The home for BootsnAll.com members - talk with other travelers, ask questions that don't fit anywhere else and learn more about the BnA community.

Between trips?

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

This thread doesn't have any tags.

You can still check out the tag index though.

What are tags?
  • Added on: December 9th, 2010
Hi wanderers and wanderlust-ers! (Although this post is more for those who fall in the second category...)

For those of us sitting at home, living through our comrades currently out on adventures... I'm curious!

Are you in recover mode or saving mode?
If you're in recover mode: Where did you come from and when did you get back?
In you're in saving mode: Where are you going and when are you leaving?
needle girl, haystack world: tales of a television producer in search of adventure.

purplepixie

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 10th, 2010
I think I'm permanently both recovering and saving!!!

6-month Central America trip this year came back in July to a job here in London. Working towards an extended vagabonding adventure (India, SEAsia, down to WHVs in Oz and then NZ.....) probably leaving in about 12 months time

In the meantime, though, mini-adventures abound - a week in Malta, city break in Edinburgh, 2.5 weeks in USA......and I have already planned for the new year, city break in Dublin and 2.5 weeks in Thailand/Cambodia! It's delaying my saving, but keeping me sane......

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

I'm in saving mode!

I'm leaving in October for Russia: taking the Trans-Mongolian through Russia, Mongolia, and it'll drop me off in Beijing. I plan to go through China, SEA, then WHV it in Australia! Depending on funds, I'll hit up some SA on my way back home to Chicago.

I'm keeping sane by reading novels that take place in places I want to visit, watching travel related movies, lurking on BnA, and there's some talk between my friends of going to Peru and hiking the Inca Trail this summer.

How does everyone else keep sane in between trips??
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

I'm with purplepixie in a permanent recovering & saving mode.

2 months after returning from an 11 mo RTW I embarked on a 30 day 10,000km 5 country road trip from Ontario Canada to my new home in El Salvador.

Now contemplating the ultimate road-trip, across Canada from east to west followed by the Pan-Am Highway from Prudeau Bay to Tera del Fuego.

Then there's the Silk Route &------- :banana:
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

larizzle

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

lauracatherine wrote:I'm in saving mode!

I'm leaving in October for Russia: taking the Trans-Mongolian through Russia, Mongolia, and it'll drop me off in Beijing. I plan to go through China, SEA, then WHV it in Australia! Depending on funds, I'll hit up some SA on my way back home to Chicago.

That sounds amazing! How long are you going to be gone?
needle girl, haystack world: tales of a television producer in search of adventure.

monkeymia

Thorn Tree Refugee

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 11th, 2010
I am between trips now, just got back from a short weekend away in Sydney where we had a hot air balloon flight at dawn, did the bridge climb (Sydney Harbour Bridge) and a ghost tour of the Rocks.

Now we are madly saving for my 2 week trip to England and Ireland as well as the family holiday to Tasmania to see our family over Christmas 2011.
Melanie.

purplepixie

Armchair Traveler

Share on Orkut

My stay sane/satisfy the wanderlust strategies include:
- mini-adventures (weekend trips/few week trips) although these eat into my savings...
- researching future travels
- reading travel writing stuff - books, blogs, forums
- keeping in touch with backpacker friends from around the world
- hosting backpacker friends visiting me - I live in London though so this is more common for me I guess!

I love living in London though, you can be a permanent tourist living here, there is so much to do. A lot of my friends here are travel-types too it's a very international city - there are 5 nationalities in my house of 7 for example, 3 nationalities in my workplace....

lauracatherine

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

larizzle wrote:
lauracatherine wrote:I'm in saving mode!

That sounds amazing! How long are you going to be gone?

This is the best part: I don't know! I'll be quitting my job to travel, so there's no pressure there. I think it's really dependent on the WHV and the job market in Oz. Or if I get burnt out quickly. I'd imagine at least a year...
"i'm on my way, don't know where i'm goin..."~Paul Simon, Me and Julio

Felix the Hat

Extra Pages in Passport

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 15th, 2010
Planning mode here. Within the next year or two, I'd like to open an office in South America, probably Bogotá, Buenos Aires, or possibly Lima. Obviously I'll have to make exploratory trips.

KathrynD

Squat Toilet Professional

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 15th, 2010
I'm in short term travel mode right now. A week or two here and there since I have about 5 weeks vacation allotment. I figure about 3 more years in this job and then I'll hit the road big time.

In the meantime, 2011 looks like:
1) Hawaii for a week and a half in June
2) Yellowstone for a week or so sometime later in the summer
3) Amsterdam in December. It's for fun, but since my boss works in the Netherlands, I'm hoping I might be able to spend a longer time if I come up with some work excuse to be there.

That's my preliminary planning.

Maestra LE

Holds PhD in Packing

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 18th, 2010
I'm currently in planning/saving mode, although the saving is going much more slowly than I would like, since my only income at the moment is from music gigs. Staying sane through short trips: I'm off to Oregon on Wednesday, and then to Scotland a week after that.

My original plan was to save up a substantial pile of money, and then embark on a long-term RTW at the latter end of 2011. Now I'm thinking that if I haven't gotten a steady job by the end of April, I'll just go ahead and go in May, with the money I currently have. Now the question is, do I go to Australia on a WHV, or drive the Pan-American highway? :D

busman7

Began Gap Year Trip Six Years Ago

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 19th, 2010
Maestra LE wrote:I'm currently in planning/saving mode, although the saving is going much more slowly than I would like, since my only income at the moment is from music gigs. Staying sane through short trips: I'm off to Oregon on Wednesday, and then to Scotland a week after that.

My original plan was to save up a substantial pile of money, and then embark on a long-term RTW at the latter end of 2011. Now I'm thinking that if I haven't gotten a steady job by the end of April, I'll just go ahead and go in May, with the money I currently have. Now the question is, do I go to Australia on a WHV, or drive the Pan-American highway? :D

If you decide on the Pan Am you'll have to stop by La Libertad, El Salvador & say Hi.
"Being normal? Ugh. I can't imagine how awful that must be" unknown

Andromeda

Street Food Connoisseur

Share on Orkut

• Added on: December 20th, 2010
Currently in saving, but very soon to be spending mode! :D

My lease is up February 1st and my tentative date to defend my M.S. thesis is January 20, so I really oughta go and buy that one-way ticket to Zanzibar already. BUT I haven't because I'm hesitant to buy a ticket before I actually know I'll be done, so it's probably going to be slightly more expensive than I'd like by the time these details are fleshed out! :?

Trip will be Eastern Africa, Nepal, China, Indonesia, then not certain but probably Oz and NZ to visit some old friends. :) And then hopefully settling down into a PhD program in Europe (either UK, Netherlands, or Germany- Bonn already wants an interview, so that's awesome) because then it'd be like traveling all the time. Can't wait.

Return to BootsnAll Members' Forum