How do you put together the finances for your travels, long-term or short-term? What do you sacrifice in order to save up the necessary cash? What's your best money-saving tip on the road? Share your money tips - and pick up a few - right here.

Best Travel Job?

TravelGearBlog

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: March 6th, 2007
I was wondering what the coolest job anyone had while traveling?

I worked in Alaska for 6 months racing sled dogs. I didnt make any money, but it was fun and free!
Pura Vida-
Daved Brosche
CostaRicaLogue

Kotte

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

That sounds like a lot of fun...

I did a hyena survey in Lilongwe, Malawi.
With an armed guard I went out into the mid-city bush to map and count the 80-some hyenas.

Later I led a team of 15 Malawians to build nightcages for vervetmonkeys and baboons.

It was an interesting time.
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Home, one feels once more happy. The blood flows with the fast circulation of childhood . . . A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope, the three sister Graces of our moral being." - Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton

karinada

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This is a "volunteer position" but with free board/ food. But working on the Peace Boat as an english instructor sounds pretty amazing. www.peaceboat.org I've gone to visit them when they dock here and it just looks like such a great way to see the world (+ do something productive)

Nick

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 15th, 2007
Commercial fishing in Alaska.

Launching a boat just after sunrise in the Alaskan summer. Cook Inlet is like a mirror, with white-capped volcanos in the background. On days like that I'd think people would pay to be there. On cold nights when it was rough I didn't feel so enthusiastic.

Texas Otter

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 18th, 2007
Working as a rock climbing guide in the summer and ski/snowboard guide in the winter is a small Swiss village called Kandersteg. Pay was beyond horrible, but the view was amazing!
"Trips are not trips to me. They have to be expeditions. I blame this all on Lord Baden-Powell"- Jimmy Buffett
www.DnMAdventures.com | www.metrobloggen.se/AmericanDad

trekker

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

Being the morning bartender at the Bomvu hostel in coffee bay and living in a tent for 2 1/2 mths.

Nothing quite like living 5sec from the ocean!

Trekker
"A trekking we shall go - preferably thru mud!!!"
Seattle Guide | My photos

trekker

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

just checked into that peace boat teacher position that Karinada mentioned. Looks super awesome, but of course for this years journey they can't accept any US citizens or US residents since they are going to be docking in Cuba.

Which is a super bummer cause I was just about to apply for it.

Trekker
"A trekking we shall go - preferably thru mud!!!"
Seattle Guide | My photos

TylerDurden

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: March 24th, 2007
quote:
Working as a rock climbing guide in the summer and ski/snowboard guide in the winter is a small Swiss village called Kandersteg. Pay was beyond horrible, but the view was amazing!

Not to mention the Cardinal..... Course, I heard if you ended up there, you wouldn't be going home single. Who knows?

Littlemustard

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2007
how did you guys find all of these interesting jobs on the road??? I would really love some advice on how these things pop up.

thanks!

Kotte

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 20th, 2007
Keep your eyes open, talk to people and ask around...
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands. Shaking off with one mighty effort the fetters of Habit, the leaden weight of Routine, the cloak of many Cares and the slavery of Home, one feels once more happy. The blood flows with the fast circulation of childhood . . . A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope, the three sister Graces of our moral being." - Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton

DavidAM

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: April 6th, 2010
Is there ever a language barrier when you're in a foreign country asking around for jobs? How do you make friends with people or talk to your boss when you two barely speak the same language?
"Change is the essence of life. Be willing to surrender what you are for what you could become."

Sea of Derailments - http://davidamis.wordpress.com
DavidAM Bandcamp - http://davidam.bandcamp.com

Wild Jasmyne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 6th, 2010
I am currently working in a small hotel in Bamako, Mali. I work in reception and also work as the night bartender. Only making $150 US a month but it is so much fun and such a beautiful location plus we have a monkey I can play with! Wouldn't trade it for anything at this point! There is a lot of bars and nightclubs here that are lookign for foreign women to come work, it increases their clientele.

Skylab

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2010
Hardly work but worked at a hostel in Mancora for a few weeks and had a hell of a time. I think my up coming English teaching position will top that off though.
DJSkylab.com: My blog :)
ArtOfBackpacking.com: Backpacking Independent International Traveler
"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol

partymarty4870

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 7th, 2010
working on charter yachts in the whitsundays - I never left Nth Qld
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Xanne

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 9th, 2010
Sure sounds like you guys have plenty of fun while being overseas! :D

Don't you guys have bills to pay though?
Meet travel friends and explore the world with WorldFriends -- the International community where you can find new friends who love travel.

Next

Return to Funding Your Travel Habit