Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Being equipped properly bags & clothes galore

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: February 25th, 2011
MrPlow42 wrote:I find it difficult to conceive of being able to pack clothes for warm and cold weather, for more than a few days and still fit as a carry-on unless you limit yourself to one pair of shoes, no electronics and doing laundry every day. Even then, it would be tight for me.

When I use checked luggage I carry 3 pieces: a roller suitcase, a carry-on backpack, and a laptop bag. I split my stuff between checked and carry-on because I don't want to lose all my stuff at once. Yes, it's a pain waiting for checked luggage. It's more of a pain losing everything but the laptop bag. The suitcase gets checked, even though it's carry-on size, because it's harder to steal from.

My backpack is one in name only. That is, it's designed to be worn for a kilometer or so before it gets too uncomfortable. I can handle it from the plane to ground transport. If I were walking longer than that I'd get something with proper straps and a waist belt, trading comfort for less space.

These are my thoughts exactly, I need a minimum of 4 days worth of each type of season clothing so that by the time I get to day 2 or 3 I'm ready to do laundry, I don't want to do laundry every 2 days otherwise I won't be traveling I'll be spending my time laundering myself! haha, and actually with synthetic and merlino wool the need to launder can be extended unlike cotton which needs to be laundered 1-2 days rather than merlino wool being 3-5 days you can pack less if you can launder less.

I avoid taking more than 2 bags even though the airlines (some) allow you to take 2 on board and 1 under (actually you can put 2 under also) but then again here comes all the airline fees and for what its worth the fees are nothing compared to not having enough and I can always travel overland and have carryon availability even if I can't carry it on the plane.

So you think smaller size suitcase is harder to steal from? If its between your legs, sure but roller suitcases IIRC are more bulkier than the same sized backpack. If it were me, I'd get a 55-65L backpack put most of everything in the main bag, put 1-2 worth of clothes and all my gear in the daypack/2nd bag.

Traveler_2007

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

halfnine wrote:whether a pack fits as a carry-on on a plane is the least of my worries. Having one that I can fit between my legs on a bus, sit on in the back of a lorry, etc. is. So wheels are out and something durable and less than 50L is in.

I whole heartedly agree with halfnine, as he is spot on. The bigger question you should ask, and answer, is how you want to travel. Also budget is an important factor. If you go with, "half the luggage twice the budget", you will be very succesfull in going carry on only. I have travelled carry on only for many years,for short business trip and long vacations. Some trips included hot and very cold destinations one after the other. Most people may not agree with my travel style though, and also at times it can be expensive.
Based on the destinations listed you should have absolutely no issues buying gear and clothes as you go along, as long as you have the budget. You can also get rid of them ( donate or mail them home back home or something else...)to maintain your carry on status.

Halfnine correctly points out that airlines are not the biggest problem you have. Hauling your luggage around on your own is far more challenging, if the luggage is too big.

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

The other thing I was gonna say, why not lash an existing smaller backpack via daisychain to the bigger pack? Sure it doesn't zip on or clip on nor is it streamlined but I don't know what kind of durability those dasiychains have.

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Finally narrowed it down to Osprey, Eagle Creek doesn't have what I want for size/features.

Osprey is pretty close, again wheeled backpacks are lacking a few things, I'm leaning towards wheeled for those big airports and train stations as well as other significant foot traffic as well the only time I can see using the backpack (main pack) is when boarding the plane/train/bus or negotiating uneven errain (stairs, no sidewalk, etc)

I know the wheels & handle will add more weight to an already empty pack, however I think that will be mitigated if I plan to have a travel wardrobe that will be light enough by using clothing that are synthetic fill and merlino wool.

The Osprey waypoint seems to have more weight capacity yet the waypoint is smaller than the farpoint, the farpoint have less weight capacity yet they are bigger than the waypoint which really doesn't make much sense.

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

MrPlow42 wrote:I find it difficult to conceive of being able to pack clothes for warm and cold weather, for more than a few days and still fit as a carry-on unless you limit yourself to one pair of shoes, no electronics and doing laundry every day. Even then, it would be tight for me.

