Information on the most visited continent in the world. Learn about Eurailing in the summer, travel through post-communist countries and what to do in Paris with a 12-hour layover.

best way to view the alps from Austria or Munich?

Aaronsmity

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: July 13th, 2006
I will be in munich for 4 nights and austria for 3 nights and was wondering the best way to go see the alps would be.. i know grayline and panorama tours both have tours to the alps but it does not tell me much nor do i know what the views will be like so any kind of help would be appreciated. They both have bavarian alps tours as well as hitlers eagles nest tours but i am not sure how good they are. I have an unlimited railpass if that helps, thanks.

Darkmire

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 13th, 2006
If you're looking for some gorgeous scenery, then you should go to Newschwanstein castle. Its about a 3 hour train ride from Munich which makes it an entire day endevour. The castle is much like the one you see above the Walt Disney Logo and is sitting at the top of the alps above a gorge with flowing waterfalls that run through the gorge. The hike up or down (your choice) is absolutely spectacular. I highly recommend it. This is a highly popular tourist thing from Munich. Having a railpass makes it free to get there almost. You take the 3 hour train to Fussen and then a 10 minute bus ride which costs like 1.50 Euro and that puts you at the base of the castle. Theres another little palace there which is cool, but not nearly as phenomanol as Crazy king Ludwigs castle. Supposedly the castle broke Buvaria.

As for Austria, my favorite thing that I did in my 5 weeks in Europe was the Ice caves in Werfen (about 45 minutes from Salzburg). This one is also free transportation with railpass. This is not for the weak of heart though. If you want an extreme adventure that will stay in your memory for the rest of your life, hike the whole way up. It will take a good 6 hours or more but you see some beautiful scenery along the way and it truly is an adventure. Or if you want the easy way, you can take the train into the town, wait for the bus and then you only have a 20 minute hike to a gondola which will take you to the top. This will also leave time to see the fortress which sits up on the top of a cliff above the city.

Kathrin

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 14th, 2006
If you think Neuschwanstein is "on top of the Alps", you have never actually seen the Alps...
The castle, about the most crowded tourist trap in the whole of Germany, is more or less on the edge of the mountains, which are not that high in that area. The landscape is gorgeous indeed, but the whole thing is too much "Kitsch" imho.

For some real mountain scenery, I'd recommend catching a train from Munich to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. There, go up the Zugspitze by cable car. The view is spectacular if, and only if, it's clear, so choose a day with fine weather. Otherwise it's not worth going up.

Stoo

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

Maybe you could travel between Munich and Vienna via train through the Alps via Sargans (or somewhere else) that would take you roughly East-West through Austria. Somewhere along the line you could hope out for a while. Not sure how long the train journey would be but would guess around 8 hours.
"No. I was talking about the hooker in Reno" -- BostonBill @ the BOOTCOM10 Hostel

Llalewyn

World Citizen

Share on Orkut

I would recommend taking the train to Salzburg and heading on a south bound train that goes to Villach. That train goes through some very mountainous areas. Hop out somewhere alond the way.

Darkmire

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

Agreed, Neuschwanstein is not at the peak of the Alps, but it certainly is in them, and the scenery is still spectacular. As for it being a tourist trap, I didn't find it to be terribly overcrowded. A giant castle stands out and yes you're going to have to endure some people like yourself. But there are some great hiking trails around the castle and the inside of the castle is out of a fairy tale.

andrei morosan

Knows What a Schengen Visa Is

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2006
this is me at the border between italy ad austria, tarvisio pass. behind me are the italian alps.

Elis

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 15th, 2006
I{d take Kathrin{s advice. Also, people make the mistake of calling every darn hill in Austria "the Alps", but they´re not. The best mountain scenery starts in Salzburg and goes West from there, especially the borderregions between western Austria and Italy is nice, the mountains in Carinthia (which is where Villach is) are many not the Alps but other chains such as the karpathians. But in Carinthia you do get the Grossglockner too, which is a very high mountain in the alps.

It might be best to get some competent advice from avid hikers in Munich. Try an outdoor store (Lauche and Mass for instance). They might be able to point you towards the parts of the Alps best for you and possibly sell you the hicking maps as well.

Aaronsmity

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 16th, 2006
wow thanks for the great replys, i guess i am not making the most out of my railpass because i was going to do the grayline tour of NEUSCHWANSTEIN and LINDERHOF and it has a stop in Oberammergau... it is $60 plus $12 entrance fee but maybe i should just use my railpass and pay the entrance fees, how far away is Linderhof and Oberammergau? do you think it is worth it to do a guided tour for it? since i will already be out there what else should i see that day?

Return to Europe Travel