With loads of useful info on climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, overland travel and wild animal safaris, the Africa forum is the place to discuss the dark continent.

Best Beaches in Africa

gsutiger2

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 22nd, 2010
For all you travel gurus . . .
Where are some of the most beautiful beaches in Africa? I’m looking for turquoise green/blue, clear, and beautiful sand. Good food is a plus. Thanks!
Travel is the frivolous part of serious lives, and the serious part of frivolous ones. ~Anne Sophie Swetchine

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

The most beautiful beach I've seen was in San Pedro in Ivory Coast, but probably not the best idea to go there at this moment :( my husband, who's seen many more African beaches than I have, raves about those in Ghana and Togo. Though he still called San Pedro "more beautiful than Ghana". In any case, you probably can't go wrong with the southern coast of West-Africa.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

I really enjoyed the beaches on the Wild Coast of South Africa but they weren't the classic palm tree turquoise water kind. Some of the best surfing in the world though!

I've also heard that Zanzibar has amazing beaches and love the pictures so much I'm starting my rtw there in a good month or so- nice place to start coming from the middle of winter! 8-) Beyond that I've heard good things about Lamu and Watamu in Kenya- Lamu is apparently more of a party scene but Watamu is way more chill (and harder to get to!).

Phil in the Blank

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 26th, 2010
My personal fave is in western Ghana close to Dixcove. I have written about it here in some detail:

http://philintheblank.net/2010/09/03/th ... -in-ghana/

Out of CI, Ghana, Benin and Togo, that is my favorite beach by far. It is also one of the few places where riptides are not a huge concern.
Phil Paoletta
http://philintheblank.net - Traveling West Africa collecting and making music along the way.

pyoung

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2011
East African coast is lined with some of the beautiful powdery white sand beaches and clear blue waters. I would also like to vote for Zanzibar Island for its beautiful beaches and spectacular views.

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2011
I have been to Zanzibar and it really was absolutely beautiful. South Africa has great beaches. I have heard that Mozambique also has beautiful beaches. Tunisia, I think, also has nice beaches. I have been to southern, northern, and eastern Africa (and central Africa but obviously there are no beaches there) but I have yet to get to west Africa so I cannot comment on those beaches. I just wanted to put a pitch in for Mozambique even though I haven't been there yet. ;-)

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 9th, 2011
I forgot about the beaches in Egypt and of course all of the islands in the Indian Ocean. Here is a list of ten beaches in Africa: http://goafrica.about.com/od/africatrav ... africa.htm

Grey

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 23rd, 2011
I've driven the South/East coastline and Zanzibar is by far the best so far, the north west beach by Nungwe/Kendwa.

Moz has good beaches too as does SA but the combination of weather, sand, water temp, clarity was best in Zanzibar, amazing diving too.
Wandering Africa for a year in Search of Sunsets.

Iram Holt

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 7th, 2011
Hello Friends.....

Africa is one of the best continent in the world to enjoy the vacations....Means you can enjoy variety of things here like beach life,trekking,camping,adventure,cycling,cruising etc... Enjoying the beach life and the adventure are the best things that it gives to the visitors......Some of the popular beaches in Africa are,

1)Clifton Beach.
2)Gaansbaai.
3)Humewood Beach, Port Elizabeth.
4)Grotto Beach.

Iram Holt.

GilbertRobbins

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 5th, 2011
If you would like to paint and having enough time, you perhaps couldn’t paint a picture more immaculate than the beaches of Mauritius. And often we get ask what are our desired beaches in this area of the globe – definitely there are many world class beaches from Zanzibar on out to the islands of Mauritius.

Grand Baie still has fishing boats so when you visit the beach here, memorize that you’ll be sharing it with them. The beach and water is simply breathtaking here. Shade is close by with the tall Casuarina trees which line almost the whole coastline. This beach will perhaps have fewer people in it because of the fishing boat situation. If that doesn’t bother you, you’re in for a wonderful day at the beach.
I rely on my car hire

yatzi

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
I suggest Diani Beach in Mombasa-Kenya-EastAfrica. Its the best beach,You can walk all day along the beach.

Return to Africa Travel