Dust off a forgotten foreign tongue, debate the best ways to learn another language, pick up some slang in the local lingo, discuss regional dialects... It's all about being multi-lingual, baby.

Best places for language immersion - Spanish, French, Arabic

Prisa

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 26th, 2008
I'm not sure about the others...
But if you want to learn Leventine Arabic (a fantastic choice by the way) I'd go to Syria. Nawafir is a language program in Damascus that comes highly regarded. They help set you up with an individual apartment (if you like) or a home stay with a Syrian family. And the cost is reasonable.
Also you take the courses at Damascus U. And a lot less people in Syria speak English then Egypt...so it makes the immersion a little easier.

You can also go to Morocco and learn MSA at the University. But you will not get to practice it on the street, which is the actual issue.

And Maghreb Arabic is very removed from your more standard forms. Leventine is MUCH closer to the average Arabic used in the main parts of the Middle East.

Egyptian Arabic is very particular and not used much outside of the country (though widely understood).

If you do go with Leventine you'll have to learn much less MSA. Which, you will have to learn. Especially for Al Jazeera.
But if you have a good comprehension of Leventine it's not to far off.
Of cabbages -- and kings --
And why the sea is boiling hot --
And whether pigs have wings

biloute

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 17th, 2011
I don't know about Arabic, and haven't actually looked into Spanish (though my undergraduate university sent a lot of people to a language program in Ronda, Spain). However, I've been to a couple different language programs in France. They were both at universities, the first in Aix-en-Provence and the second at Strasbourg. The programs were okay, but not really what I was looking for, which was something other than traditional classroom learning, I guess. I have looked into another place in the Loire Valley that I think looks really good. It's the Coeur de France language school in Sancerre. Their website is www.coeurdefrance.com. They have a video you can watch, to see what things are like. I think if I do another language program, that'll be at the top of my list. I've talked to someone who went there, and she said it was really good.

Previous

Return to In Other Words