Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

Best Places in Europe, no one knows about

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 6th, 2006
So i figured since people comment on the over population of tourists in certain european cities, I figured I would try and start a thread based on the great places in Europe that no one knows about?

I personally would like to know what people think, since if I go back to Europe, I want to stay away from the big cities, as I have been there and done that.
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

2wanderers

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 6th, 2006
The Dadia nature reserve in Northern Greece. It's not convenient to anywhere in Greece, so few foreigners visit. The only places it's particularly convenient to get to from are Istanbul and Bulgaria.

The town of Dadia is beautiful, there's lots of hiking in the area, there's a wonderfully woodsy and decently priced (by Greek standards) hotel, and you can see all sorts of large birds that are fairly rare.

There's a lot of other good places that are only a few feet from the overcrowded places. In Ireland, I went to visit county Kerry, and by getting just off the popular "Ring of Kerry" onto some smaller roads, the people disappeared, but the terrain was still amazing. Similarly, at Pamukalle, Turkey, there's one path in the middle of the travertine pools packed solid with Russians, but if you take the path above the pools, there's almost no one, and you get better views anyway.

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 7th, 2006
mt. pilatus switzerland, near lucerne, in the winter time best views you'll ever see of snow capped mountains
Josh and Nicole aren't going anywhere for a while, but you can still read about their past trips herehttp://blogs.bootsnall.com/eppyboy

Trentt

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Southeastern Bulgaria, especially Bansko and Kovachevitza (climb to the peak of the mountain there and gaze down at Greece). In Bansko I stayed in someone's house, the upper stories of which had been converted into a hostel. There was no sign ... thank God I was with a Bulgarian friend who could ask directions (repeatedly). My alarm clock was the bells on the necks of goats and cows being herded through the tiny square outside the window.

Kovachevitza is amazing - a beautifully preserved mountainside village. Wander through the tobacco fields and you'll stumble onto an ancient Thracian graveyard, devoid of tourists and archaeologists alike. I stopped at the post office to buy stamps so I could mail postcards from Kovachevitza. The postmaster regretfully declined my request, saying she had to save her supply of stamps for locals. A woman who'd been chatting with the postmaster interceded and asked us to follow her to her office ... she thought she had a good supply of stamps and said I could buy some. Later on in the day as my friend described this incident to another villager, the man told my friend that this woman was the Mayor.

Another great spot is CÄ“sis, Latvia. It's a beatiful little town whose jewel is a half-ruined castle. For 1 lett you can tour the part that's standing (the rest is an archaeological dig), climb the tower, descend into the dungeon if you want to. The tour is self-guided and your 1 lett will get you a hardhat and a lantern with a candle so you can find your way around and not suffer concussion as you climb the twisting, cramped stairways in the pitch black.

For the charm and friendliness of a hamlet surrounded by vast fields - and a goofy name to boot - visit Erps-Kwerps, Belgium. If you ever get to Lake Como, Italy, take the funicular rail to the hidden treasure just up the hillside - Brunate. Next time you're in Estonia, get out of Tallinn and see the "real" Estonia in the university town of Tartu (visit the KGB museum there, too). In Finland, check out the world's largest wooden church (painted in a strange gray and white pattern that makes it look like marble) in Kerimaki. Go to Saxony and visit the center of European porcelain manufacturing in Meissen, then take the train from Dresden to Königstein or Bad Schandau and spend a day or two hiking through the spectacular scenery of Saxon Switzerland. Or go further, to the Czech border town of Hrensko, and see the largest natural stone arch in Europe.

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

awesome thanks!

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

I might be going to lake como this summer

Trentt

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I know I'm going to keep thinking of more to add to this list. I spent part of one of my favorite European vacations in Malta, on Gozo island. What a wonderful spot. Three of us rented a villa - an old Medieval farmhouse now attached to the neighboring houses - in the tiny village of Zebbug. From our rooftop terrace we could view the Mediterranean ... better yet, we could walk down the steep hill about 1.5 miles to the village of Marsalforn and jump in. The people were wonderful to us. It was only a few weeks after Sept. 11, 2001 that we arrived there. We'd buy fresh the fresh catch of the day out a fisherman's wheelbarrow. The greengrocer and bread truck would ring their bells as they came down our street in the mornings and I'd hail them from the kitchen window and buy food for a couple of days, exchanging money and goods as I stood in the kitchen. All the churches had two clocks - one with the wrong time to fool the Devil. The villagers were so worried about us going back to the dangers of the USA that they tried to find us jobs and convince us to stay.

What a great place!

Skimaxpower

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I fell in love with a small fishing village called Sali in Croatia. Sali is on the island of Dugi Otek and can be reached by ferry from Zadar, Croatia. There are numerous homestay options in Sail ... just ask around.

LondonCard2

Vagabonder

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 8th, 2006
My vote here goes to La Clusaz and Annecy in teh French Alps...stunning scenery and plenty to do summer or winter. I gues spople always accociate these places with winter (or teh area generally) but its a serious winner in summer as well.. An absolute delight..

I guees its gradually gaining in popularity but its still up there with my favourites!

Scarlet

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

Nice idea!
I found Bertesgaden in the south of germany absolutely beautiful and devoid of large touristy crowds. We went on a tour of the salt mines there and we were the only people who spoke english! Its got beautiful views of the alps, great hiking and skiing. I dont know what else u could ask for Smile

seraphim

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I think Lower Silesia in Poland has some of the loveliest countryside scenery in Europe. It's not completely devoid of tourists, but most are from Poland itself or Germany. Jelenia Gora and around are especially nice, with loads of pretty villages and small towns, ruined castles and palaces, etc. And the Karkonosze mountains on the Czech border (the most touristy bit) are great for views and easy to moderate hikes.
Karlien
---
Don't click here.

skobb

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

I haven't been yet, but I keep hearing great things about L'viv, Ukraine. It's supposed to be beautiful and still pretty light on tourists.

Asheai

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Wow, Trentt that was an awesome post! I absolutely want to go to each and every one of those places now. You did such a charming way of describing them...

As for great unknown places - I would have to agree with the person who recommended Annecy in the French Alps. That place was brilliant. There were a few tourists but less than we'd seen in most other places of France. You can do a trip around the area and see 13 different historical sites, mainly including castles, monasteries, and churches. Annecy Lake was beautifully clear and the alps surrounding it gave lots of opportunities for other activities.

Sali in Croatia, mentioned by someone, was also a great spot that was highly recommended to us by some locals. I can't vouch for the lack of tourists there, but it was a cute town.

I really enjoyed the town of Ghent in Belgium, which is a bit less touristed than say Brugges or Brussells. It had all sorts of historical background, plus a really pumping youth nightlife. The people in Belgium were great as well.

I really liked the town of Kotor in Montenegro. It wasn't even in my Europe guidebook but it was so pretty. It is very similar to Dubrovnik in Croatia in looks but with waaaaaay less people. We stayed at this awesome hostel there for 6 euros a night which was a private room with free internet and dinner for 60 cents. It was great!

michey_b

Niagara Addict

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2006
I stayed in Sacile, Italy last feb for the Venice Carnevale. Its about an 45mins out of Venice on the train but its such a beautiful little town.

Although I love Venice it was nice to experience a side of Italy that i had not witnessed before - a town with little or no tourists and locals going about their daily life.

Its a hard thing to find in Western Europe - i spent ages trying to think of great places in England that would qualify and couldnt come up with anything

Mich

Eppyboy

Sells Travel by the Gram

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2006
ok now shussshh...we dont want a million people going there now haha

Next

Return to Europe Travel