A lot of that depends on what you select for your gear. And this is definitely where high end gear can help out. In addition to the clothes I am wearing and the random stuff in the bag, I fit in 3 shirts, 2 pants, 4 underwear, 4 socks, an extra pair of Size 11 shoes, sleeping bag, windshirt, synthetic jacket, poncho, travel umbrella, warm hat, silk liner, a few guidebooks, and foldable daypack into my 50L bag. Of course, that setup eliminates any kind of laptop or DSLR.

Of benefit, the travel pants are thin and quick drying (I bring along cycling leg warmers to wear instead of long underwear for cold weather...easy to take on/off without taking off the pants and take up hardly any space). The synthetic jacket is a light weight one and compresses down tiny. So does the windshirt. The down sleeping bag...same deal. Poncho..same deal. Warm hat is also a synthetic fill and disappears in the pack. The whole thing generally runs around 11 kilograms or so.
Last edited by halfnine on February 26th, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

Mama-to-many

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2011
Re the Newport sandals.
Maybe a word is in order. We were only tramping around the city in snow so it wasn't desperately deep. And our trekking was done in dry heat so no wet jungles there.
Maybe a more closed-in shoe would be in order. I prefer the open-ness of the Newport for breathability - but can see there may be times they may not provide enough protection from elements. The times I did get saturated, I just changed my socks at the first opportunity.

One more comment. It's not that you become slovenly or anything, but you may find you wash less once on the road. Clothes don't NEED to be washed every toher day ;)

LilaBear

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2011
Answer yourself this: what is the point in getting a backpack any bigger than, say, 65L? Even most fully able, fit people would get thoroughly sick of carrying a bag that big let alone a smaller person with a walking disability. My sister has a 65L backpack (she has never gone "backpacking", she just uses it as her regular luggage bag for normal trips and it's just easier to carry around the airport, between accommodation etc) and she is quite small, there is no way she could carry something any bigger. Looking at her bag is what has convinced me to get something smaller (we are about the same size).

I also saw you crossed out a certain bag because the ones below 60L are for "women only". You will probably find the only reason it has been declared "women's" is that the harness (and size of the bag) is smaller than the men's. If you're a small guy, that might fit you just fine.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 27th, 2011
Did an 1 month RTW with a 35 liter + a carry-on for cool weather clothes, which I sent home from BKK when I was done with the cold weather destinations, & a personal bag for my netbook.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Little J

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 27th, 2011
mynetdude wrote:1 10" netbook w/power supply (its not that big), wireless mini mouse and mini usb hub and portable DVDRW drive which is also pretty slim too
1 travel surge/extra outlets
1 monkey power battery recharger
1 Jabra bluetooth headset with optional usb to 3mm jack cable
1 Samsung Galaxytab (7 inch)

That's an awful lot of technology/weight. This is what I pack, technology wise.

I have a 9" netbook and it comes with a touchpad. Not ideal, but the touchpad will do for surfing the web and it saves me the space/weight of bringing a separate mouse. Not to mention, that mouse, as it is wireless, will need a separate power supply.

USB hub? My 9" netbook has 4 USB ports built in. How many more do you need?

Instead of a surge protector, look into a 3 outlet multi-tap. I have one by GE with surge protection built in. It is smaller and lighter than a powerstrip but will still meet your needs.

What do you need the DVD drive for? Burning? Watching? Can you preload a portable harddrive or 32 GB flash drive/SD card at home before you go? Can you just save your files to a portable harddrive or 32 GB flash drive/SD card while on the road? Anything with moving parts, such as a DVD laser motor doesn't necessarily stand up as well to travel as something without moving parts such as solid state media.

Your bluetooth headset is going to require recharging. Does your netbook have a built-in microphone? Just take some tiny earbuds and plug them in and then use the on-board microphone for skyping. You are on vacation, so it doesn't have to be perfect fidelity. This will also save you from having to ring the additional cable thing.

Why are you bringing a 7 inch device in addition to your netbook?

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 28th, 2011
Little J wrote:
mynetdude wrote:1 10" netbook w/power supply (its not that big), wireless mini mouse and mini usb hub and portable DVDRW drive which is also pretty slim too
1 travel surge/extra outlets
1 monkey power battery recharger
1 Jabra bluetooth headset with optional usb to 3mm jack cable
1 Samsung Galaxytab (7 inch)

That's an awful lot of technology/weight. This is what I pack, technology wise.

I have a 9" netbook and it comes with a touchpad. Not ideal, but the touchpad will do for surfing the web and it saves me the space/weight of bringing a separate mouse. Not to mention, that mouse, as it is wireless, will need a separate power supply.

