Plan your road trip with must-see recommendations. Information on the beaches of California to the tundras of Yukon and everywhere in between.

Best time to buy flights would be....??????

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: April 14th, 2011
We are travelling to Los Angeles in February 2012 and intend to see the Rugby sevens in Las Vegas.

I was going to book flights, but spoke to a travel agent in a shopping centre and she suggested we wait because some airlines do deals closer to intended travel dates. I was always under the assumption that flights are cheaper the earlier you can book them.

I'm not sure how popular it is to travel to Las Vegas for the Rugby Sevens.

Can anyone help me, or give me some advice?? I've been looking for websites that show costing trends, but can't really find anything that suits my needs.

Thanks xx

vagabondette74

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

Did you look at farecompare.com? Flights to vegas are almost always pretty cheap especially since you'll be coming in from the west coast. The only exceptions are during huge sports times (march madness), holidays or conventions. Since I've never heard of Rugby sevens and most people in the US have probably barely heard of rugby I can't imagine it's such a huge event that it will have a big impact on flight prices.
Traveling through Mexico and Central America starting in January '09. Hit me up if you want to meet!

busman7

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

In following travel forums for a few years now the best advise I have seen on booking flights is "when you see a price you can live with, BOOK IT".

Sure one can take a crap-shoot & hope for a last minute deal that may or may not be cheaper. Just checked CheapOair for a date the beginning of Feb 2012 $138 return doesn't seem to bad to me. Bottom line, do what feels right for you.
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/busman7 | http://wwwlasbrisasplayasandiego.blogspot.com
"I started out alone to seek adventures. You don't really have to seek them - that is nothing but a phrase - they come to you." Mark Twain

Corvinus

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Seawitch wrote:I'm not sure how popular it is to travel to Las Vegas for the Rugby Sevens.

The what?

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

LOL I figured it wasn't popular over in the US. I don't follow it myself, but the only reason I'm going to see any part of the world is because my husband is an armchair refferee LOL.

I'm just annoyed, because the travel agent pretty much confirmed hat my husband has been telling me for the past few weeks. BUT he bloody can't even organise himself to go to the shop let alone plan a holiday. So I'm a bit annoyed lol.

Thanks

Erika Ayala

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2011
What I usually do, I go to the airlines I want. Then, I subscribe to their mailing list if I don't get to see their promos on that day. It was effective because they regularly send me updates on their special promos and packages for international and domestic flights.

I don't really trust travel agents aside from the fact that they make it more expensive. You're not sure in which hotel/motel they'll book you to. You know your personal taste, so it would be better if you plan your trip yourself.

Subscribe now so that you still have time to get cheap tickets before your scheduled trip next 2012. :)
It's for the Kids!! Support Adopt A School

Seawitch

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 19th, 2011
Thanks, I already bought them - I thought $1200 return was good value, cosidering everywhere else was $2200 return!

Benna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 25th, 2011
i would suggest that you check out the theory that booking earlier is cheap as i also believe it myself. go to a airline website and check the date fartherest to current date and see how much it is costing, then check out the rates again by trying to purchse ticket for the next few days. you will know the difference and understand how it works. also i would suggest that you make a reservation soon because if you keep on waiting for too long, you might not even get a ticket so check things out and decide what you want to do!!
I love traveling. I am currently working on two websites Dubai Fun Holidays and SwissFunHolidays.com

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 5th, 2011
It seems Seawitch already bought their tickets, but for future travelers of the US...

If the issue of domestic airfare ever arises-- summertime is a killer. Tickets that are ordinarily $250 (BNA [Nashville] to LAX return, for example) shoot up to $450...ugh. And Southwest is rarely the cheapest airline, anymore.

This is true of most places, but purchasing airfare during shoulder seasons has gotten me some REALLY good deals -- such as March/April or Sept/Oct. (For example; $1130 BNA-SYD, return from AKL in April last year), or $375 (NYC-Milan return, two years ago--ticket purchased in March, trip in May), or $450 (BNA-LON return, Sept/Oct)...

It also seems that ticket prices on Kayak go up at night and weekends -- sometimes by hundreds of dollars. Try searching at different times of day and see if that makes a difference.

Return to USA & Canada Travel