Feb 1 2011, in Sydney for the start of our 12 month work and holiday visa. Going clockwise around the country.
See you there.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 28th, 2010
You will definitely NOT be alone, especially at the time of year you'll be travelling.

Euro Voyager

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 3rd, 2010
Hey,

February....Australia! Nice timing. I'm sure you will meet plenty of fellow backpackers at that time of the year and in Australia!! It is one of top backpacking destinations IMO.

Have fun!
My travel blog: European Destinations to make your trip to Europe the best it can be!

jackberry

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2010
Well, that is true, love that kind of trip it reminds me my last trip in Australia. Maybe next year will be my possible time to do again backpacking in Australia.

sanntick

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 21st, 2010
Hopefully you will find a lot of backpackers, but may be not as much as one finds in European countries. But yes Australia attracts many tourists and you will get company, that is for sure.
Great discounts for non profit organizations and people who would love to book their cruises or travel.

Brooke vs. the World

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 29th, 2010
February is probably the busiest time of the year in Australia - hottest weather and plenty of tourists traveling around. You'll have fun meeting plenty of new people, but I suggest booking your hostels in advance!
Brooke vs. the World - Travel Blog | WhyGo Australia - Australia Travel Guide | @brookeschoenman - Tweet Me

FreeFlyingMe

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 6th, 2011
Yeah seriously don't worry - you will NOT be alone! Look on the Australia Gumtree website for other travelers - there will be heaps. Hope that helps :)

pyoung

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2011
Australia has a lot of attractions to offer to its travelers. So it is for sure that you will not be alone and will definitely find a good company during your stay at a hostel.

partymarty4870

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 16th, 2011
Just sty at hostels and do a few tours - you'll meet heaps of likeminded people
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Working Holiday Guy

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 29th, 2011
Theres literally HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of backpackers traveling around Australia - so rest assure, you will meet people! Many often travel on the same routes (down the east coast, up the east coast, clockwise around the entire country, etc.) so don't be surprised if you end up running into the same people at different hostels. I know some people mentioned doing the tour buses...and those are ok, but you are essentially a captive audience - you go where they tell you to go, eat where they tell you to eat, etc. If you meet some other backpackers at hostels that seem to be on a similar route and you think you can trust, id recommend pitchin' in with them and renting a car or van and travel around that way. See what yall want to see on your own schedule and split costs.

Theres tons of options on how to go about getting around the country and meeting people so don't think that you have to commit to any one method - just choose one and if it aint workin' choose another.

Enjoy the trip...
Working Holiday Toronto Info
http://www.workingholidaytoronto.com

JaimeeMaree

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 7th, 2011
As everyone has said in the comment section before me there will be HEAPS of backpackers all throughout Australia (Maybe a few less in some parts of Queensland because of the devastating weather they have had up there, but there are still amazing parts of Queensland that havn't been effected) February and March is THE BEST time to be in Aus. The weather is beautiful in almost every state and there are so many things to do. Most of the uni students are still on holidays so there should be heaps of people out and about and even when they go back to uni - we all know they'll still be out and about! I hope you have an absolute ball in Aus... Make sure you come and visit us in Melbourne!! That's where the really cool people are and all the fun happens ;) Keep us posted on your trip!
Aussie Lover - Aspiring Traveller - Hospitality Worker
http://www.rsacourseinfo.com

Return to Australasia and the Pacific Islands Travel