Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Beijing Tour

Erika Ayala

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 1st, 2011
If I am intending to visit China to see the Great Wall, where do you suggest for me to stay?
I am thinking of a hotel that is accessible to shopping malls at the same time not too far to the Great Wall. Is that possible?

Hoping for your help guys! :)
Thanks!
It's for the Kids!! Support Adopt A School

ACBungalow

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 1st, 2011
I recently wrote about the China and some pointers for the Great Wall on my blog, here is an excerpt from it:

"You’re obviously going to do the Great Wall of China, when you go to arrange it, you’ll find there are multiple options for where you do it. I’ve heard the basic and most popular area is shit, it’s all been redone, and it’s just a tourist trap. You’ll want to do the Jinshanling and Simatai part of the wall, it’s not a short hike, and if you’re out of shape it can be a little strenuous, but it’s awesome. It’s a lot of up and down, and sometimes the steps are pretty tall and narrow, but there are a lot of old Mongolian women everywhere who manage to climb it daily with a cooler full of drinks to sell you, so the average backpacker should have no problems making it through. Towards the beginning, there is an optional Gondola ride, we did it, I wouldn’t say it’s a must, but I think we made the right choice doing it, didn’t feel like we missed anything by skipping the first portion of the trail. At the end there is a zip line which looked fun, but it was closed when we were there, not sure if it’s still in use."
- http://blog.thecheaproute.com/visiting- ... s-answers/

I think you should stay in the center of Beijing somewhere, don't try stay close to the wall. Plenty of tours leave daily from Beijing, and you'll be closer to everything else, I don't have a specific hotel though, sorry. Hope this helps!
I also write about my travels and post photos in my Off The Beaten Path Travel Blog, come by and say hi!

Return to Asia Travel