Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Best area of Bangkok

EvanR

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 19th, 2008
First time to BangKok, I get in a midnight. Can anyone tell me the best way to get to Soi Raumburtti? I'm looking to stay there so any hostel recommendations would be great too

Thanks

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 20th, 2008
You will be incredibly dog-tired and disoriented upon arrival, so the thing to do is to take a metered taxi to your destination. Another member recommended the Sawasdee Smile Inn.

Helen's Travel Corner

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 18th, 2008
I stayed at the hostel Suk 11 off of Sukhumvit Road and really recommend it. It served as my base when I was in and out of Bangkok this past summer. It's close to the skytrain and very accessible to the city.

I personally am not a big fan of Khaosan Road myself. It's a backpacker mecca not a taste of Bangkok or Thai culture. And I found it not as accessible to the rest of the city.

When you visit the Grand Palace, DO NOT FALL FOR A SCAM. Very kind people will tell you that it's closed and it seems like it may be the case because they're standing outside of non-tourist entrances. They suggest getting into Tuk-tuks for a short trip until the palace opens back up. They get kick-backs from the tuk-tuks who will also throw in a shopping visit on the agenda. Keep walking until you get to the main entrance.

I also recommend getting a Thai foot massage...the regular ones can be a little painful. A must see is the JJ Market (also called the Chatuckak Market). It's one of the largest in the world and you can get lost in its mazes.

I also found the restaurant Cabbages and Condoms fun to eat at not to mention crazy decor and your supporting a good cause.

Make sure to stay hydrated because it will be hot. Have a wonderful time!
www.helenstravelcorner.com
take the road less traveled

PACKINGITIN

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2008
I'm arriving alone and rather terrified at some point in November at my best calculation (after Croatia and Greece). Someone please tell me something to make me feel like I won't be totally overwhelmed, lost, scammed, or anything else bad....I only plan to spend a couple of days in Bangkok before moving on to other parts.

braslvr

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 3rd, 2008
As others have said, Bangkok is one of the easiest places in the world. It is so easy that some here find it boring or not challenging enough.

As for your arrival, after you clear customs, walk outside the airport on the same level. You will see a large queue of yellow, green, and pink taxis all lined up. Nearby there is a desk with 2 or 3 very friendly helpful Thai women who speak English sitting behind it. Tell them which hotel you are staying at, and they will take good care of you. About $10 and 35-40 minutes later you will arrive at your hotel safe and sound in air conditioned comfort. Honestly, there are few large cities in the US where it is so easy.

kkny3

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 21st, 2008
A year and a half ago, I started out on my 18 month trip. I passed through Bangkok to get to Chiang Mai where I was to stay for an extended period of time. Coming from NYC, I had no interest in this pulsing city, or so I thought. I arrived on a rainy eve a week after the coupe and was mesmerized. It was awesome. But my ticket was bought so off I went. Months later, I came back through and a Thai friend arranged for me to stay at Khao San Road. The hotel was nice enough and the price right. Six months later, I passed through yet again, and yet again stayed at Khao San Road. This time I hated it. met drunk old creepy men, and hassled non-stop by hawkers. The hotel was still pleasant enough but ugggh, never again. Plus, besides the walking distance to sights, everything else is difficult to get to. I would personally recommend staying near the city train system.
-------------------------
http://www.kkoller.com/weblog/

Teal

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 26th, 2008
I stayed near Saphan Kwai at a place called Asha guest house. It's a 10 minute walk to the BTS Skytrain, which is really great for getting around most of Bangkok. Also it's not saturated with travelers which is something I rather enjoyed. Unlike Khao San road or Sukumvit, you really get to hang out in Thai neighboorhoods and since I speak a little Thai it was fun trying to communicate with the locals.

WJLanders

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: September 16th, 2008
As a Bangkok newbie, you might consider staying NEAR Kao San Rd for a night or two and venture out from there; people in the area seemed better able to understand and accommodate the new western visitor. I liked two places, both less than a mile north of KSR: the eco-haven of Phranakorn Nornlen hotel, and the more traditional Baan Chantra guesthouse. Both are comfy, peaceful, and reasonably priced.

sunflowerz

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 11th, 2008
I think the Royal Palace is totally fantastic and the temples nearby are stunning. It feels like to be walking into an old city. Very beautiful...

busterbluth

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 31st, 2008
I'm a Bangkok n00b, but I had a great experience with Cozy Bangkok Place, a guesthouse about 2 minutes walking from the main train station, Hua Lampong. It is great for someone like me that doesn't want to spend a lot of time in BKK but just wants to stay a night or two before jumping off to other parts of the region.

Very clean rooms, quiet, very Thai neighborhood (no other guesthouses close, few tourists), and, as the name suggests, a cozy ambiance to relax after a hectic day in the big city. The staff are fantastic as well, very helpful and kind.

Just my $.02!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'there is little difference between being lost and exploring' dan eldon

JJ Voyageur

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 15th, 2009
Updating this thread, and agreeing with previous posts noting that "best" is, at best, subjective!

* You are a backpacker who want to hang out with other backpackers
-> Khoa San Road is it! Quirky, crawling with Farangs from every part of the world, Khao San is NOT Thailand, but it is in Bangkok and you'll have a blast.

* You are a cost conscious traveler, sometimes backpacker sometime not, and you hope for insights into the "real" Bangkok
-> There are a number of guest houses spread throughout town. Bangrak is the oldest part of the city and a few places off Charoenkrung offer low prices (600-1200 THB). Silom is central with easy access to the Skytrain and will get you anywhere via combination of the Skytrain, subway or river taxis--it's all connected! A clean, reliable guest house/inn with run around 1800 THB.

* You are blowing it all on the storied luxury of Asian hotesl and resorts
-> Best, and longest, river frontage, fab gym, good food, impressive design, the Shangri La may be best value of the three Asian hotels near Saphan Taksin (the riverside stop on the Skytrain).
-> Most intriguing check-in: the Peninsula has a lounge on the Bangrak side of the Chao Praya river in the River Garden Building (Soi Wat Suan Plu, opposite the Shangrila and on the riverbank). Check in, and a beautiful Thai style boat comes across the river to ferry you to your hotel, rising majestically from the opposite riverbank. No worries about being on the "wrong side". The boats ply the waters until midnight providing easy access to the Skytrain and Orientin (Pier 3) for rivertaxis.
-> Spectacular suites, cuisine and heritage impact: the Mandarin Oriental has a great little jazz bar, reputedly the best French restaurant outside of Paris (though you could fly to Paris for the price of dinner!) and the old part of the hotel is now converted into three romatic, character suites with soaring ceilings, antiques and the privacy of a separate wing. Best vaue: the Garden suites, two levels, set back to enjoy the river views and garden tranquility.

* You are just plain adventurous!
-> Whether your budget is Khoa San or Peninsula, Thonburi side offers insights into a Bangkok few tourists experience. Check out Studio Nine for off the beaten track entertainment on weekends. Reasonably prices delicious home style Thai food in a minimalist atmosphere, seemingly floating on the water right across from the Grand Palace--amazing nighttime scene. Studio Nine is where local entertainers show their stuff. Depending on the timing, it may be drumming, contemporary song, original musical compositions. They're all students at the Patravadi Theatre next door, and generally work throughout town as traditional Thai dancers.

-> Nonthaburi is the last river taxi stop north of Bangkok. Low prices and, again, virtually unknown to the majority of travelers. It is an easy 40 minute river excursion to the heart of the city, or perhaps 60+ to Saphan taksin and the Skytrain. But head in the other direction, nearby, to Koh Kret. It is the only island, completely devoted to wonderful pottery--you buy direct from the potters in most cases.

Others have commented on Sukhumvit. I head there for western restaurants and shops, but it is crowded, noisy and expat world. If necessary to stya out that way, I would pick THonglor where there are a few guesthouses set amoung the relatively greener sois.

Enjoy!

ormond

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 24th, 2009
If you are looking for the most night life in Bangkok you should consider Sukhmvit area(soi 1-30) or the Silom road area is good.I booked my hotel online before I went with resorthotel.net and stayed at a cheap but nice hotel called the Wall Street Inn in Silom.

CarlosAlbert

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 26th, 2009
Try the Shangri-La hotel. It's a really nice, high-class hotel down by the river. It's also a short walk to the sky train (which is excellent). The hotel isn't cheap though.

The Patpong night market isn't very good, you're better off going to MBK (day-time large shopping market, indoors). For a night market go to the one near Lumpini Park (I forget the name, the hotel staff will tell you about it). It's excellent and has lots of hand-crafted goods at reasonable prices.
If you need information regarding a Chile wine tour PM me.

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2009
i like china town area and Khao san road. It is touristy but it is something to experience as a first time traveler to bangkok...
Josh has taken his much needed vacation and will be going on another Christmas to New Years 2011/2012. However, before he does read about his past trips http://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

cezz

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 10th, 2009
Hey Carlos thanks for sharing those information about night market.. Hotel is not important I have uncle there and we can stay in his home for one week. We're planning to go there to buy clothes and some gadgets where can I buy gadgets there? I've heard that gadgets there are affordable and much cheaper.. Does anyone know?
Yellowstone camping is the best thing I've ever experienced last vacation.

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Travel