How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

Best Countries to Start a Business In

sledfish

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 10th, 2011
Which countries (in general) are friendliest towards new businesses? Where are the costs lowest for starting your own business?

My college friends and I are looking for a good home for our mostly internet-based business.

Sophie9

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2011
Good question, I look forward to the responses.

They are not MY businesses, but I do business with expats who have relocated to Kuala Lampur and Singapore.

EMH

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2011
sledfish wrote:Which countries (in general) are friendliest towards new businesses? Where are the costs lowest for starting your own business?

My college friends and I are looking for a good home for our mostly internet-based business.

Probably depends on what you mean by "internet based business". That can encompass a lot of different things.
Career and Conflict Resolution Coaching
www.lotusblossomcoaching

sledfish

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 12th, 2011
EMH wrote:Probably depends on what you mean by "internet based business". That can encompass a lot of different things.

Let's assume that it's a business that can be set up anywhere in the world. Because it is "internet-based," work can be done remotely from anywhere in the world. Our employees can live in Australia, Guam, Nairobi, or anywhere they want.

According to CNN Money in 2009, (http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/sma ... index.html) the top 3 countries were: (1) Singapore, (2) New Zealand, and (3) US.

WomanSeeksWorld

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
It's cheap to set up a business in the UK (under $100 to set up a website, bank accounts, company name etc) but it would depend on whether you need an office or need to hire staff - if not, then the UK would be a good place (I have my own business here) but living costs can be high.

I would expect somewhere like Thailand or India to be really cheap to live and also hire staff and/or an office, but Im not sure of the process of actually setting up a business there, and if you need to have a special kind of visa. Definitely make sure you check out if you are eligible to start a business in a country before you go there, otherwise you could waste a lot of money!

Good luck!
Im an Aussie living in London and have written a guide to help others doing the same.
Follow my adventures on the path to becoming a fully-fledged nomad.

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 7th, 2011
check out soverignman.com. he talks a lot about this kind of thing. once i get my FM3 I'll be registerng my business in Mexico. taxes are cheap and there are tons of incentives.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

WestportClan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 16th, 2011
I've ended up starting a business back in my home town in Scotland. Enlightened or crazy, i'm not sure.

AsiaBill

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 23rd, 2012
Doing and investing in our small businesses and real estate in the Philippines has allowed us to prosper beyond our wildest dreams. There's no shortage of foreigners who are able to work on-line and able to live in the sun and appreciate the "life's a beach" lifestyle
Feel FREE to ask us questions about living, relocating & traveling in the Philippines; learn more by visiting our website.

Dylan85

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 12th, 2012
I came across a blog a couple days ago about a guy who has an online business run by himself, and makes enough to pay his way. The best solution to all of this to build a passive income source that can fund you as your travel the world. And you can build it as you grow.

Am I allowed to post the link here? Or PM me i can send it to you.

TEFLXpat

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: October 18th, 2012
From my experiences so far, the Czech Republic seems like a place with ample opportunity, as does Budapest, Hungary. I moved to Prague last year when I earned my TEFL Certification at a school called TEFL Worldwide Prague (which I'd highly recommend). I immediately noticed that there are a lot of internet startup companies and big businesses, entrepreneurial tour guides, and of course, opportunities to advertise yourself through the all-powerful internet.

Here in Prague, there is a tight knit expatriate community, and thus, many website which keep everyone connected to the Czech community. With a TEFL Certificate and an Entrepreneurial nature, you have the resources at your disposal to contact local business and explore employment opportunities such as offering to be their in-house English language teacher.

From living in Prague and visiting Budapest, I just get the feeling that there is unlimited opportunity to tap into. You just need to determine the need, visualize it, draft up some ideas, and hit the ground running!

Justin - TEFLXpat

ITTP

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 7th, 2013
It's definitely true that some countries are easier than others to get started in.

Japan and South Korea for example are extremely difficult to start up a company in because of restrictive local laws against foreigners doing so, while from my own personal experience it is extremely easy in Thailand and the Czech Republic if you have the motivation - especially if you have a local to help you through the local language paperwork and general bureaucracy.

Bear in mind though that starting a business requires initial investment of both money AND time. Lots and lots of time. If you persist though and you believe in your product or service then you should succeed but do also bear in mind that quite a large percentage of new businesses don't survive past their second year.

Hope it helps!

Neville :-)
ITTP TEFL Prague / Online
Get trained up to teach English abroad!
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.tefl-prague.com

Euro Voyager

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 8th, 2013
Czech Republic and Hungary are good options....im gonna add Moldova to the list, cheap to start a business, very cheap to live there, great internet and things to do!

justish

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 27th, 2013
What about the many Europeans and Australians who set up dive shops or restaurants in Asia? How do they get their visas and stuff? I've seen it enough to assume it's not that hard but if I wanted to just live somewhere, are most countries really that open to letting people just set up?

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit