Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Being equipped properly bags & clothes galore

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 12th, 2011
LilaBear wrote:Answer yourself this: what is the point in getting a backpack any bigger than, say, 65L? Even most fully able, fit people would get thoroughly sick of carrying a bag that big let alone a smaller person with a walking disability. My sister has a 65L backpack (she has never gone "backpacking", she just uses it as her regular luggage bag for normal trips and it's just easier to carry around the airport, between accommodation etc) and she is quite small, there is no way she could carry something any bigger. Looking at her bag is what has convinced me to get something smaller (we are about the same size).

I also saw you crossed out a certain bag because the ones below 60L are for "women only". You will probably find the only reason it has been declared "women's" is that the harness (and size of the bag) is smaller than the men's. If you're a small guy, that might fit you just fine.

which is why I was considering wheels on the bag as well; but many wheeled backpacks don't have lashings to stow walking sticks, camera tripods, umbrellas, etc.

Didn't see your post, somehow... but yes women's bags are smaller and I do have a small body somewhat I'm not tall like most guys are the only other difference to a woman's pack is the hip belt is not the same shape as it would be for a guy (theirs are more curved)

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2011
Mama-to-many wrote: One more comment. It's not that you become slovenly or anything, but you may find you wash less once on the road. Clothes don't NEED to be washed every toher day ;)

Not every piece of clothing needs to be washed every other day, the only clothing I can see needing to be washed regularly are tshirts and underwear even if you shower every day or at least every other day depending on your activities, more rigorous activities require both more showering and laundering. I can wear my pants usually 2-4 days depending on how dirty they get. Socks are about 2-3 days max for me and my jackets are about 2-4 weeks again depending what I'm doing and how much exposure to the elements outside.

mynetdude

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 13th, 2011
folecr wrote:Perhaps you can post more details on your style of travel : where you plan to stay ... and what you want to do?

Not sure how to elaborate on this as I have never done this before:

What style? I don't know, a little bit of everything and keeping it simple?

Where do I plan to stay? for now, hostels I haven't tried couchsurfing but I've slept in hotels plenty and I don't know where else to stay other than camping which isn't really something I want to do anyway.

What do I want to do? That's the question I am still exploring, err what do I want to do vs what can I do? Well I went to NYC I did the HO/HO bus tours, went point to point in a taxi due to my short time constraint and didn't see everything but I knew that wasn't possible in a short trip. I went to Hawaii, in spite of my own reservation errors I got ONE tour before I went back home; I enjoyed that too.

I haven't tried any other group tours because I'm afraid that they'll go too fast for me, and the best thing about Hawaii's ENOA island tours was they were the right pace for me :).

I always gawk about going to museums, just checking out the cities in general, checking out some of the rail infrastructure, the back country, etc. I am taking a 2 week trip to Washington, while I am there I will be able to see some of the national parks there and of course museums as well.

I hope that answers your question :)

LongJohnSilver

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 14th, 2011
Yeah merino clothing is great, i have an icebreaker top and it is great! Peter Blake wore their protoype for 40 days and 40nights when round the world sailing! Now that's minimal!
Over here in the UK there is a company called Rohan, they make nice stuff, can you get it in the states?

Previous

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets