Figure out the best way to get from Central to South America, when you should book your accommodations for Carnaval and local language school recommendations. If it's on South America, it's in this forum.

best route to Macchu Picchu on short notice???

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 22nd, 2011
A friend and I have signed up for the fall 2011 Mototaxi Junket , which is a race across Peru on a 250cc motorbike/rickshaw hybrid. Macchu Picchu has long been at the top of my list of things to see, and I'm trying to figure out how best to get there. The junket conveniently ends in Cusco, but the problem is that I'm not 100% sure when we'll be arriving in Cusco, and we won't have the time to go the Inca trail route.

Is there any way to make it from Cusco to Macchu Picchu without booking anything whatsoever in advance? All the Macchu Picchu threads I've read make it sound like your two choices are a four day hike or a train from Cusco, both of which have to be booked well in advance. Due to time constraints we'll probably only have one day, maybe an overnight at best, so we'd like to find a way to get there really early one morning, and then come back late that evening or the following morning. Assuming the mototaxi is still running by the time we make it to Cusco, anywhere that there's a dirt road we'll be able to drive to on our own... will having our own transportation help?

Kate and Dan

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

mapriv wrote:Assuming the mototaxi is still running by the time we make it to Cusco, anywhere that there's a dirt road we'll be able to drive to on our own... will having our own transportation help?

No dirt road. In fact, train (or the Inca Trail itself are pretty much your only bets. You could take your motorbike as far as km 82 where the Inca Trail starts. It's possible to hike up along the railway tracks from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientas. It's about a seven hour hike (hiking on the train tracks is prohibited, however).

That won't likely work with your schedule. During the peak months of May to September all of the train tickets can be sold out several days in advance. But if you are there in the autumn you'll likely be able to show up in the evening and book a ticket for the next day.

So — to answer your question, having your own transportation doesn't really help. But, depending on the time you go, you may just be able to walk up and book a train ticket. Regardless, you'll have a blast. Cusco is a great time and Mach Picchu is as spectacular as people say! I was lucky enough to go about a year ago — check out the picture of Machu Picchu I snapped!

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Your best bet under the circumstances is to go by train. Going there and back in one day will not work, period; because of the duration of the train ride and the time you need to actualy visit the site.
If I were you, I would try to buy tickets at the station or even better, if you have some visibility in your schedule, get someone to buy them for you. There are plenty of agencies that can help, all you need is a bit of visibility in your schedule and $.
There are a bunch of trains running from Cusco to Aguas Caliente. The local's trains will likely have seats all the time, will just cost more for you. So I am not sure there is a real limitation in getting to Aguas Caliente. The schedule may not be perfect though. On the other hand you may not want to go back in one day ,in my opinion.
In adition Aguas Calientes is half decent. You may want to spend more than one night there anyway. Again, in my opinion.

Return to South America Travel