Discuss and debate travel gear: backpacks, boots, packing stuff and all things technical like phones, mp3 players, GPS systems and other techno-gadgets.

Better alternative to macabi skirt for SE Asia??

shoelessone

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: June 16th, 2008
My girlfriend really wants to purchase one of these: http://www.macabiskirt.com/ for our quickly approaching 5 month trip to SE Asia, but we are on a fairly tight supply budget and before she "pulls the trigger" so to speak I wanted to see if anybody here could recomend a better/cheaper/more practical solution for our trip to SE Asia.

Thanks for any help!

janetlynne

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: June 29th, 2008
I just bring a regular lightweight skirt. It packs up tiny and is wonderful. I find the macabi skirt thing very unattractive

sandra_gal101

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 2nd, 2008
wow, that skirt is expensive!
---------------------------------
---------------------------------
Towelini - The Amazing Travel Towel and Sarong combination **World's best Travel Towel

RobinMarie

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 2nd, 2008
I always thought the macabi was trying to do too much. I'm looking at getting this one.

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/CTW0005/Contour...le-Skirt-Womens.html

If your girlfriend somehow ends up gettng it let me know if she likes it Smile

The Road Forks

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 8th, 2008
I would suggest going to Target or Walmart and buying one of those "broomstick" skirts. They're just really lightweight cotton skirts that go down past your knee and have wrinkles already in them, so they are quick and easy to dry. Alternatively, if she waits until she is in Asia, she'll probably find something similar for a fraction of the price.
Our minds (and waistlines) expand as we travel, eat, and cook our way around the world: http://www.theroadforks.com

legalnomads

Lost in Place

Share on Orkut

• Added on: July 10th, 2008
Agree with Trapped Artist. I actually didn't use my Macabi once. Instead, I always wore a cheap jersey skirt that I bought at Old Navy. I didn't care about it getting dirty or scrunched up (it doesn't wrinkle), it doesn't stick to my legs like the Macabi skirt does and I could wash and put in the dryer without worrying about ruining the fabric. And it air dried pretty quick too. Definitely leaving the Macabi at home for the 2nd leg of my trip.

-J.
Legal Nomads: Proving That Even Lawyers Can Have Fun | Twitter

Moonfire

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 5th, 2008
ANYTHING is a better option. Those skirts look like something the dog dragged in.

I do have a khaki skirt made by Travelsmith. It's not stylish, but washes easily and dries in a few minutes. It works out nicely when I need to look presentable. A large sarong fills in when I want a skirt type garment that is more casual (and doubles for swimsuit cover up, shawl, airplane blanket, picnic blanket, towel, washcloth, dress, etc.)
Moonfire

evening

Guidebook Dependent

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2008
My favorite travel skirt is the wrap ones Patagonia sells now, but it doesnt have pocket. Its not cheap either, but I can even wear it to work... Just got a Columbia one with huge cargo pockets on the side for $19!

The skirt that took me through SE Asia is an Ex-Officio with the passport sized pocket inside the waist band and slits up the side. Pretty sexy for what it is, but long enough that you can wear into temples with no problem, and makes squatting easy!
Check out my site - suitcaseready.com
I am not Guidebook Dependent!

RobinMarie

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: August 6th, 2008
You know, Squatting ease is definitely something I never thought about...but obviously hugely important. Great point.

Return to Travel Gear & Gadgets