A forum for members who haven't stopped moving just because they've produced another human being. Share ideas and information, the best and worst places to bring the kids, family travel tips and parenting stories.

Best kids backpack?

WT

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 3rd, 2006
Hi all,
I am looking for the perfect,sturdy kids backpack that will last a while and ergonomic is good.I want one of those roll ones that converts to backpack and works great both ways.I would like something that will last as she goes thru backpacks quickly.

Any ideas?
http://www.soultravelers3.com

I am always doing that
which I can not do,
in order that
I may learn how to do it.
PABLO PICASSO

kidsnall

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

WT,

I'm having similar issues finding packs for my kids. I think my kids are a little older than your daughter and I would like them to carry a fair bit. I found the Teeney Genie pack at Mountain Equipment Coop, but my husband and I are debating over how much they can carry. I figure they will mostly be carrying their packs in airports and won't need to carry them great distances. On the other hand, if they aren't able to handle it, we'll end up carrying two packs each.

I'd be interested in seeing what else is out there.
Carpe diem!

Check out our blog: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kidsnall

kidsnall

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

OK now you've got thinking about this rolling backpack thing and I've found this site which has some great links. HeHe
Carpe diem!

Check out our blog: http://blogs.bootsnall.com/kidsnall

go girl

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Hmm, we looked at those rolling backpacks and didn't like them. We may regret it though--it's hard to foresee real needs for something like this, but we will be camping a lot.

Kelty is the brand that I and the girls have settled on. They have a shorter waist length than any of the others, and since the girls will be 12 and 14 when we leave, that will be perfect, since we will purchase smaller adult packs for them. My 14 yo is 5 feet tall and unlikely to get taller, but my younger daughter is still growing.
"Those who dance are considered insane
by those who can't hear the music."
George Carlin

WT

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2006
Funny we are all thinking similar thoughts eh? My daughters only 5 and tiny and she actually really enjoys carrying a big back pack that weighs almost as much as she does ( 32lbs!) ,but since we are not backpacking, I am thinking one that you can roll and carry on your back would work best for us.

I am kind of leaning strongly towards LL bean and just heard from a friend on slow travel that its worked really well for her 3 kids both for europe travel and school.( Our two needs and they have a good rep for lasting a long time).

here

They have a better price one at landsend with good pictures ,but I don't like the colors.

We probably have a little bit different needs than you since we will mostly be in an RV for the first 2 1/2 years ( plus rental/s).I already have great luggage ,but we had to buy some more for this trip as we really need stuff that packs away flat.

So we have decided to go with the rick steves favorite carryon ( one for each of us),so my childs backpack will be primarily her toys for the trip over ( her clothes will be in the rick steves bag that goes in the overhead).

None of the rest of our bags have wheels,but we are going to buy 2 of those separate wheelie things for the airports.( We will not be in that many airports our first few years,nor will we be carrying our bags much).We have already sent two boxes of books ahead to meet us there and will send some winter clothes very soon ( the slow way so it costs less).

I hope this plan works ,we are kind of making it up as we go. Wink Feeling lots of pressure these days to get it all done before our flight leaves the first of September.

I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel tho Wink .

I am burning that candle at both ends,so I must get to bed!Thanks for your input and I hope to be more in touch when we travel and I have more time to breathe Wink

I am always doing that
which I can not do,
in order that
PABLO PICASSO

WT

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 4th, 2006
BTW, I realize it says for 7 to 12 years old for the llbean backpack,but mine will be 6 soon in the fall and I want every little bit of space I can get,so hope it will work with her pulling it and lightly loaded when she carries it.
Ones that fit her petite size ,don't hold enuf ,thus another reason for the roll for us.

I am always doing that
which I can not do,
in order that
PABLO PICASSO

Tortuga_traveller

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 27th, 2006
Unless you intend on taking them into the mountains, rolling cases with large wheels might be more practical, and better on their backs, whose bones are still forming.

Of course, making them go around with only two pairs of everything is a good lesson in future backpacking habits!!!

Kids love the idea of backpacks, but over the long haul, they often dislike the things, and you end up taking THEM as well.

My friend, who has taken kids backpacking, agrees.
Open your heart, and your dreams will follow

Return to Traveling With Children