Figure out the best place to stay on Khao San Road in Bangkok and where to escape when you've had enough of the mayhem. From Singapore Slings to the changes in Bejing after the 2008 Olympics, gab about it all here.

Best area of Bangkok

DannyJ

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Tags: bangkok, thailand
  • Added on: March 3rd, 2006
Hey people, hope everyone's happy today!

I've been doing a bit of research myself but would like some personal opinions from others. Which area of Bangkok would you recommend for a first timer in Bangkok?I was wanting to check out the main spots i.e. Grand Palace, Jim Thompson's etc. but also do alot of people watching and just generally get a 'feel' for Bangkok.

Hopefully by the time i arrive (September) i will have got my tongue around a small amount of Thai so wouldn't mind staying in a very 'Thai' area??? Obviously the first choice for most would be Banglamphu/Khao San Road but (no offence meant) it sounds like my idea of hell! After my own research i was looking at maybe Thonburi? I know it's the other side of the river but i don't think the traveling would be too much of a hassle, and it would be a good excuse to get on the river lots!

Also i was planning on spending maybe a week in Bangkok, do you think this may be too long?

Thanks in advance for any answers/recommendations/comments. Peace and love, Danny J
Live, love, laugh and be happy

js

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

quote:
After my own research i was looking at maybe Thonburi? I know it's the other side of the river but i don't think the traveling would be too much of a hassle

I'm not sure where exactly Thonburi is, but if you're near a river taxi stop, it's easy enough to get around town using a combo of the river taxi and public transportation (and A/C cabs when necessary!).

quote:

Also i was planning on spending maybe a week in Bangkok, do you think this may be too long?

I don't think it's too long. Bangkok may not have a ton of "must see" sites, but it is a very pleasant city that is worth lingering in. Get Nancy Chandler's map of Bangkok, check out the English-language expat magazines (like Farang), and just explore!

I stayed near KSR, so don't have any suggestions about other neighborhoods to stay in.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/speck/

crazyal

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

When I am in Bangkok I stay in the Sukhumvit Road area. I like the lively nightlife, familiar cheap restaurants and street vendors. In the Sukhumvit Road area and the Siam too area you can find inexpensive hotels and cheap food like the Khao San Road (KSR) area, but the main advantage is the Skytrain.

The Skytrain is an overhead rapid transit system that can be used to take you quick and cheap to many popular areas of Bangkok. There is no Skytrain stop in the KSR area. The Skytrain has stops at the Ekamai Bus station and the new subway. The new subway can connect you to the main train station.

Where you stay is sometimes influenced by your age. Many really really young travellers like to go to the KSR area and be with other really young travellers. Other, perhaps more mature, travellers seem to head for other areas of Bangkok like Silom, New Phetchaburi Road, Siam and Sukhumvit.

Pick up a a Lonely Planet TG and see what interests you. Some things appeal to women more than men. There are lots of travel agencies that have menu lists of cheap available tours to many places too. You can pick and pay for a tour that interests you - or go it alone. Always compare prices from different travel agencies if you want to take a tour that way.

Hotels are cheap in Bangkok, AirCon rooms with HW and private toilet/shower, etc. can be had from 650 baht to 4000 baht per night. In smaller towns and cities the hotel prices are even a cheaper.

No matter where you stay in Bangkok the taxi cabs are pretty cheap, compared to Western countries. Avoid taxi cabs lurking around bus stations or hotels, these parked taxi cabs will most often want to bargain for the fare. Stop a passing meter taxi, tell the driver "meter only" and pay the meter fare - it will be cheaper than bargaining. Tuk-Tuks will be more expensive for travel than the AirCon taxi cabs, unless you speak Thai.

Have fun in Bangkok.
Travel the world now before you get too old to do it!

static

Mod Squad

Share on Orkut

That post oughta be made into a "sticky".

cherry berry

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2006
i've been working in bkk for over 4 years but haven't got around yet. i like sukhumvit of course easy access to anywhere in bkk by skytrain, bus and taxi. if you like historical sites, go to khaosarn road area cos many places to see there in a walking distance.

another place i want to recommend is somewhere near bts taksin station. there are some cheap hotels there (i.e Bossotel, not really cheap if compared with khao sarn road, Shangri-La is there too..expensive na ^^"). it's close to the peir that you can catch a ferry to anywhere along the river line - KSR, temples, grand palace, koh kret, and close to skytrain that you can take to downtown in a few minutes or another side of bkk to jatujak (weekend market)or connect with metro.

i'm on sukhumvit line and i see less tourists when i get to phrakhanong area then on-nut.

not sure if this can be any of help Big Grin
.. ... . ... ... .. ... . .
tour...ism

wshane

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 4th, 2006
depends on ur personality... if u are in desperate need of other western tourists, head for kao san road. i don't think you truly experience bangkok by going to this area. personally, my favourite part of bangkok is silom road... any of the sois. silomcityinn is about $40 per night and in a fantastic location (this is expensive considering you can get one bedroom apartments for 5000 baht per month... $under $200) ... not far from siam square and the skytrain. by staying in silom, i met locals... no westerners which made for a fantastic time in bangkok (and i've got somewhere to stay now when going back!). i've fallen in love with bangkok and can't wait to get back... in a couple of weeks time... i'm even contemplating staying there a month or two after china. it will seem overwhelming on first arrival, but nothing beats the entertainment/facilities/ease of getting around etc.
http://www.travelpod.com/cgi-bin/guest_login.pl?t=rtw-2006&u=shanewilson&tweb_guest_password=&p=tpod

crazyal

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 5th, 2006
I like the Sukhumvit area but some tourists don't like being in an area that has so many bars around.

A long time ago before the Skytrain was finished I used to stay in the New Phetchaburi Road area. My place was not
too far from the First Hotel. Lots of street vendors, interesting shops, Pantip Plaza (6or 7 floors crammed with electronic/computer stuff,) Krung Thong Plaza (a mini garment center,) and lots of restaurants.

Once you know the cheap city bus system you can pay 5-12 baht for a bus ride that connects you to the Skytrain. Nearest Skytrain stop by walking is the Asia Hotel stop or up by Siam.

Phetchaburi Road is a nice area to stay in if you want a more "bar free" neighborhood but still have lots of places to shop and eat at.

AL

DannyJ

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2006
Thanks so much to everyone for posting replys here, lots of food for thought! Am still looking but i've got ages till i go yet and the amount of info here is enough to keep me in investigative work for a while.
Glad this has been made sticky as well, loads of helpful stuff here. Thanks again guys, Peace and love, Danny J
Live, love, laugh and be happy

Kunka

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2006
Banglamphu/Khao San Road

Why is hell?

No am not happy today.

Never went to Bangkok. May go in next five years. Have relative, Uncle, who went. Met his wife, in fact, there. She was another traveler. I think they wrapped their tongue on thai, too.

bucho_ky

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 17th, 2006
DannyJ, (not to offend anyone) but you are correct,
Khao San IS hell. In fact, it is a layer so deep that
even Dante was afraid to make mention of it. Smile

Im a BKK newb, but Sukhumvit is my favorite strip so far.

- Greg
http://www.gregoryrodgers.com

soulrebel

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2006
Bangkok rules! I love it. A week isn't too long. A lot of people just say you should get in and out as fast as you can, but I disagree. I came for a couple days and I've been here a week, still having the time of my life!
I like Banglampu (sp?) and in fact I'm here now. If you don't like KSR, don't go there! I like it for the people-watching. And I've met plenty of Thais here.
I also stayed on Sukhumvit which was cool too.
Leap, and the net will appear.

tumbleweed

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2006
I'm heading out to Bangkok in a couple of weeks. Khao San is not sounding too appealing so far but to be honest I do want some kind of touristy action for the first few days before I head North, purely to acclimatise I think. Is it really so bad? Why exactly? What makes Suk better?

crazyal

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 19th, 2006
What makes Suk better?

Depends on you! If you are a single male adult you might like the easy access to the many bars in the neighborhood.

If you like dealing with street vendors - there are loads on Sukhumvit. (New Phetchaburi Road, Patpong,and Siam also have lots of vendors too!)

You might like Sukhumvit for the easy access to the Skytrain. The Skytrain gives you connections with the Ekamai Bus Station and the new Subway. The Subway connects you to the train station. There is a Skytrain stop that takes you to the MBK shopping center and a stop for the Chatachuk market. There is a Skytrain stop for Patpong.

Cheap hotels, like KSR, are available in the Sukhumvit area, as well as lots of restaurants.

The Airport Bus (100 baht) has a route that runs down Sukhumvit. The Airport Bus provides easy transportation from the airport (up to just past midnight anyway!)

And, if you want to splurge, there are many expensive hotels available in the Sukhumvit area.

Traveling Thom

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 23rd, 2006
I love these forums! Bow
Thom

gonorth

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 3rd, 2006
Some extra content here from some of the same posters on another thread.
---...--- ---...--- ---...--- ---...---
Joes portly antipodean pal
He just wants my port and cherry ripes

Next

Return to Asia Travel