USB hub? My 9" netbook has 4 USB ports built in. How many more do you need?

Instead of a surge protector, look into a 3 outlet multi-tap. I have one by GE with surge protection built in. It is smaller and lighter than a powerstrip but will still meet your needs.

What do you need the DVD drive for? Burning? Watching? Can you preload a portable harddrive or 32 GB flash drive/SD card at home before you go? Can you just save your files to a portable harddrive or 32 GB flash drive/SD card while on the road? Anything with moving parts, such as a DVD laser motor doesn't necessarily stand up as well to travel as something without moving parts such as solid state media.

Your bluetooth headset is going to require recharging. Does your netbook have a built-in microphone? Just take some tiny earbuds and plug them in and then use the on-board microphone for skyping. You are on vacation, so it doesn't have to be perfect fidelity. This will also save you from having to ring the additional cable thing.

Why are you bringing a 7 inch device in addition to your netbook?

I can't use earbuds, I wear hearing aids (I might have not mentioned this before) I have a choice of using bluetooth or wired headset and I chose the bluetooth option for portability.

I have significant vision/reading issues so a 7" tablet benefits me for map reading, looking up information on the go and reading books when I can't/don't want to use a netbook although the netbook can just as easily do just as much. My netbook currently has 3 USB ports and I do carry a couple different portable HDDs.

I would bring the portable DVDRW for burning so I can send my pics back home even though I'll have a copy on a portable HDD redundancy never hurts.

My multi tap/surge protector does not have a cord but it is kind of bulky and is still fairly lightweight. There are other small/lighweight tech I will need to bring with me.

At this point I don't think I will be getting a backpack just yet, I will go check them out at an REI store here in a few weeks and use what I have until I am ready for backpack. I think my goal for now will be to purchase leightweight/compactable travel clothing that will work in my existing luggage and will transfer over to a backpack in the future. I also want to lose weight, this will help me carry the backpack better

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

Thanks guys for mentioning the ear buds for Skyping, never thought of that, now can just use my iPhone ones, which I take anyway for music & also work on most airlines to watch the movies.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

i like northface bags 40-50L...a lot of them have daypacks that you can detach and use on daytrips...

I have a crestone (75L) and it was nuts carrying around for the years I traveled in the past...now I have some smaller bags I use (like my 40L northface)...also make sure your bag comes with a raincover that attaches over your bag...

also note that since you are going in winter to some cold places you may want to figure out the clothing part first before the bag as you may have some thicker clothing with you...

in terms of cool travel clothing check out: http://www.scottevest.com/
Josh has taken his much needed vacation and will be going on another Christmas to New Years 2011/2012. However, before he does read about his past trips http://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Eppyboy wrote:i like northface bags 40-50L...a lot of them have daypacks that you can detach and use on daytrips...

I have a crestone (75L) and it was nuts carrying around for the years I traveled in the past...now I have some smaller bags I use (like my 40L northface)...also make sure your bag comes with a raincover that attaches over your bag...

also note that since you are going in winter to some cold places you may want to figure out the clothing part first before the bag as you may have some thicker clothing with you...

in terms of cool travel clothing check out: http://www.scottevest.com/

Great link too, they have a jacket I want that has 37 pockets but I can't imagine that being space friendly ;)

we'll have to see, I saw some of the bags on video, but I need to see them in person and you are right I may have to wait on the bag and at this point that is what I plan to do for now.

folecr

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2011
Perhaps you can post more details on your style of travel : where you plan to stay ... and what you want to do?

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2011
Travel writer and ocassional contributor to bootsnall, Rolf Potts went on an around the world trip with no luggage using the scottevest vest with all the pockets and trimmings. I met him in NYC upon his return. He didnt seem to mind it. He had everything you need for like a 2 month trip in his pockets...ipod, expandable keyboard, socks, underwear...you can google and read about it.

As for packs. Just go to Northface store, REI, dicks sporting goods, or my favorite Eastern Mountain Sports...Try them on.

Also as an FYI, make sure while trying on packs you put weight in them...put the straps on and see how it feels resting on your hips thats most important when picking the right pack.
Josh has taken his much needed vacation and will be going on another Christmas to New Years 2011/2012. However, before he does read about his past trips http://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets