Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Best area of Bangkok

sburnham

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 4th, 2009
I am thinking about going to Thailand next year. I have been seeing very good deals on airfare online. This thread is a big help for info on Bangkok. I am also thinking about booking with a tour group to go from Bangkok to Laos and end in Hanoi then fly back to BKK before heading back home.

shubh

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 11th, 2009
Most of Bangkok's sights are concentrated in the "Old City" on Rattanakosin Island. Taking a cycle tour of Bangkok is highly recommended. Out of Bangkok's many temples, these are my favorite:
*Wat Arun (The Temple of Dawn).
*The Grand Palace, featuring Wat Phra Kaew (The Temple of the Emerald Buddha).
*Wat Pho, home of the world's largest reclining Buddha and a famed massage school.
Snake Farm, Crocodile Farm & Zoo, Amusement Parks, Chao Phraya River and Cruise to Ayutthaya etc are other great charms.

patricia23

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 20th, 2009
Thailand can be a shoppers paradise. The best place to shop is at the Chatuchak Weekend Wholesale Market. This is a shoppers dream come true where everything from cheap souvenirs, clothes, handicrafts to antique reproductions and even exotic animals can be found here.

emilymichael87

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 15th, 2010
During my last visit, I had taken up my Bangkok accommodation at Khao San Road, well….it is a maze of travel agents, hotels, guesthouses, restaurants, pubs, clubs…It's a world by itself.

laughingnomad

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 29th, 2010
Anyone looking to visit Bangkok please check local news. There is a major popular uprising that has been going on for 6 weeks and doesn't look like it's going to end anytime soon. There is a "tent city" in the intersection near the downtown malls (Chit Lom sky train exit) and the malls and many hotels there are closed. April 10 the police tried to rout the protestors at the Democracy Monument and it ended up with 25 people killed and a 1000 injured near Khao San Rd near and behind Burger King. Then on the 22nd another person killed and 75 people injured on Silom Rd (near Patpong) at the Saladaeng sky train station. So stay away from those areas. However, the protestors are pushing the envelope and trying to fan out into the city. Wednesday 1 policeman was killed when a caravan of 2000 protestors tried to enter a market near the Don Muang airport. The police are slowly closing traffic on six different major roads. Four different provinces have had bombs go off and protestors trying to stop auxilliary police from entering the city.

The US Embassy estimates 20,000 demonstrators but in my opinion that number is grossly undercounted.

Having said that, however, I just left after 6 months there and the city is ok as long as you pay attention to local news. Check http://www.bangkokpost.com, http://www.thaivisa.com, and http://www.bbc.com. Simon Montlake lives in BKK and writes good articles in the Christian Science Monitor.

The UK, USA and Canada have all issued warnings against any non-essential travel. But as I said, if you use common sense and stay in touch with local news you should be ok. After all, there are hundreds, probably thousands, of expats living in the city and no one is telling them to leave.

tracytravel

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 2nd, 2010
I am planning visit Bangkok. Could you let me know the best season to visit ?

laughingnomad

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 2nd, 2010
The best time (meaning less hot and humid...not cool) is November to January. Of course that is the high season and prices a bit higher. February starts getting hotter and by April you are dying. But April is also when Songkran (water festival) happens and you will get cooled off with water guns, buckets of ice water and hoses. April and May is when all the burning of the fields happen up north so I wouldn't go there then. Then rainy season usually comes. Hope this helps.
All who wander are not lost. Bilbao Baggins

polardkevin

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2010
Bangkok is a very big place, that why it is difficult to recommended best area of bankog . But i most like the Banglamphu area it is close to the Grand Palace, museums, and many other great things to do in Bangkok. You can always pick a place near but not in the heart of Banglamphu.

emilymichael87

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 4th, 2010
Bangkok having so many interesting places to see that makes it such a rich place for the visiting eye.

Culture and Entertainment:
Interesting places in Bangkok that are well worth visiting include: Jim Thompson's Thai House, Thai Human Imagery Museum, Bang Pa-In Summer Palace, etc.

Palaces:

Palaces that one may visit in Bangkok include: The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo, Phra Thi Nang Vimanmek and Abhisek Dusit Throne Hall, and Suan Pakkad Palace.

Museums:

The National Museum, Royal Barges National Museum, The National Gallery Museum, Geological Museum, Philatelic Museum, and the Ban Kamthieng.

Entertainment:

The National Theatre, Chalerm Krung, Royal Theatre, and Music art Center.

Religious Places:

The City Pillar Shrine, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Wat Benchamabophit, Wat Sa Ket, and Wat Ratchanatdaram. In addition to the temples and other shrines mentioned here, there are many more, which give tourists a pretty good variety to visit.

Markets:

Floating Markets, Flower and Plant Markets, Lang Krasuang and Woeng Nakhon Kasem.

Royal Fold Arts and Crafts Centre at Bang Sai Sanam Luang, Turf Club, and The Ancient City.

bobkerry

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2010
hey friends i am here to motivate you and also add one important thing that is the proper and better guide....no matter where you are travelling, one important thing is to travel propelry with proper guide....
so be happy and try to make your tour the best one

richard121

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 22nd, 2010
The places worth visiting in Bangkok are Temple of the Dawn (Wat Arun), Chatuchak Market, Suan Lum Night Bazar (for die hard shoppers), Royal Barges National Museum and The Ancient City. The Ancient City literally takes the visitor back in time and should be on everybody's must visit list.

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 22nd, 2010
Personally I found the less touristy areas on Bangkok were the best places to stay as well as the cheapest by far, just pick an area, rent an apartment & get to know the locality.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

crazyal

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2010
bobkerry wrote:hey friends i am here to motivate you and also add one important thing that is the proper and better guide....no matter where you are travelling, one important thing is to travel propelry with proper guide....
so be happy and try to make your tour the best one

One good thing about Thailand that is is very easy to get an organized tour through local travel agencies. Travel agencies act as tour brokers. They will have a menu selection of tours you can look over. Choose tour one day and leave the following morning. Sometimes find a night tour or evening dinner cruise in the morning and leave that same night.

There are lots and lots of local travel agencies. Some hotels even have tour desks. Just find the nearest travel agency to your tour and see what they offer. You are free to visit a different travel agency if you want. Many of the travel agencies book the same tour companies, even the expensive hotels too!

Good luck.
Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

walker11

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2010
Sukhumvit area is the place to stay if you are foodie kinds and love living in an area which is so full of life even after midnight.

JamesLeMay

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 31st, 2010
I like the area in Banglampoo just off Khao San Road behind the Buddist Temple. Quit but still has a spark.
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travelers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux

PreviousNext

Return to Asia Travel