Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Backwards Hats

Joey

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: August 5th, 2006
Ok, i'm no frat boy but ever since I can remember I always had a habit of turning my baseball cap backwards. I'm a big fan of shorts, t-shirt, flip-flops and a backwards hat as casual, anytime, Florida wear. I flip my hat forward if the sun is really beating down on me.

Has anyone noticed on the road other nationalities wearing their caps backwards? Is this a strickly American boy tradition? Just curious because it is just something I have done since I was a little kid and wonder how it translates on the road.

Aside from the obvious, not wearing hats indoors and while I eat. But for those days on the beach in Thailand or walking around souqs in Dubai?

Any thoughts/opinions?

Marisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2006
I actually don't really remember baseball hats on any of my trips other than on the tourists/travellers, so I think wearing one automatically points to 'foreigner'. But maybe it's been in the locales that I've been to. I would venture to guess that it is more of an American thing, though.

Markus

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2006
Who outside of N.America plays baseball?

I think if they did wear them, they'd just call them hats Razz

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Venezuelans for baseball, One....Japanese...Two.

One MILLION OTHER PEOPLE WEAR THEIR HATS ON BACKWARDS...The Japanese, have adopted the incredibly FEY ( in my opinion) of wearing their baseball caps ASKEW.(it is so poncey it makes my skin crawl)

EVERY county I have EVER been to, there have been people with baseball caps. They are ubiquitous and I know of farmers in aldeas who have never seen white people before who wear these things. It's a thing. I've never been to Japan. But I've worn a Gi. Never been to Greece, but I've eaten feta.

D
Good Luck Out There.

Texas Otter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

You can see people in caps, though rarely baseball caps (Yankees are the one major exception). What seems to be popular right now, at least in the northern part or Europe, are the 70's style truker caps. You know the ones, look like your grandfathers John Deere, going out in the evening cap.
"Trips are not trips to me. They have to be expeditions. I blame this all on Lord Baden-Powell"- Jimmy Buffett
www.DnMAdventures.com | www.metrobloggen.se/AmericanDad

Elis

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 7th, 2006
Yup, trucker caps. It's some kind of alternative, coller-than-though, ugly retro thing. Or a weird designer label fabric hip-hop thing. But real baseball caps? At least in this part of Europe it's only touris who wear them. Or students at the american school, most of whom are american or at least want to be.

anniebanannie

All that and a bag of Doritos

Share on Orkut

Trucker hats hit Europe, huh? They moved out of style here, yay!

I don't like that sideway hat thing, either. And the backwards hat screams frat boy to me, sorry Joey. It also makes me wonder about the hair you might be hiding underneath.

But, what do I know? I used to do the very 80's style hat above the bangs with the ponytail through the hole.

Piecar

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Colombia....

Japan....

Israel...

Britain...

Italy....

Czech Republic....Although, to be fair, the pic is named "The Only Other Guy In Europe W Baseball Cap"
Good Luck Out There.

TylerDurden

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 10th, 2006
Don't cricket players wear hats as well?

Texas Otter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 12th, 2006
yea, but they also wear socks pulled up to their knees. Not a good look.
"Trips are not trips to me. They have to be expeditions. I blame this all on Lord Baden-Powell"- Jimmy Buffett
www.DnMAdventures.com | www.metrobloggen.se/AmericanDad

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 15th, 2006
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Otter:
yea, but they also wear socks pulled up to their knees. Not a good look.

Don't forget the sweater vests!

Where I come from, the athletes beat up the guys who dress like cricketers.

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets