Traveling with 35mm cameras, digital cameras, camcorders, film, memory cards 'n All. BootsnAll members are welcome to post their travel photo albums, documented meetings with other members and brag-shots here.

Best Travel DSLR?

peteop

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

Tags: dslr nikon travel photography d3100 d5000
  • Added on: February 24th, 2011
In your opinion which entry level DSLR is best suited for travel photography? By entry level I mean costing somewhere below $1000. Based purely on reviews from cnet. com, the cameras that look good are the Nikon D3100 and D5000. I reallllly like the fact that the D5000 has the variable position LCD monitor as I love taking pictures from weird angles.

Thanks,
Pete
A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. -Lao Tzu

Travel Photos
www.flickr.com/petepajor

Renee

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I have a Nikon D5000 and love it but now they are selling the D7000.... Both are good entry level DSLRs.... But I am a Nikon user.... ;-)

Cheers,
Renee

halfnine

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

If you are going Nikon might have a look at ken rockwell. Just scroll down to where he starts talking about DSLR and the comparisons amongst the Nikons.

I like to travel with the 18-200 VR lens. Not as good quality as a two lens system but I find this one lens allows me to get shots I would otherwise miss if I had to swap lenses. But a lot of that depends on where you travel and what you like to shoot.

Fluffy_bunny

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

I have the Nikon D5000. I LOVE the 360, live-action LCD screen. I allows for some James Bond-esque pics.
For tips and storied on Central Asia, the Middle East and Central America, check out my blog
http://joestrippin.blogspot.com

aimlesswanderer

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 25th, 2011
Though not a Nikon, I have had the Canon Rebel XS for almost three years now and I love it! If you want something entry worthy that will still take great shots and still be inexpensive ($ 4-600), try the XS. It's light, takes decent low light shots, tough as nails as I have taken her through sub zero weather, the desert, and the rain forest while still having a perfectly functioning camera, and enough options to satisfy. Conclusion, great intro bod, but buy a nice lens. There's some food for thought.

PDXnative

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 1st, 2011
If you like the swivel screens, look at the new Canon Rebel t3i.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/ ... _is_ii_kit
Planning our family RTW Trip on:
http://travel-junkies.com

Twitter: GoRTW

Return to Travel Photography, Video and Photo Albums