How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

Best Travel Job?

travel droppings

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 24th, 2010
I worked onboard cruise ships for 3 years. Best job ever for someone single, aged 20-40, and loves to party and meet new people. I actually only worked about 3 hours a day and got off in every port. I must say the amount of waste/consumption is staggering and I wont be cruising myself anytime soon, but that was an awesome job with reasonable pay.

As for bills? No, I have none. Cell phone is pay as you go. I own a very used car that sits at my sisters place while I am away. And all my belongings fit into my vehicle so when I get back from my trips, I drive to wherever I want to move next.
Work and Travel Abroad: A few ways I have worked my way around the world
All Ways Australia - Photos and tour reviews from the Outback

WanderingTrader

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 1st, 2010
I dont know if this is the coolest job but I day trade while i travel the world. Its nice because I only need high speed internet to work and can work anywhere pretty much. the only restriction is that sometimes its hard to find a constant high speed internet connection. but now that everyone in the world is catching up this is becoming less and less of a prob.

-marcello

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 3rd, 2010
Paying bills is for suckers! :woot:

WanderingTrader

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 3rd, 2010
Xanne,

Im still trying to sell my car after that i will only have a student loan payment and my $10 tmobile cell phone payment. I chose not to buy a house because I would rather travel the world. My car currently is costing me $270 + $110 for insurance. Want to buy it? lol

-marcello

VickyLynn

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 8th, 2010
I am new to the traveller scene and would love any advice on funding as I go. I would like to make a difference in the world and see the sites as I go. Leaving from the US, at this point, I am exploring South America but am also open to other fun location suggestions.

TravelWarrior

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: November 12th, 2010
worked as VIP waitresses in various nightclubs in Europe (Ireland, Italy, Spain, Greece). Pay DOES suck, but hey, met a lot of cool people!
If you like my advice, please visit travel website @ http://www.EveryoneInBetween.com

TravelingTony

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 27th, 2011
I had two jobs that were both really cool travel gigs.

The first, I was the host of a Travel Channel show called 5 Takes: Pacific Rim where I traveled around the Pacific for twelve weeks.

The second, I was an ambassador for Coca-Cola and I traveled to somewhere around 180 countries in a year searching for what makes people happy.

I was also a bike tour guide in Munich, Germany and that was pretty sweet as well but I'm not sure if that counts.
Having been to around 180 countries in my 31 years, I've seen a lot of crazy, a lot of cool and a lot of characters. This is where I let it out: http://www.travelingtony.com

heymikey

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2011
TravelingTony wrote:I had two jobs that were both really cool travel gigs.

The first, I was the host of a Travel Channel show called 5 Takes: Pacific Rim where I traveled around the Pacific for twelve weeks.

The second, I was an ambassador for Coca-Cola and I traveled to somewhere around 180 countries in a year searching for what makes people happy.

How did you manage to get those two jobs?

Some people just have all the luck in the world.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time" -- Fight Club

TravelingTony

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: January 28th, 2011
The
heymikey wrote:How did you manage to get those two jobs?

Some people just have all the luck in the world.

The first gig, I was watching TV and saw a commercial asking for video submissions for a chance to host this show. I'd just bought a stolen video camera and I figured I'd give it a try.

The second... well, after the first gig, they taught me how to film and edit travel videos. I kept at it and continued to teach myself, eventually making some pretty cool vids for lonelyplanet.tv. When Coca-Cola was searching for applicants, the asked Lonely Planet if they knew anyone qualified who wanted to apply and LP sent the application to me. I got invited to a one week long interview in Atlanta and it all went from there.

I agree that luck has a little something to do with it but I decided a while ago that I wanted to do travel journalism and I've been working my butt off trying to put myself in the position to capitalize on those 'lucky' opportunities when they come :)
Having been to around 180 countries in my 31 years, I've seen a lot of crazy, a lot of cool and a lot of characters. This is where I let it out: http://www.travelingtony.com

vapourlock

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 6th, 2011
It's interesting to note that some of us like to travel so much that we design our life around it (Including jobs and businesses).

My very first post on the forum was a question I had about "how much will I need to travel?". A part of that post was about my self-employment as a freelancer. I maintain that freelancing on the web is the best thing to do. It pays well enough if you know what to do and you can literally travel and work -- "Workation".

Benna

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: February 26th, 2011
i think it should be something that is fulfilling, pays your bills and helps you to learn something good, i think a translators job is really good when it comes to funding your travel and doing a travel job. if not this, then working in some embassy related to your own country or teaching kids your native language is a good job, i would love to do this type of job!!
I love traveling. I am currently working on two websites Dubai Fun Holidays and SwissFunHolidays.com

WestportClan

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 9th, 2011
Michael Palin had the best travel job when he was making 'Full Circle', 'Himalaya', 'Pole to Pole' and all the others. To travel for months on end to all the remote, obscure places whilst getting paid for it and making a travel documentary before travel documentaries were cool... :)

Hydro

Community Manager

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 11th, 2011
Some articles on BnA that would seem to be appropriate here:

Looking for a travel deal? deals.BootsnAll.com
Support a developing world entrepreneur. Join the BootsnAll Kiva Group

Straum

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: May 3rd, 2011
I sold shells by the seashore one summer... and creatures made of shells, and shell necklaces, and shell plant holders and shell back scratchers. I was an official beach bum that year. I think riding the seasonal labor circuit is pretty awesome and has a lot of opportunities (beach or mountains) :).
Netherlands in April, Pacific Northwest in June, then on up to work at the family business, a Victoria BC hotel for tourist season... then a hop over to Montreal for the fall (hopefully)! A traveler's life for me!

Previous

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit